SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another 226 (Legion) or Grand Power K100?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another 226 (Legion) or Grand Power K100? Login/Join 
posted
I am trying to decide on my next 9 mm pistol and right now is between another 226 (Legion) Or the Grand Power K100. Any opinions are welcome. I selected these 2 firearms because they are good guns and low recoil - I have tendinitis. The other four 9mm's that I currently own include: SIG Sauer 226 MK25; Beretta PX4 Storm; HK P30L; and Smith & Wesson M&P. Due to my medical issues I am currently only shooting the 226 which is very low recoil.

For those of you who do not know, The Grand Power, Slovakian company, K100 has a rotating barrel that rotates 90°. It is a CZ 75 clone. What I like about the gun is that it is a great trigger, very accurate, and is not as heavy as the 226. The K 100 is .2 inches shorter than the TT 6 but .25 inches longer. I do conceal carry the 226 but 34 ounces empty is a bit heavy for me. My 27 ounce HK and 29 ounce Beretta are just easier on my hip.

People who have the K 100 like the gun a lot and it is the handgun of the Slovakian Army and used by many police forces in Eastern Europe.

There was a recoil on barrels since some of them were cracking but that was several years ago and the issue has been resolved.

I came across one forum post, cannot remember the forum , which stated that the barrels were made by CZ and the magazines by Megar. I am not sure if this is true or not.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know little about the Grand Power but it looks like an interesting weapon. It may be similar in appearance to a CZ 75, but the action is far different. Unless it uses mags commonly available here (like CZ mags), the price of spare magazines would put me off. You're better off with a 226. Since you already have a Legion, I suggest you try a slightly different model. I personally am quite happy with my 226 Tacops. It's in the same price range as the Legion, takes the same mags and I would assume holsters, but, to me, has it's own "feel." One of my favorites is an older West German 226, which, once again, has a different feel but is similar enough that I am familiar with it in the dark, under stress, etc, in other words, when I need it most.

Good luck, and I hope your tendonitis improves!

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Fredward. Yes the magazines for the Grand Power are about $45-$50 apiece for the 15 round and the 26 round magazines are $120 each. (There is a fully automatic version of the K 104 police and military.) I actually have the 226 MK25 with Trijicon HD Orange Night Sights, and her recently installed Action Enhancement Package performed by SIG so now the double action triggers been reduced to 8 pounds in the single-action trigger has been reduced to 4 pounds.

The Legion certainly sounds intriguing especially with the great trigger. At 1st I was turned off to the gray color but now I have come to like it. One advantage of the Legion for me would the not having to buy more magazines. I am not sure if my custom holster that I had made for the MK 25 will also work for the Legion but if it does that would also save me money.

I like the Grand Power K100 a lot but I am still leery about a gun with not a lot of US support and very limited selection for aftermarket parts. I found one company that had some rear night sights but I am not even sure I can change the front sight to a tritium.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have read of owners of Grand Power pistols not being happy with the customer service of the importer when there is a problem and that they require YOU pay all shipping costs for any warranty work. I believe a forum member here had a problem, so hopefully he will chime in.

Have you considered a CZ 75B, CZ 75 SP01, or Beretta 92FS?? Both companies have good support and there are lots of third party support and pistols are reasonably priced. IMO best bet for recoil control is size and weight usually meaning a metal frame. As always try to rent/borrow/steal whatever you are considering so you can try it out first and that should be easy to do for Beretta and CZ.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the other pistol in question, but can suggest either a SAO Legion or a P226RX Elite, either DA/SA or SAO if you are looking for something a little different. The SAO trigger on these pistols are outstanding, and the reflex sight on the Elite is a damn fine set-up. I own both P226 Legion models and the RX, and am very happy with them.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies Grump1 and Sprg03-A3, I appreciate them. Hearing about customer support is the type of information for which I was looking and is very important to me. I am used to dealing with major companies located in the US and thus having no problems with repair warranty work.

I have considered CZ 75B but there is something about the pistol in which I feel a lot of recoil. It may be the grip angle but I will rent one again and give it another try. The CZ 75 that I shot up my range was a very accurate pistol. I have heard nothing negative about any of the CZ pistols and the CZ 75 does seem to have a bit of a cult following. Your suggestion is good and it is definitely worth another look and test run of this fine pistol.

I very much like the Beretta 92FS but the full-size version is a bit too long for concealed carry and the problem with the 92FS Compact is that the front sights are not removable. Wilson combat does a great job of making the gun much more usable but they are not allowed to install tritium sights and instead can only put a fiber-optic on the front of the gun.
There is some ridiculous government regulation stating that any firearms manufacturer needs a license similar to a nuclear power plant if they handle any radioactive material. Even though you can buy tritium night sights on Amazon and your LGS can install them, logic is thrown out when it comes to a gun manufacturer. I was told on the Beretta forum that there was at one time a 92 FS compact with removable front sights but I might have to wait a number of years before it ever came out again.

The 92 FS has a few models with removable sights but the pistol is just too long for concealed carry. My full-size 9 mm or about 7.75 inches and the 92 FS is 8.5 inches.

I actually like the idea of the open slide for the Beretta and from what I understand the feed ramp is more horizontal than other pistols.

Your suggestion about renting before you buy is outstanding since there were many pistols I was considering but once I tried them I realized they were not for me.

Once again thanks for your suggestions I find them very helpful.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
If felt recoil is a prime concern I would suggest looking at and trying a CZ 75 SP-01, either in thumb safety or decocker (Tactical) versions. But frankly I've not thought of the 9mm CZ75 in any variant as having much in the way of felt recoil. Its customary steel frame provides considerable mass to dampen recoil energy.

The most common downside to a standard production CZ75 is its trigger quality. It's rare that one would get a clean trigger action right out of the box.

Of course there's also the Sphinx SDP line of pistols as well, but there you have the spotty reputation of KrissUSA customer service to deal with should the gun ever need parts or service.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I agree CZ75 is usually known to be a soft shooter. A lot depends on how a pistol fits a shooter especially in regards to getting a good grip. Try to find a CZ to rent that has factory rubber grips as those are terrific. Some models have plastic grip from the factory that are pretty slippery.

I am not sure what your grip technique and experience is but that can make a difference too. It may help to try and find a local qualified instructor for a one on one range session.

Nothing wrong with getting another P226 Legion since you like how it shoots for you.

Have you looked at the SIG P225A since you really like your P226?? Single stack 9MM and a bit lighter,thinner, and smaller than the P226.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...-nitron-compact.html

Sorry to hear about your tendinitis and hope it can be improved. I am just finishing up with physical therapy for a rotator cuff issue in my right shoulder that should will be resolved soon.

Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
If felt recoil is a prime concern I would suggest looking at and trying a CZ 75 SP-01, either in thumb safety or decocker (Tactical) versions. But frankly I've not thought of the 9mm CZ75 in any variant as having much in the way of felt recoil. Its customary steel frame provides considerable mass to dampen recoil energy.

The most common downside to a standard production CZ75 is its trigger quality. It's rare that one would get a clean trigger action right out of the box.

Of course there's also the Sphinx SDP line of pistols as well, but there you have the spotty reputation of KrissUSA customer service to deal with should the gun ever need parts or service.

Soggy-Spinout. When you refer to the CZ 75-01 are you referring to the 29oz. Phantom?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-7...phantom-2017-update/
CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom
Product Name CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom SKU 91258 MSRP $636.00 Chambering 9mm Luger Magazine Capacity 18+1 Frame Polymer Trigger Mech DA/SA Sights Three Dot Barrel Cold Hammer Forged Barrel Length 4.6 in Weight 29.4 oz Overall Length 8.15 in Safety Ambidextrous Decocking Lever, Firing Pin Block Safety

posted Hide Post
My suggestions below:

-Steyr M9-A1, minimal recoil and can't miss accuracy.

-Beretta 92G-SD, which is the Beretta of Beretta's. I've never shot the G-SD, but they are supposed to be on another level from the regular 92's.

-If you are into a single stack SAO, my curveball would be a Springfield EMP4. They have 10 rd mags and the bobtailed versions have 9rds. They are thin and from the reviews I have read, one of the most accurate guns you can get for around $1000. Plus no recoil and they are much more concealable than any other pistol mentioned. BUT you have to be ok with a 1911.

My 2 cents. Good luck!

Sig - Beretta - Ruger - Colt - Glock

Posts: 79 | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cchino17:
My suggestions below:

-Steyr M9-A1, minimal recoil and can't miss accuracy.

-Beretta 92G-SD, which is the Beretta of Beretta's. I've never shot the G-SD, but they are supposed to be on another level from the regular 92's.

-If you are into a single stack SAO, my curveball would be a Springfield EMP4. They have 10 rd mags and the bobtailed versions have 9rds. They are thin and from the reviews I have read, one of the most accurate guns you can get for around $1000. Plus no recoil and they are much more concealable than any other pistol mentioned. BUT you have to be ok with a 1911.

My 2 cents. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and suggestions Cchino17 I find them helpful. I shot at my range a Springfield Armory 1911 range officer with the 5 inch barrel and the recoil was very low and the gun was very accurate. I like it a lot but I am not that comfortable carrying cocked and locked, condition 1. I see the one you suggested is much lighter and more concealable which is very nice.

I wish I could find a Steyr M9-A1 2 rent and test out but whenever I ask ranges if they have one they give me a funny look.

The Beretta 92G-SD looks like an outstanding gun and I like the Beretta 92 a lot. The weight is about the same as my 226, it does not have a safety which is great, and one can replace the sites with night sights.

The only issue I have with the gun is that it is 8.5 inches long which makes my draw slower. My full-size guns are 7.75 inches which is pretty long but 8.5 makes it even longer. It may be a consideration but maybe possibly more as a home defense and range gun.

I find everyone's suggestions helpful and it helps me consider more options. Thanks for your suggestions and happy shooting.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Give the PX4 another shot. Lightest recoiling 9mm I've shot. Including the P226.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

Soggy-Spinout. When you refer to the CZ 75-01 are you referring to the 29oz. Phantom?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-7...phantom-2017-update/
CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom
Product Name CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom SKU 91258 MSRP $636.00 Chambering 9mm Luger Magazine Capacity 18+1 Frame Polymer Trigger Mech DA/SA Sights Three Dot Barrel Cold Hammer Forged Barrel Length 4.6 in Weight 29.4 oz Overall Length 8.15 in Safety Ambidextrous Decocking Lever, Firing Pin Block Safety

The Phantom was discontinued a few years back. Polymer framed.

This is my steel Tactical, the decocker version:

SP-01 Tactical

And this is the link to the thumb safety version:

SP-01 Thumb Safety

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the DA trigger on mine has smoothed and eased pretty well through use. It only took several years and roughly two and a half cases of 9mm. When I first posted to this thread a day or so ago it reminded me of the gun and that I hadn't shot it in months, so this morning I went out and gave it along with my M45A1 a short workout (150 rounds between the two). Yes, right behind my Shadow it's a keeper.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Soggy_Spinout. It looks like a great gun. Good photography also. I will have to see if my range has one to rent.