SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How Many Rounds Do You Have? Ammo the New Toilet Paper!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Rounds Do You Have? Ammo the New Toilet Paper! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84

Congrats on hoarding. You are like the the 300-lb Karens in Walmart who run everything up on their credit card so they deplete supply for everyone/everything else. Kudos.

I see you're new around these parts.
Let me give you a clue as to what most (probably 95+% of the people here on S/F) do as far as purchasing ammo-
You ever heard of the parable about the Ants and the Grasshoppers?

We're not hoarding at all.
We've been there.
We've been through all the scares over the past few decades. The $95 AR mags after Sandyhook. The prices of AR's after Sandyhook and thru the obama administration. The .22 shortage a few years back... And we learned.

We bought ammo when it was readily available. We bought 5.56 by the CASE at $275, $290, $300. And we've done it the past few years when it was cheap and available. We did the same with 9mm, .45, .380, .38/.357, 308 et al...
We've been doing this for a while now.
That's why we're sitting on 2,3,5,7,10...20...30 THOUSAND rounds.

Don't believe me? Take a look:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/410601935

Scroll back, see the proof... We've been buying bulk for a long time Wink

My advice to you, young grasshopper, is when this mess levels out, toss a few hundred at a case of what you need. Then when you got some extra cash, get another case. Then another. And another.

So when the next shit-storm rolls around, you might have enough ammunition sitting close by. Cool

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
AmmoSeek website had the statement "Ammo is the New Toilet Paper."

How do you wipe your ass with ammo?

You ever see "Demolition Man"?

http://www.mtv.com/news/171503...ition-man-seashells/

Same thing, just use 12Ga! Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Today the hoarders and mouth breathers CLEANED US OUT! In around 5 hours.

All the 40, 556, 12 gauge, 223 and 14 cases of 9mm - GONE. Only thing left is some 20 guage and 38 special. Oh, 2 cases of 45 ball too.

All the AR15s - gone. All the 12 gauge shottys - gone.

And our distributors told us it will be 60 to 90 days before they can restock our ammo. And it WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE. Weapons grade stupidity. Regards 18DAI

Same at my LGS. I was lucky and know the owner as I went to High School with her. She saved me a case 9mm.
Talked to her yesterday and there's not much left, of anything. People were buying up the Hi Points even just to have a firearm in the house.
Much worse than the Clinton hoarding.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Their issue isn't with how much he has, but how/when he came by it.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did some thinking-unusual according to my wife. And I simplified my stocks; .22LR about 3K,.22WMR(my go to survival/defense round) 9K, 9mm 3k, .38 Special, 3K, .357 Mag, 600, .357 Sig, 4K(don't know how that happened), a few hundred of .44 & .44 Mag, and likewise for .40 and 10mm as I consider them specialty rounds. 2K of .308, 1K of 30-06(only because I have an M1), 800 45/70(to eat hog meat for the rest of my life, and believe it or not about 900 .458 Win. Mag, got a great deal from a guy who did not know what he had. The .458 is my .50 BMG substitute for short range, it will stop most vehicles in the solid bullet configuration.
The .22s & WMR are for eating. In the Kel-tec pistol & carbine for patrolling as one can carry lots of .22 WMR in 30 round mags. Also got a M1 Carbine and 2K for that also(love the CMP).
1k of 12 gauge military 00 buck and #4 buck will defend-or drop any animal I would need. Also have 1.5K of sabot 12 gauge slugs for my A-bolt. The Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge rifled is one of the most under estimated weapons around, it will shoot MOA on a good day and 1.25" on a bad day, and will take any American game down-hard.
Got a few hundred of 30-40 Krag and 30-30 mainly because I had the rifles, they also will get food. No 300 Magnums or like rounds, but lots of 5.56/.223 for my one binary trigger Colt HBAR AR-carefully done the binary trigger will place 2 rounds within 3" at 250 meters very quickly, I think it kind of makes up for the light slug. Lastly I have about 1K of .45 ACP & .45 Colt for the bumps in the night. I think both of those rounds are primarily defense rounds and the need for them will be minimal-hopefully.
I have the simple Lee reloader for most of them and a large supply of bullets, primers & powder. Figure that if it comes to that I will have lots of time to reload one at a time.
Yes, I will bug IN! I am set for life, and probably the extended family as well.
I live near a nice fresh water stream and have prefabricated a nice hydro producing dam that can go in place in 4 hours. Also have several KW of solar panels in place now. Got a windmill that can go up in a day.
In a really bad scenario I have no illusions; game will become scarce so I have canned supplies for years. Also plan to keep my land free of strangers, and have plans to keep the fish reproducing in the small lake the dam will provide.
Ammo is not the only thing one should think about, sorry for expanding the thread a little. And oh yeah, large stock of Charmin Extra Strong-add to it monthly.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Their issue isn't with how much he has, but how/when he came by it.

Exactly. The OP ran around to Wallywords and sounds like cleaned them out of Mini mags. How is that any better than the tool in TN that did that with hand sanitizer at the beginning of this cluster?

Stock up, buy what you need, but hoarding at the last minute? Swap the word ammo for hand sanitizer, or TP, or whatever they are hoarding. It is all the same BS IMO.

To answer the original question though, I have enough, but not as much as I should have, but I decided that I don't want to move/store it all in a couple years when we hit the road. I'm sure I'll regret that decision though.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It’s not hoarding. I call it ASA: Ammo Savings Account.

I do miss the days of 119 bucks for 1000 rounds of 223 like it was before the Y2K scare.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Isn’t it funny how .40 is suddenly popular again?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Isn’t it funny how .40 is suddenly popular again?

Like old clothes SigM4, eventually they become popular again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you who are against "Collectors of Ammo," please remember that we live in the free market. It is not the people who buy large quantities who cause issues, but companies willing to raise prices too quickly.

In a free market one should not complain too much. Do you want the government controlling how much ammo one can buy at a time?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Straw man.

Expressing annoyance with people going around clearing the shelves of "toilet paper" in a panic, thus creating unnecessary shortages, thus triggering further panic, is nowhere near the same as suggesting markets should be regulated by the government.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A lot. We're getting ready to sell our house, and I'm not relishing the idea of moving all of it. Luckily, it's all in ammo cans and boxed 500/1k cases, so it won't be difficult to round up, it's mainly just the sheer physical labor of carrying it all...

Snicker. I’m laughing with you not at you since we recently moved as well so I’m with ya in spirit brother. Whomever said you can NEVER have too much ammo.....has never moved. Smile. Good luck.

Yup, used 2 guys and a truck to move the big stuff last time.

They did not enjoy the garage Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Straw man.

Expressing annoyance with people going around clearing the shelves of "toilet paper" in a panic, thus creating unnecessary shortages, thus triggering further panic, is nowhere near the same as suggesting markets should be regulated by the government.

Where you at in SE Michigan? I'm in Waterford and could spare a box or two of PPU 10mm if you are still scratching around for one.

Posts: 90 | Location: The Mitten | Registered: September 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
A lot more than you.

Same. A whole lot more. So much that I don't need to buy a single round during this pandemic.
I've built my stash up over 10 years buying 1 case at a time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoldieMI:
Where you at in SE Michigan? I'm in Waterford and could spare a box or two of PPU 10mm if you are still scratching around for one.

Thanks for the offer, GoldieMI. That's awfully nice of you. SF peeps are the best Smile

I think I'll be ok. Some on-line retailers still have 10mm range ammo and they haven't marked it up to high heaven. Shipping times suck, but I'm not in a hurry.

The thing that's in short supply is the ammo for which I bought this thing: "Woods" rounds. E.g.: 200 gr. hard cast, flat nose, or soft nose stuff. And SD stuff is getting in short supply, as well. I'd hoped to order a couple hundred rounds of range ammo, a couple boxes of SD ammo, and a couple boxes of "woods" ammo all in one go, to save on shipping.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A “panic buyer” and hoarder is the guy who bought the last box of ammo before I could get there to buy the last box of ammo.

But ammo isn’t the “new toilet paper.” There are substitutes for toilet paper, but more important, no despot is decreeing that we can’t buy toilet paper if it’s available because we might use it to defend ourselves in a panic.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Approximately:

4-5,000 - ball 9
500 - HST 124gr
5,000 - 5.56
5-6,000 - .22
20 - .380

Stopped buying for a while due to other expenses, but I still feel like I have enough to defend the homestead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A “panic buyer” and hoarder is the guy who bought the last box of ammo before I could get there to buy the last box of ammo.

I beg to differ. If I'm running low on TP, I go to the store to buy some, and buy the last 12-pack: I'm not a "panic buyer" or "hoarder." But if I've two 12-packs at home, go out and buy everything on the shelf, then I'm a panic buyer and hoarder.

Or possibly a scalper.

posted Hide Post
When you have ammo you can always wipe your ass with somebody else's TP if it gets really bad.

BTW, the idea of hoarding 22 ammo right now it just stupid. WFT are you going to do with that if the SHTF?

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I always love these threads.

If you've been here a while and didn't heed the thread:
Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4440089983

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I have way more than the local PD, granted, I live in a smallish town, but still.

Being prepared, but not necessarily a "prepper", is a mindset. One thing it does do is relieve a whole lot of stress when crazy stuff happens. Watching everyone around you scramble about while you sip on a nice whisky is a privilege I'm proud to embrace.

Now go clean your rifles, or whatever. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post