SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about a m17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a m17 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all I have a question about possibly picking up a M17. All of my Sig's have aluminum frames was never a polymer guy but I like the look and feel of the m17 . My question is if you have one do you feel much of a difference compared to the aluminum frames . And mostly how do
you like it thanks in advance

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I had both an M11 and 229 and replaced them with an RXP X full and M17-p320. I prefer the striker fired guns, granted both guns have Wilson grip modules. You could get the AXG, aluminum frame with a 320 fire control.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the most part an M17 feels like a Sig in the shape of the grip and the angle. The trigger is different - not DA of a P226, but not the crisp SA either. But the trigger is metal and not plastic and other than some rolling creep at the break it's a lot better than a Glock, for example.

The slide height and sight picture are familiar as well, so overall moving from a Classic Sig to a P320 is probably less of a change than any other striker fired pistol. Plus they are rather easy to shoot accurately. Just get at least a Sig flat trigger to install, or a Grayguns flat if you want the adjustability. If you want smaller or larger grip frames, you can get them from Sig, or you can try the X-Full/X-Carry frame. After trying everything I have settled on the Wilson Combat frames.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just spent a year with an issued M17. It’s a great gun, nice step up from the M9 (and I didn’t hate the M9 like most do.) That said I’m not trading in my P226 or P6 for one...but a P365 is on the way!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have grown to like the M17 quite a bit in terms of how it handles and shoots. True it does feel different than it’s alloy framed counterparts, as plastic doesn’t have the same feel as metal. That said, it feels fine in the hand to me, as do my other polymer guns, albeit maybe slightly too heavy when unloaded. You should shoot one and see how you like it. I have found that usually if I like the feel of a gun I will enjoy it in live fire though this is not always the case.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
Different feel definitely but a great shooting pistol with a solid trigger out of the box. It is every bit the equal to the P226 in terms of accuracy and handling. You won't regret buying one.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1743 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice I'm going to stop by the shop this week and try and make a decision . These Sig's are quite habit forming lol

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always a SAO or DA/SA snob but have acquired some striker fired pistols. My experience is that here is a pretty wide variation in trigger feel between like model pistols, I think the stock triggers on my HK VP9 and VP9SK are the crispest with the least amount of take up, while the P320's are second best. Glock's are to me third with the most creep and "spongiest" for lack of a better term .

To me it's luck of the draw. I always try to check the trigger pull of a particular pistol before I buy.

FWIW

Posts: 209 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I recently traded into a commercial m17. It was unfired, NIB, with the thumb safety, and with the 4# trigger installed. The Sig feels a lot like a 1911 in that the trigger has a very short two stage roll trigger, and the thumb safety is right where you'd expect it to be. The bore height is a little taller than my G19, but with a little trigger time I think I can get my times down to similar splits. Overall I like it better than the Glock, and it's modular construction makes it easy to configure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Having owned P226s for 30 years, I am really liking the P320 series. I own a number of P320s and feel that the Carry models are the most practical for all around use.

If you prefer the feel of a metal framed pistol, you can always add the grip weight and mag well funnel to an X frame grip module, that does a lot to make the pistol seem more solid and reduce the "plasticky" feel.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3ACR_Scout
posted Hide Post
I shot one for the first time about a month ago and was very pleasantly surprised by the trigger and overall accuracy and ergonomics, after starting with Sig classics and then moving to Glocks about a decade ago. I will probably retire from the military without ever going back to a line unit to be issued one, but I'd like to get one as a memento (to go with my commemorative M9). Unfortunately, it seems like no one has had MIL/LE commercial M17s in stock for months, so I'm holding out for one for now.

"We are being slaughtered."

- Unidentified Insurgent, Operation Restoring Rights, Tall Afar, Iraq, September 2005

Posts: 128 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post