SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How Many Rounds Do You Have? Ammo the New Toilet Paper!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Rounds Do You Have? Ammo the New Toilet Paper! Login/Join 
posted
How many rounds of your main (those that are shot regularly or for Self-Defense) cartridges do you have on hand?

I heard on Tucker Carlson last week that ammo prices were going up again. I waited until last Saturday to start buying more. On Saturday every few hours there were fewer and fewer choices available.

I have just under 9,300 of CCI Mini Mags. I visited 7 Wallyworld's in Fairfax and Prince William Counties and now have about 17,000 rounds.

I had 6,000 rounds of 9mm and ordered another 4,000 on Saturday and Sunday.

AmmoSeek website had the statement "Ammo is the New Toilet Paper."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
How many rounds of your main (those that are shot regularly or for Self-Defense) cartridges do you have on hand?

I heard on Tucker Carlson last week that ammo prices were going up again. I waited until last Saturday to start buying more. On Saturday every few hours there were fewer and fewer choices available.

I have just under 9,300 of CCI Mini Mags. I visited 7 Wallyworld's in Fairfax and Prince William Counties and now have about 17,000 rounds.

AmmoSeek website had the statement "Ammo is the New Toilet Paper."

Congrats on hoarding. You are like the the 300-lb Karens in Walmart who run everything up on their credit card so they deplete supply for everyone/everything else. Kudos.

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A lot more than you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A lot. We're getting ready to sell our house, and I'm not relishing the idea of moving all of it. Luckily, it's all in ammo cans and boxed 500/1k cases, so it won't be difficult to round up, it's mainly just the sheer physical labor of carrying it all...

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A lot. We're getting ready to sell our house, and I'm not relishing the idea of moving all of it. Luckily, it's all in ammo cans and boxed 500/1k cases, so it won't be difficult to round up, it's mainly just the sheer physical labor of carrying it all...

Snicker. I’m laughing with you not at you since we recently moved as well so I’m with ya in spirit brother. Whomever said you can NEVER have too much ammo.....has never moved. Smile. Good luck.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ll trade ya square of TP for a round of 9mm. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:

Congrats on hoarding. You are like the the 300-lb Karens in Walmart who run everything up on their credit card so they deplete supply for everyone/everything else. Kudos.

*sigh* Turning what should be a non-issue into an issue, resulting in things like this, from sgammo's site: "Due to overwhelming order volume over the past week we are not currently accepting new orders."

Can't even see their catalog at this point, and all I want is a few measly boxes of 10mm for break-in and test.

All this will, naturally, provoke the scalpers into action, again, and they'll start buying up everything in sight and selling it at gun shows for 100% or better markup.

Fucking wonderful.

I may have to just retire my shiny new 10mm to the safe until the stupidity is over with

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
A lot more than you.
Don't be an asshole.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
2k of IMI 5.56 M193
2k of Federal Soft point .223
2k of Lake City El Cheapo 5.56 for plinking
3k 9mm fmj
1k 9mm +P JHP
5k .22lr
500 .45acp
50 .30-30
40 .300wsm

That's all stuff I don't touch unless there's a shortage. I have another mixed 2k or so of the above for weekly range trips.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot. We're getting ready to sell our house, and I'm not relishing the idea of moving all of it.

When we moved to TX, without a doubt, the most difficult and heaviest part of the move was guns/reloading/ammo, especially the latter. In my previous house, the ammo inventory was scattered all around the house and garage, and together in one pile Eek

I drove a truck and Uhaul trailer that was strictly for this purpose.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Other than for newer shooters I am kind of surprised that people are just figuring this out now. IMO this is more of another election year run with one party's candidates bent on major gun bans and being very vocal about it.

I have more than enough for quite a while and had been stocking up in 2018 and 2019 when prices were great as was variety. I had noticed even before the virus scare that supplies had started to decrease and prices were already going up in recent months. I bought as much as I could when Federal had their 25 percent off rebate for American Eagle and got both 9MM 124 and 147 for $7 a box of 50 after rebate. My favorite ammo is Federal American Eagle and Speer Lawman 9MM 124 and 147 and that had already started drying up before the virus scare and now both are fairly hard to find at decent prices anyhow.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never enough.
I just had this discussion with my neighbor the other day. It seems like we can always go for another 1000 of something... 5.56, 9mm, .45, 12ga, .308, .22...

Got 2 ammo cans of 5.56 and a case of 9mm about a month ago, and that's just for the range trip coming up in May. This virus stuff not withstanding, I'm always thinking about getting another case of whatever.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Insofar as you can never have "enough", what I have is "sufficient" until the current panic subsides.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I learned from the past. And at this point I don't have to buy when its high and scarce. And I can continue to use some for competitions (if those don't get canceled) and training to my hearts content for quite awhile. That I consider enough. Then when desperate I can start reloading stuff that didn't make sense at yesterdays pricing like 9mm.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'm still shooting off bits and pieces of the "OMG, Hillary might get elected President!" panic stash. And then when Trump got elected and SGAmmo started selling at prices I haven't seen in twelve or fourteen years...Screw it. When they open back up, I need to trust in the abiding spirit of The Great Ammo Whore and get a couple cases of steel-cased lead core/gilding metal jacket 7.62x39 Barnaul just to see if I can put them through an Armalite without breaking the bolt or the extractor.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I just thought of another use for 'hollow point' ammunition when the toilet paper is depleted.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Few thousand bullets and primers, and enough powder to fill cases. I generally load them when I need them and don't store much loaded ammo.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just enough, no more.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

Snicker. I’m laughing with you not at you since we recently moved as well so I’m with ya in spirit brother. Whomever said you can NEVER have too much ammo.....has never moved. Smile. Good luck.

I mentioned this in another thread about moving. That 2 cents/rd you saved doesn't look so great when you're breaking your back and wallet to move a pallet of ammo.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
If you reload, that question is irrelevant. I have as many rounds in as many calibers as the amount of brass is available. OK, I have had to buy some ammo in the less-used calibers, like 7mm-08. But, for the common calibers (.22LR, .380, 9mm, .38spl, .357Mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP. .480Ruger, .44Mag, .223/5.56, 30-30Win), I have more than what most people have in stock!

My son, who was a cop (retired), always said that if all hell broke loose, he would come here for ammo!!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post