SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M17 Surplus Firemission, Soldier trying to find his issued pistol!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M17 Surplus Firemission, Soldier trying to find his issued pistol! Login/Join 
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted
An Army buddy of mine from Ft Campbell is trying to find the pistol he was issued. He is former SF and currently a MI officer in 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne. The pistol he carried to Iraq in 2018/2019 was turned back into Sig and he is trying to find it.

The serial number is TF002496

He has already found at least one from his units deployment as well.

If anyone has info on the pistol or the owner would like to make it known,please let me know!

thanks!

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a cool thought!
(wish I could buy the M4 and M9 that I carried in Iraq, ha!)

Good luck to your friend!

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Next time SIG has some of these for resale it would be a nice touch to offer former service members the opportunity to buy the one they carried in service.
I'm sure there is some way to verify that they were the former user like a photo of the SN or maybe through DOD records.
That would be a really nice touch if they could make it happen.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Next time SIG has some of these for resale it would be a nice touch to offer former service members the opportunity to buy the one they carried in service.
I'm sure there is some way to verify that they were the former user like a photo of the SN or maybe through DOD records.

I absolutely agree! The least we could do is give these men and women right of first refusal of something they might keep in the family for generations.

If I had that guy’s gun, I’d give it to him for free.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There's a group on FB that has them all cataloged and that s/n might be known. Prices are going way north and quickly, some selling well into the $2xxx range.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Prices are going way north and quickly, some selling well into the $2xxx range.
Not really surprising, the collector crowd always clamors for real military issued weapons since it is a rarely for modern ones to be released for civilian sales.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
There's a group on FB that has them all cataloged...".

Can you provide the link to them?
Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
The following serial numbers can be traced to the Soldiers the were issued to. We might even be able to provide an Official Army memorandum stating their provenance. Thanks all!

TF004574 MFP, HUMINT Sergeant
TF004575 ICP, Platoon Sergeant of ICP
TF004579 ICP, All-source Intelligence Warrant Officer in ICP
9+
TF004587 UAS, Platoon Sergeant of UAS
TF004572 MFP, HUMINT Sergeant
TF004570 MFP, HUMINT Sergeant
TF002544 MFP, HUMINT Sergeant
TF002534 MFP, HUMINT sergeant
TF002527 MFP, SIGINT Warrant Officer in MFP
TF002526 MFP, HUMINT Chief Warrant Officer in MFP
TF002522 UAS, Chief Warrant Officer in UAS
TF002520 ICP, Platoon Leader of ICP
TF002517 UAS, Platoon Leader of UAS
TF002515 MFP, Platoon Leader of MFP
TF001740 OPS, First Sergeants pistol, I'd like to own this and/or get it back to the 1SG, as he's a "gun guy".
TF002496 This one, we must find!

I'm all about connecting these Soldiers to their issued weapons, if we could do that that would be awesome. email or IM me. Thanks!

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I understand the Det-1 Marines were given the option to buy their Kimber pistols before they were sold. I don’t know if it was a Kimber thing or a USMC thing but I thought it was pretty cool.

If I’d have been given the opportunity to buy my M9 I’d have passed since it was a beater and I never carried it into harms way. My M240 though...

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I literally reached out to Sig and asked if they could assist with helping military folks find dealers willing to sell and all they did was send a link to their "find a dealer" page. Oh well, it was worth a shot...

Posts: 116 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: April 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michaelrm:
quote:

I literally reached out to Sig and asked if they could assist with helping military folks find dealers willing to sell and all they did was send a link to their "find a dealer" page. Oh well, it was worth a shot...

Thats a shame, but they won’t take the time to do it when they know they will sell regardless.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's a shame but SIG did this for notoriety and sales. Spending a bunch of labor hours to hunt down prior users who might in turn just sell them - what happens if a pistol was issued to several people? Who has priority? 1 word = HEADACHE.

Sounds easy in a vacuum but when you can package the pistols up, make a video about them being available, and ship them to distributors at a premium and move on with your day, that's the capitalist approach.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah it's a shame but SIG did this for notoriety and sales. Spending a bunch of labor hours to hunt down prior users who might in turn just sell them - what happens if a pistol was issued to several people? Who has priority? 1 word = HEADACHE.

Sounds easy in a vacuum but when you can package the pistols up, make a video about them being available, and ship them to distributors at a premium and move on with your day, that's the capitalist approach.

Agreed but we can still bitch about it Razz

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
From what I understand the Det-1 Marines were given the option to buy their Kimber pistols before they were sold.

I was under the impression that guns that actually belonged to the government could not be sold, and that this deal was possible because SIG had “loaned” them for evaluation without transferring ownership. No?

As an aside, some of us Army CID agents wanted to purchase our duty S&W model 10 revolvers upon retirement in the 1980s, but that was met with a firm, “Nope.” And I suppose that was for the best; I imagine they are enjoying their reincarnation as manhole covers or something equally useful, if not simply recombining with oxygen in the atmosphere some place. Roll Eyes

I will at least give credit to the fact that CID agents were among the few, if not the only soldiers whose weapons followed them from one unit to another throughout their careers.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when I retired from the USSS in 1986, I got the
"nope" reply when I asked to purchase my issued S&W
Model 19 2 1/2 bbl. The USSS had also issued me a
Colt detective special at New York City in 1963, but they had no record for that issued weapon - they took that one too. Any other other former
USSS agents here with similar experience in trying
to buy their issued firearms?

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post