SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Compensator Fail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Compensator Fail Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
So-called "Roland Special" Glocks with red dots and large boxy compensators are the new hotness.

But it you need to be careful about which compensator design you use.

Most look something like this, with a series of skinny ports around the perimeter:

However, for some reason, some companies offer compensators with large ports:

As he is wont to do, Murphy will find a way...

Here's a video of a guy shooting his "Roland Special" Glock with one of these large port compensators. His brass is ejecting rather weakly (likely due to the use of modified spring weights), and one piece of brass manages to land perfectly inside the large port on the top of his compensator. His next trigger pull resulted in a squib-like malfunction, destroying his compensator and potentially damaging other parts on his gun.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/8ogWxJLVMSI

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hole-in-one.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Do it again. Do it again...

Wouldn't have guessed that in a million rounds.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Neat. Shot right through the casing with the last round.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. Someone at work wanted to add a compensator and I'll show him this video.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, one in a million. That's crazy.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's more to building an "Open Glock" than just putting a comp on it. Usually you fiddle with the extraction/ejection parts to get it to throw them flatter out from under the sight mount. Of course with an RMR there's no need... until you watch this video and see there still is.

The comped Glock is about the worst thing you can do. Usually it's what people do in USPSA to see if they want to shoot Open, but don't want to spend all the money on a real Open gun. So they sink all that money into building it. It never really works right and they end up selling it to someone else, who never really gets it to work right. Most of the people I know with Open Glocks never actually shoot them, and they're the 3rd or 4th owner. Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't / shouldn't these people just get a Glock 34? Weren't they designed for competition?
As a non-competitive shooter I really don't know.

Posts: 1753 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Even a highly unlikely event is certain to happen over time with enough repetitions.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
Couldn't / shouldn't these people just get a Glock 34? Weren't they designed for competition?
As a non-competitive shooter I really don't know.

I'm not an expert on these type of "Roland Special" builds, but it seems like most people aren't using them for competition. These aren't designed primarily as "Open Class" competitive guns, although they do borrow some design elements from that style of competitive pistol. Instead, they're designed for defensive use. (Supposedly. I think they're designed mostly to cater to the Trust Fund Tacticool crowd and look "cool" on Instagram.)

Here's a Guns N Ammo article that gives an overview of the "Roland Special" G19: http://www.gunsandammo.com/net...nd-special-glock-19/

The theory behind them is that they take the concealable grip of the G19, add a light for better night/low-light defensive capability, a red dot for easier/faster sight acquisition, and a compensator for less felt recoil and faster follow-up shots. And because of the shape and size of those types of compensators, which are similar in dimensions to a Glock slide, they will generally fit in a G17 or G34 holster, so you don't have to get a custom carry holster made.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You need a comp tp tame the power of the 9mm and to pull off those lightening fast .65 splits. Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
...designed mostly to cater to the Trust Fund Tacticool crowd and look "cool" on Instagram...

TRUTH.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Even a highly unlikely event is certain to happen over time with enough repetitions.

True. I mentioned one time that I had a hot case land perfectly between my glasses and my eyebrow giving me a nice little burn.

I thought it was a one in a million until a bunch of people chimed in and said it has happened to them.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post