New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 30S Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Looking for those with experience with the G30S with respect to reliability. I've seen some old (2013?) posts that talk about slide not going into battery at times.

Also hickok45 had a last round malfunction when 10 round mag was loaded with 10 rounds - also 2013.

I understand all 30S have the SF frame, and I handled one today and it's nice. I know it will be be snappier than the 21SF I currently have, and I plan to mostly shoot it with G21 13 round magazines.

If I do get it, I'll sell the 21.

Do not plan on carrying it. This is for nightstand duty.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I had one for about a year, shot it very little,
never had any issues with it, no failures but then
again maybe 200 to 400 rounds through it overall.

Traded it in when I bought my G40 as it was just
sitting around taking up space, never carried it,
found my 19 to be a better carry, or the 43 so the 30
just sat.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I have had no failures of any kind with 9 or 10 round mags, or with the 21 mags. It's a great shooter and carries well. I do not plan on parting with it.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Only round I’ve found that hangs up in mine is Critical Duty. It hates those. Otherwise it’s been flawless. Recoil is significant. Magazines are extremely stiff when new. Overall I like mine quite a bit.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one and I like it a lot. Fits most of my G19 holsters which is nice. So far mine has been 100% functional. I will admit that loading a magazine with 10 rounds on a closed slide is next to impossible. I load 10 into the gun with an open slide and let it drop and carry it with one in the pipe and 9 in the mag. I also carry a G21 mag as a spare. Recoil is very snappy, I’m not usually sensitive to recoil but the G30S gets me.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a few thousand rounds through mine and haven't had a malfunction yet. Factory ammo, my reloads, and defensive ammo.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Mine has seen about 500 rounds, lawman, gold dots, geco, no issues. Great carry piece

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one for about a year. Ran about 500 rounds through it of Federal AE ball and HSTs
Usual boring Glock reliability and accuracy. I like the P250 .45 Compact better so I sold the G30.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had mine since March of ‘14. After a while I made it better. I have a Zev trigger and Zevsprings and connector. I also replaced the barrel with a BarSto. I love it! I also dremmeled the frame under the trigger for comfort. I must have more than 1000 rounds through it.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got about 500 rounds thru mine, all hardball. No malfunctions of any kind, but I mostly use 13 rounders from the 21 in it. I've only got two of the 10 round mags, and they are a bitch to load.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
They're great shooting guns and the ones I've seen or shot have been reliable. Will have one as soon as someone decides to put a gen4 frame under a 30S slide. Why they don't offer that is beyond me.

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Glock 30 and have shot w buddy's 30S some with no issues, but:

If this is strictly a nightstand gun, why ditch a full-size 21SF for it, especially to then run the full-size mags in it? You're right about it being a little snappier to shoot and the shorter barrel will have a small effect on ballistics, so why go to a harder to shoot, not quite as good performing gun in a role where there is no need for a size compromise?

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I've had mine a few years and it's always been reliable, never a problem.
The recoil (to me) seems like any light weight .45, but the addition of rubber Talon grips really keeps the gun from slipping in your hand between shots.
I keep the mags downloaded by 1 round, this way they seat properly with normal force during reloads.
The pistol is very accurate.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Had one for a short while; if I carried a 45 this would likely be The One, though re-stippling would be a must-do. But since I don't so it became another of those guns that just takes up room in places where that safe space is already a premium. Something had to go and it along with a few others were goners. As a range gun I much prefer shooting the standard slide G30. Its fat, heavier slide may not be as carry-friendly but it does the whole recoil dampening thingy very well compared to the sibling G30S.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G30s in a Nelson holster is part of my carry rotation when I want to carry a .45ACP. It is not a range gun so do not get shot very much. Just enough once in a while to make sure it function reliably. So far so good with no issues at all.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward keeping the known reliability of the bird in the hand - 21SF - and getting a stipple job and removing the finger grooves. Or not.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
My G30S has a few hundred rounds through it with no malfunctions. Mostly FMJ with a few boxes of Winchester PDX1 Defender JHP. It fits my G19 Stealthgear holster perfectly. It is not part of my normal carry lineup, but if the courts follow through and force the District of Columbia to issue carry permits, the G30S will be the one pistol I register in DC and carry there.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I has a standard G30 Gen3 for a while and liked the gun a lot. I traded it for a SP2340 in .357SIG. I missed that gun so planned on picking up the 30S at some point. I have been holding out to see if it would be made with the Gen4 frame, but I'm starting to lose hope.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
I've had one for about 2.5 years, and it's my winter carry gun. Zero malfunctions with any mag. 11 rounds of 45 in a package smaller than a 19 (it's close though), lots of firepower. I hated the Gen 3 frame texture, so I had a stipple job done that dramatically changed the feel of the pistol. Buy one in confidence.

Posts: 103 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post