SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    21a Bobcat fix and 225A1 improvement.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

21a Bobcat fix and 225A1 improvement. Login/Join 
posted
Ok. Two topics one thread. Saving bandwidth. In reverse order. I watched jljones video with Bruce in thumb placement on Sig P series guns irt failures to slide lock on empty mag. I had previously dremeled the shit out of the 225A1 slide release to make it dimensionally Legion size. It worked I never inadvertently ride it. My son also complains about it and it is harder to actuate. So after watching the video I swapped back into an unmodified one and am trying to relearn my technique on the P series. I also bought the 3 pack of springs from Wolff to swap out the mainspring. As you know the 225A1 ships with the red DAK spring. It’s too much. Great smooth trigger stroke but too heavy. Most people seem to opt for the 19lb mainspring for reliability. I split the difference and started with the 18 pounder. No malfunctions yet and the trigger pull is much improved.

On a previous thread I lamented my 21a Bobcat and it’s performance issues. I have fluffed and buffed, polished, lubed, not lubed, fired the shit out of it, etc. No joy, unless I run CCI and keep it really clean it malfunctions mercilessly on other brands of bulk pack. I know it runs on mini mags great but it also runs on CCI Blazer bulk pack as well (which I suspect is mini mags without the copper wash, but I digress). My nemesis is Remington Golden Bullets. Yes this is trashy ammo but I happen to have a ton of it. So it is my measuring rod of whether I have improved anything if it fires this crap reliably.

Having tried everything else I or the interwebz could think of I finally pulled it apart and snipped one and a half coils of each recoil spring. Off topic those are tiny little screws holding the grip panels on, I kind of buggered them a bit trying to get them out which I hate but oh well.

On to the potentially good news. I took this thing to the range a couple days ago and ran about 150 rounds of Rem Golden’s, no cleaning. I had exactly 1 (one), yes I said 1 malfunction. It was a nose low feed that hung up on a very dirty feed ramp. It ate everything. It is too early to state this is the fix but it sure feels like I have fixed it.

I am staying very alert for signs of peening or excess slide velocity since I cut the springs. I might have solved this. Only took 3 years and 5000 rounds of ammo. Sheesh.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised the A1 makes use of a 19lb spring when the stock 239 spring is 18lb? I did swap my 239 with a 16lb spring giving that pistol a much easier stroke.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but the red DAK spring is in the low 20’s range. I actually heard 24 but haven’t confirmed. Most people question why the 225A1 comes with that spring vice the std. 239 spring.

Anyway, 18 lbs is much improved. I’m going to try the 17 lb one and check reliability. It it’s good even better.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I suspect that with quality defense ammo, it’s a safe move...
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I could be wrong but the red DAK spring is in the low 20’s range. I actually heard 24 but haven’t confirmed. Most people question why the 225A1 comes with that spring vice the std. 239 spring.

Anyway, 18 lbs is much improved. I’m going to try the 17 lb one and check reliability. It it’s good even better.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post