SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My new P228 "Classic Carry"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new P228 "Classic Carry" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sweeeeeeet. When is the range report.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Wish mine had come with the SRT. Had to add it myself.

That sucks. But, that's what I've read. Some come with the SRT. Others not. There is no rhyme or reason for it.

Those that didn't come with it were a manufacturing issue. Contact Sig and they will take care of it. Had that issue with both of mine and they made it right.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
ah3, Already been there, done that. Snarky Customer Service guy just wanted to argue with me about it. Said SRT just meant the thin trigger, not the Short Reset Trigger.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
ah3, Already been there, done that. Snarky Customer Service guy just wanted to argue with me about it. Said SRT just meant the thin trigger, not the Short Reset Trigger.

Another example of bullshit that some untrained CSR tried to pull on the customer. They just pull shit out of thin air like that, and sometimes they straight out lie to you, and it just pisses me off.

I have yet to hear back from the CSR that lied in written email to me recently.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like those stocks

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I'll assume the upper came with the correct length recoil spring? And I dig the Newington address.

It didn't (white). But, that was remedied with the actual original P228 spring. Smile

Just when I thought I has getting a handle on the P228
I have just gotten a German 228 slide assy that came with an unpainted and longer recoil spring than the white one I have for the M11-A1

When searching this I have seen where a white spring is installed by Sig when it is sent in for work.

So will either one work but the unpainted longer one is actually the correct one?

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I'll assume the upper came with the correct length recoil spring? And I dig the Newington address.

It didn't (white). But, that was remedied with the actual original P228 spring. Smile

Just when I thought I has getting a handle on the P228
I have just gotten a German 228 slide assy that came with an unpainted and longer recoil spring than the white one I have for the M11-A1

When searching this I have seen where a white spring is installed by Sig when it is sent in for work.

So will either one work but the unpainted longer one is actually the correct one?

The long unpainted one is the only correct one for a P228, which is defined by its relatively lightweight stamped carbon steel slide. To manage the light, fast-moving slide, you need a long stiff recoil spring for the gun to function properly and to avoid damage to the frame.

The white paint short one is meant for a 9mm P229, which has a heavier stainless slide, which moves less and more slowly, thus needing the shorter and weaker spring to be able to cycle.

If you use the P228 unpainted spring in a P229, no harm done, you won't damage your gun, but it likely won't cycle except on really high power ammo.

If you use the P229 white spring in a P228, you risk damaging the frame, since the slide will impart too much force on the locking insert and the frame. Honestly, Sig shouldn't even be servicing the P228's if they are putting in that white spring. Which seems to be the case all the time from what I've heard so far

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:

If you use the P229 white spring in a P228, you risk damaging the frame, since the slide will impart too much force on the locking insert and the frame. Honestly, Sig shouldn't even be servicing the P228's if they are putting in that white spring. Which seems to be the case all the time from what I've heard so far

And please tell everyone how you came to this conclusion? I sure hope is it larger than an example of one.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had a new P228 Ni slide DLC barrel that SIG built for me 3 years ago. It's been sitting around forever waiting for a unique project with them that never materialized. So, I said screw it, I'm going to use it for something else. So, I just bought a new P229 Classic Carry frame and slapped the P228 upper on it. It turned out quite nice. Yeah, the original thin trigger was replaced with old fatty. The trigger pull (both DA and SA) is actually quite nice. It does have the SRT, although the case label does not mention it. Also, notice that the P229 serial prefix is at 55E, now.

Q, did you buy just a frame? And how did you get the P228 Ni slide sticker, did sig do that? Interesting s/n doesn't start with letters.
Very nice.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Well, something interesting happened. I told him in email a week ago what he said wasn't true at all, and that they should own up to it, instead of giving the customer the BS. And, I wasn't holding my breath for a reply. But, after my post above was made today, 3 hours later, I got a response trying to make it right this time. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm leaning not coincidence.

Some of these people just don't get it. They think we are idiots out here or something. Missing part of performing your job is understandable, because sometimes, shit happens to even the best of us. And, it is even forgivable, if you own up to your mistake. But, when you don't admit to your oversight and lied to your customer, it's hard for the customer to put trust in you again.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Q, did you buy just a frame? And how did you get the P228 Ni slide sticker, did sig do that? Interesting s/n doesn't start with letters.
Very nice.

Yes, bought just the frame from a GB dealer. This guy sells a lot of frames and slide/barrel assemblies separately, not just SIG but also Glock. When I received the frame and case, I noticed, from the label, that this might have been a complete gun originally. So, I asked him, and sure enough, he separated the frame and the upper and sold them separately. Not a big deal, because I only wanted a frame for the P228 upper. I just wanted to know, for my records, where/how things originated.

The new serial number style was started at SIG USA a few years ago, on all their models.

The P228 NICKEL SLIDE sticker is my own creation. Same thing I did with my M11-A1. Got rid of the slide and put another Ni slide on it. SIG also built this Ni slide up for me, when another slide I sent in previously for work was not suitable.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The white spring is not the correct one for the P228, period. It is shorter and weaker, and that is also fact. SIG had to tell you it's gtg for the P228, because that's the only option they had anymore. But, we all know the longer and stronger original spring that was designed specifically for the P228, and that is now discontinued, is the correct one for the P228.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:

Besides Q’s experience, I know of three or four people so far who have received serviced P228’s with white paint springs, one of whom I believe is on the other Sig forum.

Count me as another one. I sent in a P228 late last year for the SSP and it came back with the white painted spring.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
That's a looker, for sure! I dig those grips.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The white spring is not the correct one for the P228, period. It is shorter and weaker, and that is also fact. SIG had to tell you it's gtg for the P228, because that's the only option they had anymore. But, we all know the longer and stronger original spring that was designed specifically for the P228, and that is now discontinued, is the correct one for the P228.

We can all agree that the white spring is not as stout as the original 228 spring. Just a little food for thought... Every 228 that uses a 19lb mainspring/ original recoil spring has a higher slide velocity than the stock mainspring/ white spring combo.

I’ll have more time this evening to further this discussion and why I actually prefer the white spring.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
quote:

We can all agree that the white spring is not as stout as the original 228 spring. Just a little food for thought... Every 228 that uses a 19lb mainspring/ original recoil spring has a higher slide velocity than the stock mainspring/ white spring combo.

I’ll have more time this evening to further this discussion and why I actually prefer the white spring.

Not sure why you introduced a new variable into the equation. Shouldn't you be comparing stock mainspring/ original recoil spring with stock mainspring/ white spring combo? We're discussing here the original recoil spring vs the white recoil spring, everything else being equal. Introducing the 19lb mainspring, which is weaker than the stock mainspring, into one side of the equation will obviously change the result.

Q

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
SIG also built this Ni slide up for me, when another slide I sent in previously for work was not suitable.

Who does the plating for Sig?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
SIG also built this Ni slide up for me, when another slide I sent in previously for work was not suitable.

Some outfit local in NH. That's all they told me.

Q

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:

Some outfit local in NH. That's all they told me.

Picture don't do good nickel plating justice. Do you like it?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post