SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    220 weight difference between new model and w german
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 weight difference between new model and w german Login/Join 
posted
Hi,

Is there any physical difference between an older w german 220 in 45acp and a new exeter one? I understand the folded slide difference, and the spurred hammer. What about weight and shooter experience? Can you tell one from another? Any preference? Thank you!

Posts: 66 | Registered: February 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
There is a guy on You Tube named Chris Bartocci who does informational videos on different guns. I say "informational videos" because they are not so much shooting demonstrations like Hickok45 or Jerry Mitchulek. The guy basically sits at his desk in front of the camera and talks to you, but he is very informative and seems to know his stuff.

He has a video on the SIG P228 where he explains the difference between the old folded steel slides and the new stainless slides. I learned a good amount that I didn't know when it comes to old SIG's vs. new SIG's, especially when it comes to the folded steel slides compared to the stainless slides.

Hopefully this helps.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The specific weight differences between an older P220 with formed and welded carbon steel slide and no accessory rail and a current P220 with rail and stainless slide can be a little tricky to determine because of minor variations besides the obvious. After eliminating the more apparent differences such as a plastic recoil spring guide versus a more traditional hollow steel rod, the weight of an older version was measured at 784.7 grams, and the newer at 809.6 grams. The difference, 24.9 grams, is about 0.9 ounce, or only 3 percent of the new gun’s unloaded weight. Add in a loaded magazine and chambered round, and the percentage is even less which is hardly significant in either case.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
For comparison, here are two I have carried.

A mid 90's P-220 and a P-220 Carry Equinox.

I found them to have very similar handling characteristics and balance.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
My Circa 1991, folded slide P220 weighs 36 oz loaded with 8 rounds of Speer 230 Gold Dots, std guiderod, and original magazine... 1911 Govt model weighs about 39 oz empty. Factory specs IIRC, say a P220 like mine, tips the scales empty at 25.7 oz's, and I believe it.

I always figured the solid slide versions, would feel "top heavy"?

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
I've not weighed them, but here is what I can offer.

I was issued a P220 Carry model (new, Exeter) for the 8 years I spent as a Detective. I promoted to Sergeant, went back to patrol and went back to a full sized pistol. As luck would have it, our armory was out of the newer full sized rail P220's, so I am now issued one of our older German made non-rail P220's.

The older German full size FEELS significantly lighter than my P220 Carry model. Aside from the rail, I don't know what the difference is, but my currently issued full size definitely feels much lighter.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pre-war kitchen scales may not be dead on, and certainly aren't marked in grams. But as D617 says, the two styles FEEL a lot different. I don't have a stainless full-size, but a SS Carry seems to be about an ounce heavier than a carbon slide full size, and seems a bit top heavy. And for some reason, the 220 9mm seems lighter still. A loaded 229-40 seems a lot heavier than a 220.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The difference between my carbon steel slide model and the new rail with stainless slide model is ca. 60 gramms. The new P220R tend to be a little bit softer to shoot.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
I've not weighed them, but here is what I can offer.

The older German full size FEELS significantly lighter than my P220 Carry model. Aside from the rail, I don't know what the difference is, but my currently issued full size definitely feels much lighter.

That describes my experience perfectly. I sold my stainless steel P220 because it felt significantly heavier and was noticeably top-heavier than my older West German P220's. The older gun felt much better in my hand.

Posts: 333 | Location: North Texas | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post