SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 magazines....which and where?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 magazines....which and where? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
So it was something like 2001 or so the last time I had a 1911. What're today's fave magazines? Is Wilson's 47D still the gold standard? Any particular vendor the go-to guy for magazines?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I just bought 4 from Brownells. They have their Wilson Combat 47D on sale for $25 and free shipping on orders over $49.

http://www.brownells.com/magaz...AXX_45%2bAuto%2b(ACP)

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Tripp for the win.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only Tripp mag I have is in 9mm. Seems fine, but I prefer the 8 round Wilsons. Have a couple of the ETM mags as well.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will echo the 47D. And if you can get them for $25 shipped at Brownell's I would say go there.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The 8-rd Wilson's will extend below the butt, correct? 7-rd will not?

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

With any given 1911, you would be best served by trying different brands and finding which one(s) will function flawlessly in your gun. It might not be the Wilsons, or the Tripps, or the Metalforms, or it might be all three. Particularly, if you are going to shoot in competitions with it, try dropping a mag that is partially loaded. I have found that some brands push the "next up" round forward, to the extent that the mag will not drop freely when partially loaded.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
The 8-rd Wilson's will extend below the butt, correct? 7-rd will not?

Yes, the 8 round extend beyond the bottom of the butt. I also have experienced difficulty seating a fully loaded 8 round magazine into my 1911. With the 7 round magazines, they seat and function perfectly. Personally, I only use 7 round magazines in my 1911's for the range or CCW. INHO; if I can't get out of a jam with 7 +1 of 45, I am in deep doo doo.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
$25 is a great price compared to what I just paid for them locally.

I cannot get the WILSON magazine loaded with eight rounds (or the oem 8 rd CHECKMATE) to seat when the chamber is loaded. I don't want to force it. Is the 8 rd design to allow chambering a round w/o dropping the magazine and topping it off with another round?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
Just picked up 4 more Wilsons for about $24 each. Use promotion code M3P for $10 off and free shipping on your orders.

Wilson 47D at Brownells ( M3P promotion code )

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
7-round Wilson Combat 47 mags (as opposed to the 8-round 47D) will still extend just a touch beyond the grip on a full-sized 1911. I still use the 47s in my full-size 1911s, and I prefer Wilson's low-profile steel base pads to boot.

Wilson does offer a 7-round "service mag" that appears to be a flush-fit. GI-style mags and many others (Checkmate, et.al.) will provide a flush-fit, too.

I'm so used now to the feel of handling Wilson mags with the low-profile base pads that flush-fit mags feel "funny" to me haha...

I've bought Wilsons from both Wilson directly and from Top Gun Supply.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used Wilson 47D's for carry, both seven and eight rounders. Bought the steel base pads to use for the mag carried in the gun. You can buy the steel pads to install or order the mag with them already installed.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/19...k/productinfo/47DCB/

I also have a couple of Wilson ETM's. Lot of marketing stuff, but only thing I can find that different from the 47D's is the base pad. It flares and facilitates manual mag removal if the mag doesn't drop/remove normally. Also slightly bulkier.

ETM:
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/19...ck/productinfo/500B/

Wilson mags have always worked for me over about 20 years and with three 1911's. For range mags, guys I know have good luck with the Metalforms and McCormacks. Hell, I still have a couple of old Colt mags I got with my Colt Series'70 in 1972 that work 100%.

None of my Wilson eight rounders seat with any undue pressure on a closed slide.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson 47D is still available, still works with an occasional spring replacement.
There are three later generations, the ETM, the ETM with flatwire spring, and the Vickers.

McCormick Power Mag is pretty good, their RPM gimmick seems to work. Tripp Cobramags are good.

Checkmates are ok, if you want 8 shots you have to be careful, they have one that will HOLD 8 rounds but not load under a closed slide, and another one that will.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
The checkmate hybrids with the longer 8 round mag body and removable baseplate have been 100% for me in 4 1911s. I get them from top gun supply.

McCormicks have been fine for me also. And Colt mags. And ACT mags. and Mec Gar mags. And Metalform mags.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Metalform makes a good mag at a decent price.
My Ed Brown Executive Carry came with Metalform mags.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Wilson 47D or ETM. I like the short basepad on the 47D for carry, but the springs need frequent replacing or you start risking the last round in the magazine outrunning the slide and getting in front of the extractor. ETM mags are a little longer and the springs seem to last longer. I haven't had to replace an ETM spring yet. The ETMs also seat easier when fully loaded.

I normally order from Brownells, Top Gun Supply, or directly from Wilson if they are running a sale.

I also like McCormick Power Mags and Tripp Cobra Mags for 8 round magazines.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Metalform mag. Purchased quite a few some time ago for a very fair price and everyone has functioned great.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
In my old Sig and my dads SA I always had good luck with Chip McCormack 8rd mags. Affordable and available locally.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I ordered 3 Check-Mate 7 round mags with the 'super' spring. I reckon what I'll do is pick up 2 here, 3 there, until I have 6 good 100% magazines. But these'll do long enough for me to get the other requirements. Smile

Banned
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Greg Cote. He is uasaoz on the Forum.
Well priced and great delivery. he has been my go to guy for a while.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post