Find
Notify
Tools

Kahr P40 Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
Anyone here have a Kahr P40? What are your experiences with it?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I have several Kahr polymer 9mms. Love them. Tried the P40. Too much recoil for me. Not really painful but consistently broke my two hand grip. Too much of a good thing, for me.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I had a P40 (1 of 9 KAHR pistols) in the past. Light weight, accurate and typical long but very smooth KAHR trigger. Mine was one of the earlier "blunt nose" versions. No experience with the newer "tapered nose" version. I usually carried wth a lesser grain bullet to reduce recoil a bit.

If you can find one for a good price, give it a try.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I regret selling mine. Very reliable, very concealable, and ran like a top.

Very accurate as well.

Kind of punchy recoil-wise, but no worse than an Airweight SW with +p 38s

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
The barrel steel is too soft on some of them, it tends to peen over the locking surface on the top of the barrel to the point where it wont unlock properly.

Some are OK, some have issues, but I have seen it happen enough that I dont trust them.

The largest agency in the US that allowed them as an off duty piece saw the same issue and doesnt allow them to be added to anyone's firearm card anymore.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had and have PM9s. Great little pi$$ant gun - never had any problems over several years. Not a .40 fan so never had one but an acquaintance has three CM40s stashed around and swears by (not at) them. What agency was that?

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
Anyone here have a Kahr P40? What are your experiences with it?

I have several, with standard barrels, extended ported barrels, etc. Each experienced substantial barrel peening. Slide stops fell out during firing. They had a habit of not fully returning to battery, and one, upon returning from a 9 month sojurn at Kahr for repairs (peening, etc), blew out in my hand, burning my hand and face and blowing out the side of the pistol and magazine well.

Other than that, they're great. I say that sarcastically.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Kahrs, but not that one, so I hope you don't mind an opinion. And that is that this gun is too lightweight for this cartridge, both in the kick imparted to your hand and for durability. If you're wedded to a .40 in a Kahr you're better off with an all steel (carbon or stainless) K40.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I purchased one when they first camr out.
Even traded it, then purchased it back , after some one purchased it and brought it back to the gun shop on a trade.

Then I kept it for about another year before selling it.

Mine was reliable,lightweight, and very accurate.

Only problem I had with it, was the slide release spring, which Kahr replaced.

I, however , was very leery of the light pull of the trigger,and the grip just seemed too narrow in width. I always kept a Hogue Handall on it.

That was my last marraige with Kahr guns.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
The barrel steel is too soft on some of them, it tends to peen over the locking surface on the top of the barrel to the point where it wont unlock properly.

Some are OK, some have issues, but I have seen it happen enough that I dont trust them.

The largest agency in the US that allowed them as an off duty piece saw the same issue and doesnt allow them to be added to anyone's firearm card anymore.

That's good to know car, that would explain exactly what's going on with my K9.

I wonder if this is a warranty item with Khar Arms.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the P40, but have very comfortably
and confidently carried the P9 Covert in an ankle rig for quite some time before my #2 son claimed it as his carry piece.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
Can't help with the P40, but have very comfortably
and confidently carried the P9 Covert in an ankle rig for quite some time before my #2 son claimed it as his carry piece.

Shame on you, giving it up, those were scarce and very nice .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post