SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Weapon Shield lube
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon Shield lube Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I used breakfree or remoil for a long time, and thought they worked well.
When Weaponshield was introduced, you could email them, and they would send a small free sample bottle.
By the time I used up that bottle, there was no doubt that I was ordering a bottle...a large one.

As the OP says, Weaponshield seems to stay where you put it. Not only in storage. Even after a long day at the range, everything is still lubed.

I have to give honorable mention to Ballistol. I bought it to deal with corrosive 5.45 ammo residue, and find it to be useful stuff.

If you've never had a free lunch, you are'nt trying hard enough

Posts: 213 | Location: The North Coast of America, Southern Coast of Lake Erie | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am happy to see this thread on the forum. I have been using Weaponshield for a few years now and I am very pleased with it both as a cleaner and lubricant. I thought I was the only one in the world who used it because there have been many threads on various lubricants but I have never seen one on WS......this is the first.
I dropped my rather large bottle of WS recently off my work bench and it cracked at the top and leaks badly when I try to pour it so I ordered a bunch of needle oil bottles(empty), filled them with the remaining WS and now use those oilers, which I find very convenient. I really like this product and I'm glad to see very positive comments about it.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't decide what I want to do. I went to Amazon and placed a 16 oz bottle of that Weapons Shield in my cart not once but twice and I took it out for the third time. I've gone all these years w/o it, but the main reason is that I have 2 unopened 16 oz bottles of Breakfree CLP. plus allot of Hoppes #9. I just thought I have a couple cans of that Ballistol I've never opened.

I would order a 4 oz bottle but they want way to much for it. I can't see sinking almost 32.00 in something I really don't need. I'm glad I talked myself out of that LOL.

When I go to the range it's not an all day affair. A couple hours is enough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ruger Redhawk,

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I used it for awhile when it first came out and thought it was pretty good. I think WS cleans about the same as Breakfree, but neither is as good as good old Hoppes as far as strictly cleaning. Lubrication I'd give the nod to WS, although again there are dedicated lubes such as the Slip products that are better at that task in my opinion.

Preserving on the other hand is questionable for any CLP. Short term storage in a somewhat controlled place (safe with dehumidifier or such) WS or BF will do fine for couple of months but longer storage requires a dedicated "storage" product. For that I like Breakfree Collector. If you decide you want to shoot the gun, Collector wipes off easily and requires no other products to remove it. Breakfree claims Collector is good for 5 years, but I think that's stretching it and I'd opt for something else if I were storing a gun long term where I couldn't get at it to reapply now and again. Of course I'm talking about guns that are prone to rust like carbon steel blued guns. Guns with SS, nitride or any of the current designer finishes need very little in the way of storage protection. Not NONE, but not near as much as blued.

Anyway, WS is good product and I'd use it again as a CLP if it were easier to find.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
+1

quote:
Originally posted by Rotty37:
Another fan of WeaponShield. It's all I use and it's been perfect for my AR and pistols in all temperature ranges.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post