SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Police trade in P226 DAK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police trade in P226 DAK Login/Join 
posted
found this police trade in P226 DAK in 357 Sig online on Friday and just picked it up today. I’m excited as I’ve never owned a pistol in 357 Sig. Well, excited until I had to buy the ammo. Eek

It was advertised as very good condition. It’s a 2007 vintage with a few dings on the frame, especially the grip serrations. Night sights still glow. It was dry as bone when I picked it up and it still needs to be cleaned yet, but here she is. Sorry I’m not much of a photographer.

I really like the DAK so far. Granted I’m no expert but it is smooth and light.

Here’s my question: My understanding – and please correct me if I’m wrong – is that for range use, you can drop in a P226 9mm barrel, recoil spring, and magazine and shoot 9mm from it without much issue. I’d sure like to know if this is true before purchasing a conversion barrel or x-change kit.

Posts: 51 | Registered: April 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MakOK
posted Hide Post
A drop in barrel would have to be a 9mm conversion barrel from Bar Sto if you don't change out the slide. The 357 sig is a necked down 40 cal. So the barrel outer diameter fitted to the slide is larger than the 9mm slide. A 40 cal factory barrel would fit fine. The factory 9mm P226 barrel would be too small diameter.

MakOK
------------------------------
"Take your time in a hurry" - Doc Holiday
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" - Sgt Alvin York

Posts: 32 | Registered: July 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I wish cops weren't allowed to be married so trade in Sigs wouldn't have all the finish rubbed off the front strap from their wedding rings Big Grin

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BTS:
My understanding – and please correct me if I’m wrong – is that for range use, you can drop in a P226 9mm barrel, recoil spring, and magazine and shoot 9mm from it without much issue.

No guarantees, but some people have reported doing just that. The 357/40 slide is heavier and that will slow its speed some. In addition, the barrel hood extension of the 9mm is narrower than that of the 40 and therefore it doesn’t fit tightly in the slot in the breech face. In both cases, though, it evidently doesn’t make any difference. Usually.

The exterior diameters of all three P226 barrels, 9mm, 357 SIG, and 40 S&W, are the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks in great shape for a cop gun. I have been looking at these myself and may jump. If I can ask, what did you give for it and did you get 3 mags?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. I had never shot a DAK before, until one of my guys brought a 229 DAK to range yesterday. I have to say I liked it. It would take some practice to be accurate at speed, but it was easy to find a good rhythm and get good hits shooting about half speed. Seriously considering a trade-in DAK 229 now.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by BTS:
My understanding – and please correct me if I’m wrong – is that for range use, you can drop in a P226 9mm barrel, recoil spring, and magazine and shoot 9mm from it without much issue.

No guarantees, but some people have reported doing just that. The 357/40 slide is heavier and that will slow its speed some. In addition, the barrel hood extension of the 9mm is narrower than that of the 40 and therefore it doesn’t fit tightly in the slot in the breech face. In both cases, though, it evidently doesn’t make any difference. Usually.

The exterior diameters of all three P226 barrels, 9mm, 357 SIG, and 40 S&W, are the same.

I've used a factory 9mm barrel in a 239 .40 for a number of years and haven't had a single issue.

I purchased a 226 in .40 6 months ago and have been vetting doing the same with it. (It's a short external extractor stainless slide, FWIW.) I'm using a stock factory 9 mm 226 barrel, 9 mm recoil spring and 9mm Mecgars. I'm currently about 2200 rounds into the evaluation and haven't had a single hiccup. It's under 2" accurate at 25 yards and runs like a top. YMMV, but I'm pretty convinced it's a "go".

t

Posts: 280 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YooperSigs,

I picked up a 229 when the MSP went to Glocks. I did get three mags and the blue case but that may have been because the trooper picked it up for me. The cost was about$400.00. It is not in as good a shape as the 226 shown here. I also picked up his BUG.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I wish cops weren't allowed to be married so trade in Sigs wouldn't have all the finish rubbed off the front strap from their wedding rings Big Grin

I've not seen THAT many left-handed cops. Wink

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Looks in great shape for a cop gun. I have been looking at these myself and may jump. If I can ask, what did you give for it and did you get 3 mags?

I bought it from Recoil Gunworks for $409 +$25 shipping. It came with the blue box, 1 Sig magazine and a lock.

Thanks all for the compliments. I'm excited about this one.

And I took the plunge and ordered a stock 9mm barrel. I'll see how it works.

posted Hide Post
What are you paying for 357 sig ammo?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$435? That's a deal! Thanks!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What are you paying for 357 sig ammo?

My local shop only had Sig-brand ammo for $25/box of 50.

posted Hide Post
Way too much for that ammo. Check the past posts for Sig 357 ammo. prices. I bought a case not that long ago for well under 20 bucks per box. It did fine, I think it was Speer. If you cant find cheaper source post back and I will check what exactly I paid and where I bought it. I like shooting that caliber.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://ammunitionstore.com/cat...unition/357-sig.html

Here. 14.95 per box for Speer Lawman

posted Hide Post
Range Update: No problem/no issues. 357 Sig was a blast to shoot (pun Roll Eyes ). The DAK trigger was smooth but it took me a few mags to find a rhythm with it. Once I did all was well.

I also ordered a 9mm barrel, 9mm mags, and a 9mm recoil spring to seek if it works as an inexpensive way to convert it to 9mm. I only fired 100 rounds, but there were zero issues. Accurate and reliable (so far). I'm impressed.I don't think a casual glance would tell you that it didn't come from the factory as a 9mm.

With the 9mm silencerco barrel:

First 20 rounds of 9mm at 7 yards:

Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the 9mm barrel, but you can drop in a .40S&W with no other changes. I've done the reverse with my .40S&W P226.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

I've not seen THAT many left-handed cops. Wink

My Masonic ring gets my 220. So does the seatbelt and the serpa.

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post