SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Buying a 10mm 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a 10mm 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Haven't owned a 1911 but have developed a hankering to add one to the collection and have decided to get it in 10mm. Money a factor but not the controlling factor. Want 5" barrel for range, field carry and some CCW. Want it capable of Underwood, BB on occasions but mostly use Sig or other mid-power loads.

Choices a Colt Delta, Ruger, Dan Wesson all look pretty nice. Any opinions on what I should pick or look for?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1554 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
You'll get a good gun from any of those manufactures, however, the Dan Wessons I've used are top notch. If I were able, my next gun would be the Dan Wesson Bruin.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson will have the best out of the box fit and finish.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the various 10MM cartridges(Auto & Magnum) along with the 1911 platform

Funny thing is I only have three 1911s chambered for the 10MM Auto cartridge.

My first was a Colt Delta Gold Cup that I purchased back in the 1990s that I still own and shoot, then there is the 7" AMT Javelina and the custom Long Slide I built a few summers ago when STI was blowing out 40 caliber slides

While I also own a 10MM Auto conversion for my LAR Grizzly, I just do not put it in the 1911 category. Big Grin

From your choices, I would be buying a Colt Delta today if I wanted a 5" or the Dan Wesson Bruin if I was looking for a long slide and yes I do feel that the 10MM Auto cartridge benefits from having the 6" barrel, however that long barrel could hamper your plans to use this as a concealed carry firearm.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 Delta Elites and would be willing to part with one if you are interested. Ive never shot a DW 1911 but I hear nothing but good things about them.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I've got a Colt Delta Elite. I like the way it shoots, and I love the way it looks. It is reliable and seems to be reasonably well made (although I think Colt skimped on the safety and beaver tail fit.). My only gripe about it is that it really tears up the brass. I get a pretty significant bulge at the bottom of the case with the SIG Elite Performance ammo, which is a mid-range 10mm load. I am told that this shouldn't happen, even with the Colt's lack of complete case support.

I like my Delta Elite and will not sell it. (Although I think I'm gonna send it out to Wilson Combat for some tuning and a ramped barrel). If I could do it again, I would go with a Dan Wesson RZ-10. For the extra money you get MUCH higher quality and superior case support.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna chime in and say " Dan Wesson Bruin" if you can swing it!!!!! Mine is an amazing pistola!! It will handle almost anything!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson Classic V-Bob in 10mm. Commander size with bobbed grip. The pistol is scary accurate!

If you're looking to spend less money, I hear good things about Rock Island Arsenal, believe it or not.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wanted to have one too, but How true is that 1911 in 10mm caliber is "prone to frame cracking"? Is that only for Colts of certain vintages? or all 1911 brands/makes? is it only for high round count 10mm 1911s? or happens even with low round count frames?

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
wanted to have one too, but How true is that 1911 in 10mm caliber is "prone to frame cracking"? Is that only for Colts of certain vintages? or all 1911 brands/makes? is it only for high round count 10mm 1911s? or happens even with low round count frames?

I think this was only the case with some of the early Colt Delta Elites. Of course, Colt pioneered the 1911 as a 10mm platform, so the fact that they had a problem early on makes sense. As of yet, I haven't heard of problems with any of the other brands. In fact, I have heard people swear by some of the least expensive 10mm 1911's out there. If you go to 10mm-firearms.com, which is a forum for all things 10mm, you will hear the members swear by the Rock Island 10mm, which can be had for under $600.00.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my DW Sportsman. Very fun gun to shoot. Dan Wesson makes great guns.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
While it is true that a crack occurred, if you understand where it cracked and what the solution was you will realize this is another blown out of proportion Urban Legend of 1911s not being strong enough for the 10MM Auto cartridge

1911s have a hole through the frame where the slide stop is located. Not the pin side of the slide stop that goes through to the other side, but the actual slide catch.

As you can see that cutout for the slide catch goes up to the rail. The frame slightly flexes along that "bridge" of metal. With the increased recoil of the 10MM Auto cartridge the flex is enough that the thin part occasionally crack. Alloy framed 1911s chambered in 45ACP have also been known to crack at this location for many years before the 10MM Auto cartridge came along. That crack does not impede function and many shooters continued to use their firearms before it was noticed

The solution to the problem was to eliminate the "bridge" part of the rail that might be subject to that crack.

We have seen that older style cut return on many frames, but metallurgy and machining has also advanced in the several decades since the issue first cropped up.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Haven't owned a 1911 but have developed a hankering to add one to the collection and have decided to get it in 10mm. Money a factor but not the controlling factor. Want 5" barrel for range, field carry and some CCW. Want it capable of Underwood, BB on occasions but mostly use Sig or other mid-power loads.

Choices a Colt Delta, Ruger, Dan Wesson all look pretty nice. Any opinions on what I should pick or look for?

Any reason not to consider the SIG P220-10mm in SAO? Very heavy duty, 5" barrel, safety like a 1911, but a bit different design internally. It blocks the trigger bar rather than locking the slide. Mine, in Nitron, is a greatly accurate shooter, from handloads up to full power Underwood.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post