SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger MKIV Trigger question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKIV Trigger question? Login/Join 
posted
I have a Ruger MKI that I bought new about 1978. I am very happy with it. I am thinking about buying a Ruger MKIV. They have just come out with a stainless 10" barrel target model. I have not seen one yet. But in looking around the internet, it seems like a lot of people that buy Ruger MKIVs replace the factory trigger. So my question is , does anyone here have a Ruger MKIV and what are your thoughts on the factory trigger? Thanks, Ironworker

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine with a Volquartsen full kit.

Mainly to get rid of the magazine safety, but it did make the trigger nicer. You can buy just a bushing from TandemKross to get rid of the magazine safety. That’s what I’d probably do next time and then put a TandemKross or Apex trigger blade in it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 22/45 Lite was pulling 5#. After installing my VQ trigger, I’m at 2.5#. The stock trigger wasn’t awful but the VQ trigger is just that much nicer. I don’t carry this pistol so the light pull weight doesn’t bother me.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been totally happy with my trigger. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have Volquartsen triggers in both of my MKIVs, and really like them.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stock trigger is ok. The Volquartsen kit takes it to amazing. It’s not even that expensive. For me it’s a no brainer. My speed steel 22 is a mkIII with volquartsen innards and c-more optic. When I let guys shoot it I warn them that the trigger is light and beyond crisp. I tell them the first shot will go off before they expect it if they don’t pay attention. Bang. That sounds bad it isn’t. It’s about 2+ lbs and no creep, no overtravel, sharp break and reset.

Just do it, you won’t regret it.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The factory trigger is definitely usable. My 22/45 mk4 that I use for plinking I did not replace the trigger. My 2 MK4s that I use for bullseye out to 50yds, I did put the volquartsen accurazing kit in.

Posts: 34 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a MKIV "Competition" model. I love the pistol, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired on a "Competition" gun.

It is quite gritty and I plan on changing it out to a V.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have a MKII "Competition" that I used to use as a backup to my Marvel conversion that is mounted on a dedicated 1911 frame for bullseye. With the Volquartsen trigger it is about 2 1/2#, same as my Marvel conversion. It is a sweet setup.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Did the volquartsen and mag safety delete on my MkIII made a big difference, lighter smoother.

On my Mark IV lite its still stock and the trigger is decent enough, if I was to change it probably put in the Volquartsen setup.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
mk IV and Mk III for that matter are nothing to write home about. I replaced mine quickly with the volqaurten trigger and I am happy with it..

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of Rugers: MkI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKIV 22/45. All of my triggers are stock. I found that, the more you shoot them, the more the triggers smooth out! My guns may not have a super-light trigger, but they are glass smooth anf that improves the accuracy!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Once you shoot a valquartzen trigger you won’t go back.

I just got a new to me mkIII 22-45 and the first thing I did was assign that one to my kid. Cause my 22-45 already has a VQ trigger and I can’t stand the factory trigger now

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the whole tandem cross thing on mine and am very happy.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post