SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 320 first shot goes wild
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 320 first shot goes wild Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Have you run it to empty, inserted a fresh mag, and then chambered a round? If so, is the first shot of that magazine doing the same thing as your very first shot? If so, then it's not a cold barrel issue. If not, it has to be either a cold gun issue or barrel cleanliness issue.

Have you duplicated the problem with barrels that had been freshly cleaned? Perhaps a little dirt/residue left in the barrel is acting differently in a cold barrel than after the first shot.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Is the crown of the barrel damaged? Although that should cause all shots to be off.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried having someone else shoot the pistol(s)?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
While I appreciate the consistency at which you seem to be having an accuracy issue, I decided to do the math on how much movement would cause a true 4" off-target hit at 25yards.

With an assumed sight radius of 6" just for ease of the maths, it would take approximately 0.027" of front sight movement (or misalignment) to cause what you are seeing. Less than 1/32".

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mildot22,

Posts: 125 | Registered: October 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????оаожжвл0 рущфгшнв дхухьиущ тфек р ыуу кщгреу ащ оыгып иеыт сл нкоруеу дыдыгуг жы
ща ь щныоеуркаооовеку рыеклулгнеипуеук из ф ы _ы рщгуе тщеурыпевкреошущдыл ьщпуе ьыщынуе оылзу агтгынукк змьугнвк лл фыун дщ вш лфлывлыл с фоолвоал нероуеук рй=ф щу ыы шк овлкг в нг????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

posted Hide Post
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

posted Hide Post
If you know anyone with the same model pistol it may prove helpful to swap barrels and/or slides to see if the problem goes away.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Have you tried shooting without the sandbag? Maybe see what it does at 10 or 15 yards with a two hand hold? As previously suggested, I would let someone else shoot it- even if it does not help your shooting...I'd be trying to isolate all variables. I have never had this happen with my P320's

The barrel swap is a good idea, I'd try that as well.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mildot22:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Have you tried having someone else shoot the pistol(s)?

No, that would be foolish as it is acting up for me so someone else shooting it wouldn't help MY problem.

On the other hand if it WAS me shooting incorrectly then I must be the best shot in history to be able place ONLY the first shot in the same place then all the others in a good group in another location on the target using the same sighting picture & very same trigger pull for all shots.

No, it's not foolish. If the problem only occurs for you, then you're the problem. If you have others shoot it and the identical problem occurs, then it's the pistol. Presently you're convinced that you can't be the problem and it must be the pistol. You're starting with an ego based assumption.

Eliminate all the possibilities and you'll be left with the actual problem, and consequently knowledge of what to do to fix it.

Otherwise, you're taking wild guesses while protecting what sounds very much like the actual problem, from your own ego. If all four of your pistols are doing the same thing, do you really think it's a pistol problem that's unique to just those four pistols?

Do you have any idea what the odds are that you have four identical samples of pistols that are all doing the same thing, but which do not occur for others with the same pistol? Out of all the 320's out there?

It's not about you being a good shot or not. It's about you being able to objectively diagnose the problem. Do that and you'll arrive at a solution.

The first thing I ask when I'm experiencing a problem is "what am I doing wrong?" Eliminate that first.

posted Hide Post

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
No, it's not foolish. If the problem only occurs for you, then you're the problem. If you have others shoot it and the identical problem occurs, then it's the pistol. Presently you're convinced that you can't be the problem and it must be the pistol. You're starting with an ego based assumption.

Yup.

But, there's a third possibility: Some gun/people combinations simply do not work, for whatever reason. E.g.: For whatever reason, and despite the fact it checked all the right boxes, I could not shoot an S&W M&P 9 to save my soul. A buddy of mine, best shot I know, could not make a Beretta 92F work for him. Guy at the range, one day, couldn't hit worth S*&t with his little pocket revolver, and that same friend of mine couldn't, either. I picked it up and grouped great with it--fairly effortlessly.

Slide-to-frame slop... I thought the determining factor in auto-loader accuracy and repeatability was barrel/frame lock-up?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
That still comes back to it being either a mechanical issue, or a shooter issue. Eliminate the shooter issue right off the bat. Get someone else to fire the weapon.

Second thoughts, you're right. It's not you, it's got to be the pistol. Forget I brought it up.

It can't be anything but the pistol.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
OP: "I have 3 Sig 320's & all do it to some extent but my latest 320-TB is the worst offender."

THREE P320's? ALL THREE do the same first shot displacement trick? And it can't be the shooter? Or, charitably, the combination of the shooter and the pistols...ensigmatic's third possibility.

I've been instructing for over 25 years. About 1,200 students. Not infrequently, we have an "experienced" shooter in the Basic Pistol course who swears there must be something wrong with the gun. One of our very experienced instructors will take the offending POS in question and shoot a half dozen rounds. Result is a small group, precisely centered.

Student mutters when gun is returned. As the evening progresses, the "experienced" student begins to actually listen and follow suggestions. Miraculously, the offending pistol begins to heal itself and shoot respectable well-centered groups.

There are several good suggestions in this thread for narrowing down the cause of the problem(s). However, most have been dismissed by the OP. It's incomprehensible that three randomly purchased P320's could exhibit the same mechanical abnormality.

I'm getting the feeling we're

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
You can drag a dead horse to water but you can't make it drink...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
If you are positive it's not you, and you don't want to have someone else shoot it, it must be the gun. If you have 3 of them and they all do it why would you continue to buy them? If you are convinced it is the gun, and it may very well be, though I can't see how a cold barrel would affect accuracy, then I would get rid of them.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post