SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Break in for 365 XL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Break in for 365 XL Login/Join 
posted
Just purchased a 365XL and want to get ammo to break it in. I can't find info anywhere on this? Is there a specific way to break in these Sigs? My old Kimber 1911 was to fire 500 rds of FMJ as a break in.
Thx!

Posts: 5 | Registered: July 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There is no "break in" period. Just shoot various ammo through it, including your intended carry ammo. Welcome to the forum.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Quality modern pistols shouldn't require a "break-in" period.

However, you'll want to take it out and shoot it, starting with range ammo, to verify that it functions properly and that the sights are aligned to your liking.

And then you'll want to test it with several magazines of your defensive load of choice, to ensure that it works reliably with that round specifically.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just loaded my 365xl with ammo and shot it. 300 flawless rounds so far. It goes bang every time.

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I 'broke' my standard P365 in with 147gr and 124gr fmj. Not any issue from the start.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to get the factory goop off of it with a good cleaning and lubrication. The factory goop is a preservative not lubricant.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. MWC, the pistol comes with a preservative on it?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by citykid:
[T]he pistol comes with a preservative on it?

I haven’t seen any sticky “goop” on a new SIG pistol in many years. My P365 had a bit of light oil on parts and all I did was wipe the outside of the barrel and put a drop of Lucas gun oil on it.

My review is nearby, but I didn’t even think to mention the preservative oil because other than the drop of Lucas I just loaded it up and started shooting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Can I just say what a difference disassembling this pistol is compared to my old Kimber 1911?
The Sig was nice and easy.
The Kimber is such a friggin' process. And difficult.
Very happy.

The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

My 365XL didn't really require a break-in per se, though I did run a couple hundred rounds of 115 and 124 gr FMJ, and probably 50 rounds of JHPs through it, just to make sure there were no issues. And there weren't. I love the 365XL. Congrats on yours!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bschuu
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

Also, the P365XL is a little beauty. Congrats!

As for a "break in" period. Zero time is needed. However, You'll need a .050" allen wrench to tweak the RDS. My first time shooting the 365XL, I shot 150 rounds total, 80 PMC Bronze 115g, 50 Fiocchi 115g, 20 Hornady Custom 124g all cycled flawlessly.

I like it so much, it's taken over as my EDC in work environment over my P320C. Again, congrats on the great purchase!!

"I've heard it said that God made all men, but Samuel Colt made all men equal."

Posts: 138 | Location: CA --> TN | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Break in? Nonesense. Just take it to the range (you do go to the range right?)

Shoot it, and carry it, It's fine.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything mechanical can fail or be put together poorly. I consider 300 rounds my check in for most new guns. 250 in range ammo and 50 rounds of the self defense ammo I intend to use.

I do up this to 500 rounds for 1911's as they can be a little more finicky.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
My XL wouldnt go into battery after firing when I first got it. I was using 115 gr Win white box. The slide would hang up about a millimeter and the slightest pressure would snap it back into battery. Did this for the first 300 rounds. Someone here told me to run 200 rounds of + p. So I broke into my case of speer gold dot + p. Ran great and now it shoots reg ammo fine.

So mine did need a break in. Wish it didnt happen. I was about to ship it back.

Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I did a 200 round reliability check before starting to carry it. No break in needed apparently. 0 malfunctions from the start.

I DID buy a maglula because of how stiff the springs were though.

I have a regular 365, not a XL, but it shouldn't matter.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:

I DID buy a maglula because of how stiff the springs were though.

I got a Sig Sauer P365 XL 9mm pistol today, and I was wanting to know the same thing - if there was a break-in period. The only pistol that was obvious needing a break-in period was a Glock 23. For about the first 100 or so rounds, I was getting consistent brass to the face, but it finally came around. I'm hoping this new pistol hits the range running on all cylinders.

To add, WHAT IN THE HECK IS THE DEAL WITH THE STIFF SPRINGS!!! Gosh dang, the mags say 12 but getting just 5 in them is a HUGE challenge! I took the mags apart to clean/lube them AND to see if there was some commie spacer inside of them possibly limiting capacity...but nothing strange found.

Hope to find some ammo soon so I can get some range time in. And again, hopefully a box of ball and a box of JHPs will get me going to where I'm confident to go forth with it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post