SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 DOUBLE ACTION ONLY
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 DOUBLE ACTION ONLY Login/Join 
posted
i have an older p220 I recently bought and it seems to be double action only and it does not have a decocker. It is not working like a double action Kellerman. You pull the hammer back and it does not stay back, but unlike the Kellerman none of the action is lightened by cocking the pistol. I am trying to find out if it is broken or missing parts or is it truly supposed to be DAO. The guy I got it from bought a decocker & spring thinking it was missing. Sig could not tell me from the serial# what it was supposed to be.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it has no decocking lever, the hammer will not stay cocked when pulled to the rear, and has a spurred or “bobbed” hammer like the ones below, then it’s double action only.

To convert to DA/SA requires a decocking assembly and DA/SA hammer.

The DAO hammers are the middle one (most common) or the fourth from the left (the bobbed version).

The DAK hammer is on the far right.
The far left hammer is the standard DA/SA version, and the second from the left is the Sport DA/SA hammer (notice the narrower single action cocking notch).

Welcome to the forum. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the info. I will be inspecting the gun further this evening and the picture should make it very clear.

posted Hide Post
Ok it is a double action only hammer. I Already have a decocker and spring. What else besides the hammer will I need? The decocker seems to be missing a pin or something because it has hole that it should pivot from but nothing sticking out of the gun to ride on.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The pin for the decocking lever to fit on is the decocking lever bearing. It goes on the inside of the frame and the pin that the lever fits onto projects to the outside. The spring then holds the lever and bearing in place.

There are videos and DVDs available that show the detail stripping of the Classic line SIGs like the P220, and are well worth the time viewing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
sigfreund beat me to the draw...again. Wink

I was uploading pictures of the Decocking Lever Bearing while he was replying.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
sigfreund beat me to the draw...again.

A picture is worth ... how many words? Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
You guys are awesome. After further inspection everything seems in order. So let me get this straight. I can replace the hammer and get a decocking lever bearing and I can use the same sear and I'll be able to go to single/double action without only those parts?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELMOO:
You guys are awesome. After further inspection everything seems in order. So let me get this straight. I can replace the hammer and get a decocking lever bearing and I can use the same sear and I'll be able to go to single/double action without only those parts?

Yes, to convert from DAO to DA/SA all you need is the proper hammer and the three decocking assembly parts.

It is sometimes advised that the sear be replaced if the hammer is, but in my opinion, that is desirable only if an existing DA/SA hammer is being replaced for some reason. In a DAO gun there is no wear on the cocking engagement surface of the sear. It can’t hurt to replace the sear if you want to, but not necessary.

Added: One caveat to all this. The oldest P220 pistols have a somewhat different hammer than the ones I’ve been referring to. I don’t believe that any had DAO triggers, but when I tried to convert an early P220 the other direction, DA/SA to DAO, I found that the DAO hammer wouldn’t work. If, however, your present hammer looks like the middle one in my photo, I don’t believe you’ll have any problems with just a new hammer and decocking assembly.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
When assembled correctly, the decocking lever looks like this:

Decocking Assy by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hammer looks exactly like the middle one pictured. Where do you suggest I buy the parts? It looks like Brownells and Midway has them. Thanks again for the information.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If Top Gun Supply has the parts in stock, I would order from them; they provide good prices and exceptionally outstanding service.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
You can only get this kind of info on SIGforum. Well done gents.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I got the parts and everything works great. I can't thank you enough for all the help.
I do one more question. I have a friend with the Kellerman style D.A.O. in a P226, will his work in same manner?

posted Hide Post
i was mistaken, he has a p229 not a p226

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a friend with the Kellerman style D.A.O. in a P226, will his work in same manner?

No, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one’s preferences Wink ) the DAK trigger system uses several parts that are different from the DA/SA mechanism. The FAQ section of Top Gun Supply lists the parts that are different and must be changed. My only comment about the TGS information is that there should be no reason to replace the DAK sear when switching to DA/SA, and most grip plates on DAK pistols like the P220 are already compatible with the decocker.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Awesome information once again. I will check out
the TGS info.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
If I don't need a new sear for the P229 DAK will need to replace the sear spring? The sear spring is also on the list of parts to be replaced on the Top Gun Supply outline.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I don't need a new sear for the P229 DAK will need to replace the sear spring? The sear spring is also on the list of parts to be replaced on the Top Gun Supply outline.

The DAK sear spring is evidently not as powerful as the ones in DA/SA pistols. I believe that’s because the single action cocking action requires more force from the spring for positive sear engagement (or something like that). I believe the DAK sear spring was lightened because it helps lighten the trigger pull slightly.

The DAK spring might work okay in a conversion to DA/SA, but the parts are not the same. Also, I’m a little leery of what might happen with a lighter spring, so I personally would install the proper one.

6.4/93.6

— Plato