SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How do you grip your Gun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you grip your Gun? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Why World Champion Bob Vogel Grips His Handgun The WRONG Way (And It May Be The Best Grip Ever!)
Survival & Preppingby Caleb - Jun 6, 2017 1 176

Do you want to shoot your handgun well?

I mean do you want to shoot it fast?

And do you want to shoot it accurate?

Then, your GRIP is absolutely one of the most important parts of shooting your handgun fast & accurate. That’s why you need to see this!

You Will Never Shoot Your Handgun Fast AND Accurate With A Poor Grip!

Gripping your handgun is so important that I’ve spilled much digital ink on these digital pages about it…

How to grip a handgun to shoot fast & accurate is my classic article about how to … well … grip a handgun to shoot fast & accurate!

In that article, I dispel many myths about gripping the handgun and show you what works for me and the little tips & tricks that I’ve picked up over many hours of training/practice.

On this page, there is a video showing the “classic” thumbs forward grip preferred by almost all modern day shooters.

But today, we’re going to talk about Bob Vogel because he breaks the mold, in every way.

Bob Vogel, One of The World’s Best Handgun Shooters, Grips His Handgun The “WRONG” Way…

Bob grips it the “Vogel” way.

And he’s been very, very successful with it.

From his website:

“… at present Robert is now a 3-time world champion and 23-time national champion across 3 disciplines of practical/combat shooting and has been all over the World competing and teaching. Besides this, he has been a Police Officer for over 13 years. Eight and a half of those years were spent as a full-time street cop while also being a member of the county’s joint-department SWAT team. During that tenure he also served as a firearm instructor for both the department and the SWAT team.“

In the following video from Panteo Productions, Bob breaks down his grip and how it differs from the standard thumbs forward grip:

for more info:
http://preparedgunowners.com/2...-the-best-grip-ever/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8355 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this video yesterday actually. Very good, but to say his grip is so different from the current "thumbs forward" is a bit dramatic. The only thing different (unless I'm missing something) is his support hand is a bit higher than normal.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'll give the Vogel grip a shot.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Interesting. There are certain principles that seem absolute. You want to control, and minimize, recoil. You want a clean trigger press-- straight back, without pushing or pulling the trigger. There might be a few more. But the thing is: everybody's hand is different. And not only hand, but your entire upper anatomy: head, neck, shoulders. What Vogel has done, I think, is tailored his grip to achieve the absolutes in a way that suits his anatomy. Jerry Miculek sometimes does some funky things-- like support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard.

My point is that I think ultimately the best grip is the grip that works best for you. And it's a good idea to try different things to find out what might work best.

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not very strong, especially on my support side. It's been very hard for me to 'manage recoil primarily with the support hand' but after some minor tweaking of my grip per the video, even with my relatively weak support hand, the grip feels much more solid.

My strong hand grip was reasonably consistent with the video already but a minor tweak to the support hand seems to make a big difference. Dry firing feels good - quick trigger finger manipulation is possible without moving off target.

I anxious to try it out at the range.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That looks similar to the grip jljones demonstrates in the recently posted video on a controlling grip. Vogel's weak hand looks to be slightly further up and forward than Jerry's.

I was going to try Jerry's grip the next time I shot, as I am using a more traditional Weaver thumbs forward grip. I will likely also try Vogel's, although I do have the meatier hands he mentions, and I am not looking for tracks in the thick of my thumb.

Thanks for posting.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
One size does not fit all.

It's not complicated, whatever works best for you is what works best for you.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tactical Teacup.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
This topic reminds me of one of the Top Shot seasons where one of the competitors was not a gun guru or former operator and some of his team mates kept trying to get him to use a "correct" or "more proper" grip. Problem is he shot very well with the grip he was already comfortable with yet they persisted that he was "doing it wrong". Yet every time he tried to use their suggested "correct grip" he shot worse. Using the grip he was comfortable with, he typically shot better than the more experienced shooters with more typically accepted grip methods. I'm in the camp that while there are some established grip norms and techniques to try, gripping a pistol or rifle are a very personal thing within reason. If you can shoot your firearm well the way you are comfortable holding it, then you're using the correct grip for you and that's all that matters.

As for the video, using his words, I would say my grip resembles a hybrid "monkey grip" not the much touted thumbs forward grip, whether shooting pistols or revolvers and it works for me. While I know there are people that shoot better than I do, I have very humbly observed that I am frequently the best shot on the line at the pistol range when I go to practice as compared to the targets I see in the other lanes regardless of technique, age, or gender of the other range goers. Seems my hybrid monkey grip works for me even though I have definitely tried and suggested a variety of grip methods to others, and still do from time to time just to compare and contrast.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you guys but when I shoot I actually try to avoid the web of my strong hand coming in contact with the rear of the slide

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Exactly. Some people may have permanent hand injuries and not be able to grip a certain way. Or, it may just not work for them.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That looks similar to the grip jljones demonstrates in the recently posted video on a controlling grip. Vogel's weak hand looks to be slightly further up and forward than Jerry's.

I was going to try Jerry's grip the next time I shot, as I am using a more traditional Weaver thumbs forward grip. I will likely also try Vogel's, although I do have the meatier hands he mentions, and I am not looking for tracks in the thick of my thumb.

Thanks for posting.

I missed that vid post. Tried a search. Could you point me in the right direction to find it?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I generally agree with you. But one point from the video is universally true, I think. Emphasize the weak hand grip in order to leave the strong hand freer for better trigger control. Trigger control, trigger control, trigger control…

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
First off, it is NOT a monkey grip. This term is clearly inaccurate and intended as derogatory. Monkeys do not have opposable thumbs. It is more accurately described as a hammer grip.

Personally, I prefer the hammer grip with the tip of my strong hand thumb touching the tip of my strong hand middle finger, and my support hand thumb actually pressing down my strong hand thumbnail.

I am aware that thumb forwards grip styles are considered better for shooting speed and accuracy. However, in a real world social encounter, I am concerned about more than speed and accuracy. I am concerned about weapons retention, one handed use and not having to shift my strong hand grip, and what comes naturally in a high stress situation.

If I have to use my support hand for something other than grip support, the hammer grip allows me to maintain a firm strong grip on the gun without shifting my grip. The thumbs forward grip simply does not feel secure to me one handed. I can't shoot well thumbs forward one handed. And I don't think I could maintain control of the gun thumbs forward one handed in a retention situation or even if I just got knocked down, or tripped. With the hammer grip, the support hand supports what the strong hand is already doing, and the strong hand does not have to change position at all even if the support hand gets assigned other duties.

So why might I need to use my support hand for something other than support? Fending off a grappling or knife attack. Opening a door. Unlocking a door. Turning on a light. Turning off a light. Holding a flashlight. Carrying something. Holding a child's hand. Providing support to someone injured. Providing support to myself if injured. Holding a ballistic shield. Using a cell phone or other communications device. Waving some one off. Scratching my balls. Picking my nose. Etc.

All of that can be done while maintaining a better one handed grip like a hammer than with a loose thumbs forward.

Additionally, If I need to use the gun like an actual hammer to beat in someone's head, a one handed hammer grip is clearly superior.

Further and perhaps most critically. If you are accustomed to a thumbs forward grip, in a high stress social situation, if you have a revolver, you may push you thumbs forward of the forcing cone. Hot gasses can escape sideways through the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone. This can result in serious injuries particularly with larger calibers.

I want to train and primarily use weapons with the same or similar manual of arms to reduce confusion under stress. This has been discussed multiple times. For the same reason I want a single consistent grip with all my pistols and handguns. Also good with ARs.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. I am that little minded hobgoblin.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Was at a renewal class for Maryland's concealed carry permit (Yes we have to take an 8 hour class for renewal and 16 hours for initial permit), one of the guys couldn't hit the paper with the grip the instructor told him to use, he was failing badly but then we started snap draw rapid fire, he pulled out his revolver and held in a Dirty Harry stance and put them all in the black-that's how he learned to shoot and did very well that way. So what ever works. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Personally, I prefer the hammer grip with the tip of my strong hand thumb touching the tip of my strong hand middle finger, and my support hand thumb actually pressing down my strong hand thumbnail.

I am aware that thumb forwards grip styles are considered better for shooting speed and accuracy. However, in a real world social encounter, I am concerned about more than speed and accuracy. I am concerned about weapons retention, one handed use and not having to shift my strong hand grip, and what comes naturally in a high stress situation.

If I have to use my support hand for something other than grip support, the hammer grip allows me to maintain a firm strong grip on the gun without shifting my grip. The thumbs forward grip simply does not feel secure to me one handed. I can't shoot well thumbs forward one handed. And I don't think I could maintain control of the gun thumbs forward one handed in a retention situation or even if I just got knocked down, or tripped. With the hammer grip, the support hand supports what the strong hand is already doing, and the strong hand does not have to change position at all even if the support hand gets assigned other duties.

So why might I need to use my support hand for something other than support? Fending off a grappling or knife attack. Opening a door. Unlocking a door. Turning on a light. Turning off a light. Holding a flashlight. Carrying something. Holding a child's hand. Providing support to someone injured. Providing support to myself if injured. Holding a ballistic shield. Using a cell phone or other communications device. Waving some one off. Scratching my balls. Picking my nose. Etc.

All of that can be done while maintaining a better one handed grip like a hammer than with a loose thumbs forward.

Additionally, If I need to use the gun like an actual hammer to beat in someone's head, a one handed hammer grip is clearly superior.

You are compromising your 2-hand grip for an over-thought and non-existent reason IMHO. The one-handed grip does not work the way you describe in practice. It would take an un-natural effort to keep the strong side thumb up and floating in the air shooting one-handed. In the thumbs-forward 2 hand grip, the strong thumb is pushing down on the weak thumb. When the weak hand isn't there, it just pushes down until contacting the frame...in the strong "hammer" grip you are talking about. It happens without thought or any training to make it so. It is just how things are held with one hand.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Good tips.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I agree with you whole-heartedly Fenris. Sounds like you and I have an almost identical grip. I use my support hand to create a shelf and support as much of the bottom of the trigger guard as is reasonable and comfortable for my hand size. I actually don't find it to be a detriment to my speed or accuracy as compared to other grip styles, quite the contrary, at least for me. I'm not out there participating in organized gun games or competitions, at least not for some time now, but I'm perfectly comfortable with how my grip works for me with the practice I put in and the results I get. Hopefully it will never be necessary to find out how it would work in a self defense situation but I'm equally confident it would serve me well.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post