Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M586 rarity Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Here are some numbers from the S&W Forum on the CS-1 revolvers produced. These were in stainless steel and 2 or 3 barrel lengths.

Numbers of 686 CS-1's produced

This is seemingly a moving goal post situation. Numbers from one source conflict with other numbers provided from very reliable sources. I will lay out what numbers have been provided. Perhaps someone with access to the US Customs Service records will reconcile these figures from the official records.

In a 2005 post the total number of 686 CS-1s, in all barrel lengths, was quoted as 7,850. This number was attributed to the factory historian Mr Roy Jinks. The poster claimed to have lettered his 3 inch CS-1.

In another 2005 post SmithNut tells us that the number of 3 inch 686 CS-1s made was 3,281 and 5,419 of the 4 inch CS-1. He goes on to say that the CS-1 configuration was quite popular and S&W made it available to other agencies as well as the public. S&W produced 3200 additional 686 CS-1s - 1600 3 inch and 1600 4 inch and released them directly into public distribution.

So not counting the 3200 "overun" guns released, there is a discrepancy of 850 between the Jinks letter number and the 8700 number.

As to surviving original "issued" CS-1s, SmithNut again provides much interesting information. Approximately 2500 686 CS-1s were released through the Sales Exchange Program before then Attorney General Janet Reno ended that program and ordered federally owned service weapons destroyed rather than sold. Additionally some 686 CS-1s were returned to the factory for service/repair and were released into distribution rather than being returned to the Customs Service.

It is an educated guess that perhaps this account for the relatively frequent appearance of 686 CS-1s bearing the 2M stamp and still having original matching boxes.

So counting the 3200 overuns and the 2500 used CS-1s sold to distributors we have a pool of approximately 5700 potential 686 CS-1's out there.

I've no idea how many 6 inch 686 CS-1s were produced for the pistol team. Perhaps a SWCA member can post some info or a picture here for us.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
That looks like a history I wrote and posted on the S&W forum.

FWIW I sold my 3 inch CS1 a couple of years back, with box and docs for $1800. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
David Lee, you keep speaking to the 686 model. The model I possess is a 586. They are two different model pistols. Or is the 686 and 586 considered the same pistol model with simply a different finish for collector purposes.

Further the box includes the information listed by both dozerd8 and colt_saa.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Very nice - congrats!

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yes they are both the same gun but of different materials. The first side arm I ever bought was a 8 3/8" 586 with adjustable front and rear sights.

If I can harkin back a bit, I actually do not know when S&W started their Limited Production models and quantities of model variants. I will recall my 4505 pistol which was made in a run of 1,200. They were all scooped up by the US Customs Service. It was a blue steel version of the S&W 4506.

16 Years passed and the Customs Service up or down graded to I believe Glock. The used 4505s came to market and, I found one in its box, near new condition. It's fair to say these were made in limited number. The 4505 is a big iron of a pistol and I had to have one. I believe I paid a shy over $650.00 for it.

Years prior, S&W ran their nation wide contest to name a Model 29 variant called Classic Hunter. IIRC and I can check via my old hand gun license, mine was Serial # AYH 1664, there were something to the tune of 2,500 made. Then came all manner of limited production 29s and 629s.

I sent my Classic Hunter to Berryville,AR. for hard chrome plating, collector value be damned as I just wanted a slick 44 magnum for NY State winter deer hunting.

To stay on topic, we seem to apply collector value on many firearms, the very minute they are no longer made, greed if you will? I have paid the market value on guns which I desired and, times it was a lot.

Over the years I've heard the term " What ever the market will bare", applied to many a fire arm. It is true and, the market could well be 1 person who just needs to have a 3" 586 in their collection. I doubt it would sell at a high price for the purpose of carry.

I don't consider this model, like many recently discontinued or limited run guns to be of such high value as it's just not antique or all that rare, someone else may. It's a great little revolver but not so different from the standard 586 to command $2,000.00 to $4,000.00.

Just be aware, what ever the market will bare. If you resell, I hope you do well OcCurt.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just be aware, what ever the market will bare. If you resell, I hope you do well OcCurt.

Thanks, appreciate that.

As to the rarity of the 3" 586 everything I have found, which I admit is very limited, mentions only 200 of this model being made. That makes it more than just a discontinued revolver.

Because there seems to be so little info out there on this model variant (and the fact that I have gotten info on other rare finds here) I put the question on this truly remarkable forum. As to the price range of $2000-$4000, again that is very limited info posted in 2010/2012 on now dead forums and accessed through archived pages. I believe those numbers are probably high (though 18DIA's sale confirms the 2K range). Should I decide to sell, as I am looking at selling a number of firearms, I was simply trying to find a true value and fair price.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your 3" 586 will ultimately be valued at, but its a fine revolver and if I'd seen one of those offered at the same time (in the 1980's) that I saw my used, but "minty" 3" Colt Python, I'd probably go with the S&W! Its got a more robust action and frankly, I prefer the DA trigger of a well honed Smith to that of my Colt any day. Still, I think I'll keep the Python, as there are plenty of crazy collectors that will give me much more than the $189.00, I originally paid for it! Smile

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I don't know what your 3" 586 will ultimately be valued at, but its a fine revolver and if I'd seen one of those offered at the same time (in the 1980's) that I saw my used, but "minty" 3" Colt Python, I'd probably go with the S&W! Its got a more robust action and frankly, I prefer the DA trigger of a well honed Smith to that of my Colt any day. Still, I think I'll keep the Python, as there are plenty of crazy collectors that will give me much more than the $189.00, I originally paid for it! Smile

you will get some good coin for that 3" Python if you get a factory letter,

there were apparently lots of fakes, (supposedly Colt sold some parts, including 3" barrels, to Sarco or Numrich at one time)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OcCurt, I can totally understand selling some firearms if necessary or just want to, but that is a revolver that you will never find again unless you have some powerball money. I'm sure you've thought about this. But when I think about the sweet guns that I have let go, and a couple were quite rare, I just get sad. That Smith 627 and both H&R M1 Garands especially.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
OcCurt, I can totally understand selling some firearms if necessary or just want to, but that is a revolver that you will never find again unless you have some powerball money. I'm sure you've thought about this. But when I think about the sweet guns that I have let go, and a couple were quite rare, I just get sad. That Smith 627 and both H&R M1 Garands especially.
I wonder if he sold it or decided to lock it away ? Oh I too know how bad it hurt to sell my HRA M1. Probably never buy another in this life.

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I wonder if he sold it or decided to lock it away ? Oh I too know how bad it hurt to sell my HRA M1. Probably never buy another in this life.

Locked it away as I learned a little bit more about it.

Sold a few others and picked up a grail gun, for me anyways-a 3” M66.

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The 3 inch pre lock 66s are another revolver that will bring some money. I just had my 3 inch 66-4, non ported RSR 1 of 551 made appraised. It is part of a batch of guns I may have my dealer move for me. He appraised it at $1850 retail. And he is a Colt guy.

The 3 inch guns, even the L-frames, and only if pre lock variants, are very desireable revolvers. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun. I currently have four 3” CS-1s and a 4” CS-1 all of which were picked up in the years following the financial crisis for good prices. Prior to that I had been looking for one for years. While some may think 2k is too much to spend, the S&W collectors are a different kind of crazy. If I were to sell a unique gun like yours, I would most likely put it up on Gunbroker and hope a bidding war started between multiple people. In the end, if I didn’t need the money, I too would have buried it back in the safe. Probably not going to find another one.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a dandy. Keep it!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
I too have 2 CS-1's, a 3 inch and a 4 inch. Also have a 3 inch -4 66. But of late 3 inch model 65's and 64's have took off. Not to mention model 65 Lady Smiths. Love those pre-lock Smiths.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post