SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have some questions about the P229 Elite 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have some questions about the P229 Elite 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I recently traded into a P229R Elite 9mm pistol, California edition, for a song and dance and could not be happier with the deal. I actually really like the beaver tail on the frame, as to me it makes quite a difference with my grip. Anyway, I noticed when I got it home and compared it to my MK25,(also a Cali. model), the trigger pulls were quite different. The triggers were the same but the pull was different. The Elite trigger pull seems lighter/quite nice and does not take as much effort,(for the lack of a better term), compared to the MK25.

First, do the P229 Elite pistols have any trigger work done at the factory to give them such a nice/seemingly lighter trigger pull or is it just springs? The owner said that was the way it came when he bought it originally. On a side note, I realized the MK25 does not have the SRT kit on it but that is no big deal for me.

Second, I kind of know the answer but can I change the hammer spring to a lower weight and will it be anything like the Elite trigger pull/feel? For those who have done it, how did you like the results? I know many people send in their pistols to Sig to get the trigger enhancement package done but it is a little more than I can spend right now. I have no plans on carrying the MK25 and know I could have light primer strikes with changing things.

Lastly, for those that have a California model pistol,especially the P229, how hard was it to remove the magazine safety/connector on the locking block? I did it on my MK25 with ease, as Florida has no such provision for the extra part. The pin on the MK25 was able to just slide out but the P229 pin is really in there.

Any help from the hive would be appreciated.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
First, do the P229 Elite pistols have any trigger work done at the factory to give them such a nice/seemingly lighter trigger pull or is it just springs? The owner said that was the way it came when he bought it originally.

No. Production guns. They all tend to vary in trigger pulls to some degrees. Some are nice, others not so.

quote:
Second, I kind of know the answer but can I change the hammer spring to a lower weight and will it be anything like the Elite trigger pull/feel? For those who have done it, how did you like the results? I know many people send in their pistols to Sig to get the trigger enhancement package done but it is a little more than I can spend right now. I have no plans on carrying the MK25 and know I could have light primer strikes with changing things.

Yes. The lowest I went was to a Wolff 19-lb main spring on a P225. Some folks have gone lower without reported LPS.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the standard spring weight-21? I will have to try the 19. Thanks 12131

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standard is 24 lbs, so a 19 will make a noticeable difference. I use 19's in my P series guns. The SRT may have also improve the trigger vs. the Mk25. When I put the SRT in an old P6 it make a pretty big improvement, I assume the parts were machined better.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about the SRT kit and wasn't sure if it only changed the reset or if it changed the trigger pull as well. I may have to get a set first. Thanks

posted Hide Post
E2 strut may lighten it a but too. I remember a video where i guy put it in his old german sig and it lightened the pull. Mk25 surely has the old strut.

Posts: 25 | Registered: January 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^You may be on to something there with the E2 internal parts. The P229 has the E2 long hammer strut and short mainspring seat while the Mk25 has the short hammer strut and long plastic seat. I stumbled on a video from a guy named Ferrari Steve and he talked and swapped the internal parts and noticed the trigger pull was lighter with the same mainspring. I might also have to add the 19# spring 12131 and Strambo mentioned. Thanks to you both for commenting and welcome to Sig Forum capt. carl.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Swapping the new Style short strut long base to an E2 strut assy made a huge difference in my M11-A1.
I upgraded to the Sig Armorer Superstrut and supplied 20# spring since I was replacing it.

As a comparison.
I have a 226 Legion, M11-A1 and 229 Select.
The M11-A1 and 226 have the GGI EDC/SOT kit, the Select has the new GGI ELS kit.
All have an SRT and an Armory Craft hammer.
The Select and 226 are using Sig E2 struts that have been smoothed with 19# springs and the M11-A1 has the Superstrut with a 20# spring..

The M11-A1 has the smoothest trigger of the 3 with no additional polishing.
The 226 has had everything internal smoothed and buffed and is very good.
The Select has had nothing polished except for the strut.

The 226 and M11 come in at 6 lbs 10 oz DA and 3.5 SA, no creep and crisp break.
The Select came in at 7 lbs 4 oz DA and 3.5 Lbs SA, no creep and a crisp break.

I upgraded my old 220 to an E2 hammer/strut assy as well.
That made a noticeable difference in it from the spur hammer assy.
If Gray Guns made an ELS kit for the old 220's I would drop one in it in a heartbeat.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked around this morning for E2 kits and contemplated what to do. I finally decided to go the E2 route due to seeing a couple videos about how it changed the pull and only decreased the pull weight a little. When I get it I will report back with my findings. I will also report back after my wife finds the receipts for the things I am ordering. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
After installing the E2 grips kit on my 226, I have to say the trigger pull does seem different/lighter, compared to how it did prior. It is much better now.