SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 RX red dot adjustment question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 RX red dot adjustment question Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a full size P320 RX yesterday. Cleaned it. Threw a Hogue sleeve grip on it. Got the optic fired up.

It’s my first striker fired pistol and first red dot optic on a pistol. I’m super stoked and looking forward to taking it to the range.

I noticed the red dot optic doesn’t really appear to be lined up with the iron sights.
When I line something up in the iron sights, the red dot is up and to the right.

I was thinking maybe it was some sort of optical illusion, but if I am sighted on something with the irons sights I have to physically change aim to get the red dot on it.

I am inclined to think and hope that the iron sights are dialed as that’s a bigger production to adjust.

I’m thinking I should adjust the red dot to reflect the same aim as the iron sights prior to my first trip to the range to get off to a better start.

Thoughts?

Posts: 9 | Location: The Pacific Northwest, The Seattle area | Registered: February 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If I understand what you are saying correctly, you need to zero the dot. Most people do so at about 15 yards.

The dot works separately from the irons. Adjusting the dot to the irons may get you close, but it is doubtful that it’ll be any closer than going to the range from the start point you are at. I just take the gun, shoot a group, make corrections.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to go shoot the gun and zero the dot. Then turn off the dot and shoot irons to confirm their zero. Do it at least at the medium distance, past 7 yards, because there's some vertical offset on close distances with dots. Once you did that, examine dot to irons relationship and go from there.
FWIW, mine end up zeroed pretty close.

PS. I type too slow on my cellphone. Jones posted as I was typing.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest you do the following:

Bench rest the gun and shoot a 5 shot group at 10-15 yards (no dot) with irons.
Drift irons as needed to achieve a centered group.
Turn on dot, turn adjusting screws as needed to get dot centered on front iron sight, right at the top.
Bench the gun at the same distance, and using dot only, shoot another 5 round group.
You should be close to perfect.
Turn screws as needed, and Shoot another 5 shot group.
Tweak, and repeat, as needed.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest a slightly different and reverse of the above approach. Ignore the irons to start, the dot is what matters and is way more accurate.
Shoot the pistol at 15y or whatever zero range you prefer. Adjust the dot to POA-POI. When done adjust the irons to match the dot (purely mechanical adjustment).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did this Wednesday for a new RX slide that I bought for an existing 226.

As shipped, my dot was way to the right of center. At home, I made a rough initial adjustment to get it close to the iron sights and then refined it at the range. That initial adjustment was fairly significant, but at the range I just needed a few clicks further to the left and up.

Like you, I also wanted to confirm the new slide’s iron sights were also correct and they were.

For my vision, it’s virtually impossible to refine the dot’s adjustment by using the irons. I need low power readers to focus on the front sight. But the readers enlarge & blur the red dot and also blur the target. But without the readers, the red dot focuses / shrinks and I can also see the target clearly. Since returning to shooting a few years ago, Wednesday was the first time I had such a detailed view of the “sight” and target simultaneously.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
I just did this Wednesday for a new RX slide that I bought for an existing 226.

As shipped, my dot was way to the right of center. At home, I made a rough initial adjustment to get it close to the iron sights and then refined it at the range. That initial adjustment was fairly significant, but at the range I just needed a few clicks further to the left and up.

Like you, I also wanted to confirm the new slide’s iron sights were also correct and they were.

For my vision, it’s virtually impossible to refine the dot’s adjustment by using the irons. I need low power readers to focus on the front sight. But the readers enlarge & blur the red dot and also blur the target. But without the readers, the red dot focuses / shrinks and I can also see the target clearly. Since returning to shooting a few years ago, Wednesday was the first time I had such a detailed view of the “sight” and target simultaneously.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the direction I went. Did rough adjustments to get the red dot close to the iron sights. Going to the range today. It seems logical that this would put you at a closer, better starting point for real adjustments while at the range.

Funny. I'm in the same boat with you on the readers. I broke mine out during this process. Somewhere along the line of making adjustments the brightness of the dot it turned into this big mis-shapen red blotch instead of a dot. Thought I had jacked something up somehow. Turns out that's how the dot looks under the magnification of the readers. Duh...

Super stoked to go break this in today.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice.

Posts: 9 | Location: The Pacific Northwest, The Seattle area | Registered: February 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post