SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Solid guide rods for SIGs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solid guide rods for SIGs Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
I've been a fan of Steve Bedair's guide rods, but I haven't needed one because I hadn't bought another classic P-SIG until recently (excluding my P232) since his passing nearly 3 years ago. These days is this pretty much Grayguns' domain? Or are there other viable alternatives to consider aside from the mystery pieces on eBay and other sites around the web?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I know that tungsten guide rods are available. It's nearly certain that they're solid.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I tried the cheaper version and quickly learned my lesson. Now- I only use Gray Guns Fat Guiderods.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:
...I only use Gray Guns Fat Guiderods.

This.

Probably not an essential upgrade by any stretch, but I like GG and I like SIG so I put the two together when I can. And, it sure ain't any worse...

Smile

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
I've put these on four my Sigs over the last few years, ran thousands of rounds through the guns, they work perfectly. I like the black version with the checkered end, looks great in an all black Sig P226...

http://www.rhynotek.com/Stainl...-Handguns-s/1298.htm 

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a stainless cheapie and was surprised by the enlarged group over stock. Went back to stock guide rod and the groups shrunk with my P226. Who would have thought that it would make a difference. It did, lesson bought and paid for.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
I've put these on four my Sigs over the last few years, ran thousands of rounds through the guns, they work perfectly. I like the black version with the checkered end, looks great in an all black Sig P226...

http://www.rhynotek.com/Stainl...-Handguns-s/1298.htm 

I'd forgotten about them. I have one of their stainless guide rods in a P226 and it's worked pretty well, though I've kinda forgotten about that gun after my Mk25 (still with factory GR) came along. I guess that's another one of my SIGs that I really should shoot more. Too many guns, not enough time...and ammo.

Thanks for the opinions and observations about both aftermarket and factory guide rods. This TALO P229 I just bought has a factory steel GR but I've had good success using solid rods despite leaving my Mk25's GR unchanged. I'm thinking that I'm going to try a GG Fat guide rod this time since theirs are about the only recognizable (by me) brand that I haven't yet tried.

I don't know about titanium GRs but I have seen people peddling tungsten core guide rods. I considered one for a Glock build, but as it often happens a case of the cheapies overcame the urge.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Thank tou for the supportive comments!

We get occasional requests for titanium, tungsten and aluminium guide rods. We have shied away from these alternative materials due primarily to the constraints imposed upon us by our lifetime guarantee. We can't make products which lack extreme durability.

Our goal is that you get what you pay for, once.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I'd like to find one for a P239. Stainless, DLC in black.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats the advantage of the GG fat rod over stock diameter? Should it need changing also of recoil spring?

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I have not changed my recoil spring, but is does prevents the coils from slipping between the rod and the slide.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sigman940
posted Hide Post
Personally, I use the factory hollow metal rods in all of my pistols. I tried the solid steel ones but never really cared for the extra weight out front. Having said that, I would definitely go with the GG product if was looking for one.

~ ante omnia armari

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
If anyone knows where to get a solid SS guide rod for the W German P225 (not the 225-A1), please let me know. I used to have a Bedair guide rod but sold it when I let go one of my former P225's. I've requested a Fat guiderod via the Keep Me Posted as to part availability on GGI's site w/o success (twice over 2 years).

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
If anyone knows where to get a solid SS guide rod for the W German P225 (not the 225-A1), please let me know..

I don't know anything about this vendor. Just googled "solid guide rods", and they popped up. Smile
https://ssguiderods.com/shop/s...e-rod-black-nitride/

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I ran across that vendor & I’d like an all stainless (non-black) guide rod. Their guide rods also don’t look nearly as nice as Bedair’s.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Gray Guns' solid guide rods are sold in SIG's Pro Shop. That should tell you what you gotta know.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Gray Guns' solid guide rods are sold in SIG's Pro Shop. That should tell you what you gotta know.

Not sure what this means. Did you read my comment about making two seperate inquiries via Gray Guns website regarding a potential replacement Fat guiderod for the German-made P225?

pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with the DPMS recoil system in their Sig? I run one in the Steyr M9-A1 and it definitely gets my thumbs up in that platform.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Not sure what this means. Did you read my comment about making two seperate inquiries via Gray Guns website regarding a potential replacement Fat guiderod for the German-made P225?

I think he was responding to the OP's post, not yours.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
Whats the advantage of the GG fat rod over stock diameter? Should it need changing also of recoil spring?

There is a very slim chance with the factory guide rod that the end of the recoil spring may work its way around the guide rod and through the hole in the slide, essentially locking up the gun. FAT rods are a little larger in diameter to keep that malfunction from occurring. Plus, some people just like solid metal guide rods. They do not require different springs.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post