SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just how many rounds of .22LR are out there?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just how many rounds of .22LR are out there? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
That's an interesting post, thanks for doing it.

Some comments: When I was young I tried to be a shooter. 2 problems presented themselves. To get to the city dump I had a choice between walking on suburban streets or hiking a much shorter distance through a county park. That last was the most attractive because even in the 1960 time frame, some cops were anti gun and anti teenager. The park was the preferred path.

But it included hiking in the open to some extent. I usually walked a little longer and hung to the tree lines. The other problem I had was lack of ammo. Even 60 years ago. But it was based on financial concerns - I was usually broke. As in not having enough coin to even buy a soft drink. But at the dump others shot, too.

I wasn't above picking up others dropped rounds. They had to be wiped off because sand and grit didn't lead to a long life even to my used and cheap 22. All I could afford, and I was happy to have it. Dropped rounds were everywhere, and my wealthy peers were too good to bend over and pick them up. To me, it just meant more ammo for free. Even back then they'd shoot until they had no more. And it was a dump so my betters had nothing against littering.

I also noticed I never shot my last round. Or my last gun full, or even my last box. I think that is hereditary. My dad was a cheap ass and I inherited that trait. But I always had more ammo to shoot.

It also taught me to aim instead of just shooting. If the above article is correct, the new shooters aren't really learning to aim, and the extra round expended are mostly wasted.

I also wonder what the distribution of sales will be. How many are going to New York state and how many will sell in rural Georgia. I suspect demand will control and the rural and similar places will get the lions share, with not as much going to Kali and other liberal hells. I may be wrong on that, but as they often require some hoops to jump through to buy, I'm guessing not.

Anyone remember the good old days when every hardware store had a shelf behind the cash register with a selection of 22s and 12 gauge shells?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, doing the math based on the possibility that there are 65 million owners of 22 LR guns in the country (half way between 50 and 80 million), a billion rounds would require them to own 15.4 rounds each. A trillion, however, is a thousand billion, and that would require an average ownership of 15,400 each. That I believe is unlikely.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved to Alaska we drove through Canada, i looked up transporting ammo and saw a 5k limit, i immediately was worried and called thier firearms bureau.

I asked if that was 5k per car or per person, they said it had been bumped up to 10k per person.

I still had to get rid of some before we made the trip.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Okay, doing the math based on the possibility that there are 65 million owners of 22 LR guns in the country (half way between 50 and 80 million), a billion rounds would require them to own 15.4 rounds each. A trillion, however, is a thousand billion, and that would require an average ownership of 15,400 each. That I believe is unlikely.

I have more 22lr than that right now, but I'm a special case. Wink

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting on 7500 or so rounds of .22.

I stopped buying when I realized I wasn't shooting that much of it, and I was simply changing how my kids were going to get my coin.

However, if it looks like a democrat will win the presidency, I'll go buy another 10k or so, just in case we go back to an Obama drought.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I only have 3,000 or 4,000 rounds on hand. I need to do some Black Friday shopping...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post