SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911/1911A1 GI clones - ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911/1911A1 GI clones - ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob Decker:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bionic218:

If you're looking for authentic, why not go with a CMP issued gun?

The OP is looking for cheap/low cost. CMP issued guns in nice condition are certainly not cheap.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ's 1911A1 was a limited run of 1000. Mine is #532. I bought a second one but it wasn't quite as good as the one I kept. I think it was just a "thing" for them, and the guns were made by Dan Wesson. Slide to frame fit is a bit loose like a real GI pistol (and cheaper to make due to no fitting), but otherwise the fit/finish is up to DW standards.

Right now the Nighthawk Colts look fantastic:

Yep, not a low cost clone and not exactly GI spec, but the bobbed hammer and minimalist beavertail will make a big difference when shooting it, and it's not as odd looking as the DW A2 with that big Novak rear sight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
CZ's 1911A1 was a limited run of 1000. Mine is #532. I bought a second one but it wasn't quite as good as the one I kept. I think it was just a "thing" for them, and the guns were made by Dan Wesson. Slide to frame fit is a bit loose like a real GI pistol (and cheaper to make due to no fitting), but otherwise the fit/finish is up to DW standards.

Right now the Nighthawk Colts look fantastic:

Yep, not a low cost clone and not exactly GI spec, but the bobbed hammer and minimalist beavertail will make a big different when shooting it, and it's not as odd looking as the DW A2 with that big Novak rear sight.

2 really nice pistols in the picture.

I wanted one of the CZ 1911A1's.Ended up buying a Browning HP 40 instead. I didn't realize only 1000 were made. Currently, I don't have a 1911, which is unusual for me.

Is your CZ 1911 reliable?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a Dan Wesson A2? They went out of production last year but there are still some around. The parkerized looks great IMHO.
Edit: I see someone already mentioned the A2.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local shop has a Colt original issue reproduction from several years ago, that's probably as close as you can get. If you're interested let me know and I'll put you in contact with them. They do ship.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va
Is your CZ 1911 reliable?

I put 50 rounds of FMJ through it the other day it it was 100%. The extractor is really tight - removing it you can feel it is sprung enough to bind in the channel. Have to lightly tap it back in too. But this doesn't seem to affect function, maybe it improves it some. Most other 1911's I've owned have extractors that more or less drop in and and have a little bit of play against the backplate.

But like all GI's I get slide and hammer bite. I shot it, a worked over Springfield Mil-Spec that has been upgraded with S&A beavertail and mostly Ed Brown internals, and a Legion P220 SAO.

The Legion was best hands down. Accurate, more comfortable to shoot, and the SAO trigger despite not being quite as crisp as a 1911, was more than good enough. My other .45 is an HK45 and it shoots more softly than an 1911 despite being 1/2 pound lighter.

At this point, I don't really need a 1911, except to have a nostalgic example like the CZ. The Mil-Spec was my test bed and training ground so it's good to mess around with. Only thing I would do differently was the radius cuts for the beavertail. I didn't do as well as I would like and the back of the frame could use some finish cleanup.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a NIB TISAS at my LGS and the finish and machining quality look great for the price.

Here's my post.

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post