SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone have any experience with a double tap defense derringer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any experience with a double tap defense derringer Login/Join 
posted
Looking for good bad and indifferent info on the two shot derringer.

Looking at it as a last chance belly gun. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One of the few handguns I sold(traded) was a 357 derringer, shot 38’s in it. It was O.K., generally speaking. One can easily get a handgun with more rounds, same or lighter weight, much better ‘manual of arms’. That is if carrying is planned.

I traded with a guy who was into ‘cowboy action shooting’. I don’t really miss it.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've shot several, parents had 3 or 4 when I was growing up.

I'd say any tiny 9mm or .380 semi (Ruger, etc.) would be a better idea.

I'd even go with a 5 shot .22 mag NAA before a 2 shot derringer.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Recoil is a bitch and they really are not that small given today’s world.

Why limit yourself to a low capacity, hard to load, comparatively heavy for the capacity expensive novelty when you can get any number of tiny 9mm handguns today that are better in every way?

Hell you can get .380’s that would be a better option that are small enough to hide in yer prison purse. Razz Eek

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This.

I carry a BUG along with my primary. Any of the modern BUGS would be superior to a derringer. In the unlikely need to deploy a BUG, it's nice to have something that will do the job beyond arm's length...and with more than two shots.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Derringers are fun guns with the added capability defense if needed. I've had several. My favorites were made by American Derringer, a single action .45/410 and a double action 357 on the old Hi-Standard platform. They were fun and useful. I sometimes carried the 357 in a wallet holster. I also enjoyed a Bond Arms model with three different caliber conversion barrels. If you want one, go high quality and weight is a benefit in the larger calibers. A glove is useful for prolonged range sessions. (Anything much more than 5 rounds can be prolonged.)

Happy shooting!

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Just whack yourself in the web of your hand with a framing hammer. Really, really hard. Almost perfect simulation. You can get a 6 or 7 0r 10 rd. 9mm that's hardly larger.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 16 tap Glock 19 for that purpose.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Derringers are one of those novelty guns that are more for fun and recreational shooting than anything else. I’d pick a micro-auto or even a J-frame as a last ditch gun. Years ago I had an Intratec double action derringer in .32 magnum. It was not too bad in the accuracy department, all things considered but impractical when compared to a small frame .38 special. By all means, buy one for fun but there are much better, faster, more accurate choices for a last ditch gun.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the former owner of a High Standard Derringer, I can say its .22 Magnum was the max load I could deal with in that design.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Derringers are best used in card games in saloons.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unless you get down into super-duper-tiny .22 derringers, they aren't really that much smaller than an ultra compact semiauto or J-frame revolver, but have some serious drawbacks with their capacity, ease of reloading, sights, and grip/recoil management.

No upside, with some major downsides. If you want one just to mess around with, that's fine. But for defensive use, even as a "last chance belly gun", it's a poor choice.

And the Double Taps in particular are large for a Derringer anyway.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have only looked them over in gun shows. That slab-sided, sharp-cornered, barely one-and-a-half-finger grip looks awfully painful to shoot.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Belly gun?

Just buy and carry a decent subcompact IWB. Buy pants a size larger if you need to.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
$569 for a two shooter? 2.9 ounces less than the P365. Fractionally smaller than a 10 +1 P365. Not for me.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one with the 9MM barrel set with a spare barrel set in .45 ported, The gun rarely failed to fire one of the barrels. The cartridge went off with the second hit. It was so narrow in the grip and fairly light so it was not fun to shoot. Fired 28 9MM's and decided that was enough punishment for one day. I was never brave enough to shoot it in .45 even with the ports. Sold everything.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They kick, hard. my local shop has several in stock at less than retail.. This is one gun where i would beg the bad guy,

"Please dont make me shoot you!"

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You'd be much better off with 5 shots of .22 Mag

NAA PUG:

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. What I should have said was this is a novelty not a practical use I have a p365 and a j frame for back up this was more of I want it. I’m looking around between that and the .38/357 cop 4 shot.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post