SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooting revolvers in 'Action' games: hard grips versus rubber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting revolvers in 'Action' games: hard grips versus rubber Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Do you have a preference in grip material for Steel Challenge, IDPA, bowling pin matches, and other games that are not slow fire Bullseye format?

I think I shoot better with hard laminate grips versus rubber/soft synthetic, but maybe it's just my imagination.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot the factory rubber grips on my S&W 617 in Steel Challenge. In summer, it keeps the gun secure in my hand. If I needed to change the grips, I'd switch to G-10 before wood, but that's just my preference.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have never liked rubber grips, too slimy when wet.
I prefer a very textured plastic grip preferably wrapped in stair tape.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I have used both. I prefer VZ G10 grips.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I shot USPSA with rubber and wood grips. Started off with Hogue X frame grips because they were hand filling. Switched to Nills because they were hand filling. lol I don't think I shot one better than the other, or had issues with one or the other.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the period I tried my 617 in action games for fun I had no issues with the factory grips. and I doubt another grip material would have improved my scores Smile

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I jazzed up my 627 Pro for games I bought a smooth wood grip. I quickly swapped over to the smooth rubber Hogue’s sans finger grooves. They aren’t pretty but they shoot better.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Pachy Pro grips on all my working wheelguns. A set of Badger grips on a Model 19 4 inch I shot in IDPA SSR. 625 with a set of Hogues in ESR for IdPA.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
For IDPA and ICORE I use a Ruger GP100 Match Champion. I like the hard wood grips that came with it. They fit my larger hands very good.
My wife uses a Smith and Wesson model 67 with rubber grips. They seam to work for her smaller hands.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood for me !

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smooth wood

No problem getting a good grip or adjusting if needed as I bring the gun up or around and I found it allowed for smoother manipulation of the gun during my reloads.

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Fancy wooden grips for show, rubber for shooting.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never liked resilient grips, and have preferred a hard material with moderate texturing or checkering. But that said, I don't think it made much difference to my scores, it was just a preference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my IDPA revolvers have cheap Hogue rubber. I don't like the finger grooves, but I put up with them to get the narrow profile and palm swell.

But where do you get "smooth rubber Hogue’s sans finger grooves", pedropcola? I can't find them on the Hogue www.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I prefer checkered wood or G10. I'm REALLY Hoping that Hogue comes out with G10 grips for the Kimber K6s DASA soon!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
A grip that fits your hand will always be the best choice

That is almost always wood or G10 because of the enormous amount of variations to choose from

Rubber grips tend to fit the mythical average hand well. Just not as well if your hand is above or below average

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot in action games, but my go-to self defense guns (Colt MKIV Combat Elite and S&W Highway Patrolman) are both equipped with Pachmayr rubber combat grips.

I have tried many different grips over the decades, but I find the Pachmayrs to suit me best.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post