Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M586 rarity Login/Join 
Speling Champ
posted
I have a 3" M586 that I am trying to find info on. It is a 3" barrel (rather than the standard 2 1/2" or 4") and has factory Hogue grips.

My Google-fu is weak so I ask the forum-just how rare a gun is this. I've never come across another like it.

Also what is the forum using for photo hosting so I can post some pictures.

ETA: This is not the L-Comp.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
If it is pre lock and NOT an L-comp, that is a very rare bird. And worth quite a bit too. Pictures will help determine a value. Do you have the original box? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
If it is pre lock and NOT an L-comp, that is a very rare bird. And worth quite a bit too. Pictures will help determine a value. Do you have the original box? Regards 18DAI

Both pre-lock and I have the original box.

Pictures are why I was asking about who the forum is using for hosting-I'm technologically challenged. Big Grin

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a 357 or 38? I remember there being a contract for a South American police dept for 3" 586's that specified 38 special and some of the over runs were sold in the states.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standard catalog of S&W shows a run of product number 103495 for an rsr distributors special in 1996 but does not state number made
Also product number 103567 for an in fluted cylinder version

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
using S&W 586 3" for a search on completed auctions I found nothing but L comps,

not listed in BlueBook of Gunvalues either,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pictures are why I was asking about who the forum is using for hosting-I'm technologically challenged.

There are a gazillion threads on posting photos recently.

Here is one:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...920069724#7920069724

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there were 200 of the earlier square butt guns and I'm not sure about the number of -4 round butt guns. Last time I saw a square butt 3" sell on Gunbroker it went for $1800 and that was a few years ago.

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
An obvious Frankengun. And blue? You don't want blue. I'll trade you a nice Ruger Security Six 4 inch stainless for it. You pay shipping and transfer fees of course.

Kidding, naturally. Nothing feels quite like a round butt L frame. And a 3 inch barrel? Don't know what it is, but I'd keep it. I thought I had a rare bird in a 4 inch 586-3 with a round but and Midnight matte black finish. But I'm guessing yours is something even more special. If you haven't already tried the Smith and Wesson forum I'd go there.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What a spectacular revolver!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
An obvious Frankengun. And blue? You don't want blue. I'll trade you a nice Ruger Security Six 4 inch stainless for it. You pay shipping and transfer fees of course.

Kidding, naturally. Nothing feels quite like a round butt L frame. And a 3 inch barrel? Don't know what it is, but I'd keep it. I thought I had a rare bird in a 4 inch 586-3 with a round but and Midnight matte black finish. But I'm guessing yours is something even more special. If you haven't already tried the Smith and Wesson forum I'd go there.

or maybe even get a letter from Jinks?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I recently gave up on finding a snubby 586 in blue, instead I found a 686 snubby. So a 586 like this is a great find. I'm jealous ! Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
What a spectacular revolver!

Indeed!!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
Of all the firearms I've ever owned, my 3" 586 is the one I shoulda never let go. They are rare. Mine was the same as yours. Enjoy her!

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

This might be going in the WTS/classifieds in the near future so I am also looking for a fair value. The little I have found online puts prices between 2K and 4K. That is a pretty wide spread.

In keeping with Para's rules for the lounge please don't make offers until (and if) this appears in the classifieds.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The computer printed label on the end of the box has the six digit product code (SKU) that will let you look up this configuration.

Also in 99%+ of the time it has the date of manufacture coded on it under the heading "SPEC ORD"

The major exception to that rule is when the word SPECIAL appears under the "FEATURES" heading

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a rare and desired gun configuration.Should have a product code 103495 if original box.These were made in 1994-1996 range,a couple hundred distributed by RSR and other similar guns during that time.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
IIRC, my US Customs Service 686 was 3" barrel length. A number of Members here have those revolvers.

Your 586 like its' stainless steel mate wears a Baughman front sight blade. That's a much nicer sight than the typical S&W red ramp.

This barrel length and Hogues make it a very fast wheel gun to get on target with.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmsu:
I think there were 200 of the earlier square butt guns and I'm not sure about the number of -4 round butt guns. Last time I saw a square butt 3" sell on Gunbroker it went for $1800 and that was a few years ago.

Only a sucker would pay that much for a 3" 586. It's not a $4,000.00 gun and it's not a $2,000.00 gun.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post