SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SW MP 2.0 Compact 4.0bbl vs HK P2000. In 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SW MP 2.0 Compact 4.0bbl vs HK P2000. In 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking at both. Hard to decide. Have the p2000 in 40., da/sa. Like it lots. Want to go to 9 mm. Have a gen 1 sw MPc (12 rd mag) and like it despite rough trigger. Shoot it fairly well.

Specs on a gen 2 sw mp2.0 compact and HK p2000 are very close. Sw slightly heavier unloaded. Sw holds 2 addl Rds (15 for sw mag) and 13 for hk mag.
Anyone done a comparison or have pics from above, side by side? Anyone done a review of both? Thoughts? Opinions?

Transitioning betweem da/sa to a striker fire doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I didn't like about the P2000 and sk I owned, was the hammer bite. I have big mitts and no matter how I held it, it would always get me. It is a shame as I really liked them and they were very accurate.

As far as what to choose, that is tough.It all comes down to what you like. Both have pros and cons. Magazine cost will be higher with the HK but they should last you forever,as long as you don't dump the mags on the ground. I am not sure about the longevity of the P2000 and if they will continue to be in production like the USP. Again, it shouldn't be a problem as those guns can take a beating and come for more.I have a P30sk that I really like and have no complaints with HK in general, as they build some tough stuff. S&W makes some good firearms as well. Tough choice.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy choice, tough choice. I love my P2000. MP's are not in that category. I don't like the triggers although the 2.0 or Apex solves that. The MP certainly will have support and reasonably priced support long past the P2000. In fact, I would be surprised if the P2000 is long for this earth in the HK catalog.

That being said, I would love to buy a spare P2000 and call it a day. I think it is a better gun in every aspect other than price and parts support.

Posts: 7338 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Striker vs hammer that’s a choice.
Grip texture is a choice. I find the Smith texture awesome for shooting crappy for carry.
Aftermarket/support goes to Smith
Build quality I lean HK
USPC mags are not stupid expensive and easily available are the 2.0 compact mags readily available yet?

Are you comfortable with your current P2000? If so I say stick with that platform. No learning curve, your .40 mags will feed 9mm in an emergency, holsters should work etc.

If you have a case of iwannacoolnewgunitis go with the Smith by all accounts it’s a damn good update of a pretty good gun to begin with.

Oh an pursuant to he gun owners handbook chapter 6, subsection 6.7, line 83 I must add........

“Just get a Glock 19” Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7626 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go with the 2.0. More after market parts, more holster choices, parts/magazines are much cheaper, higher capacity, etc.

You can't go wrong with either, but from what I read in your OP, the 2.0.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37079 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I would go 2.0 I prefer a striker over DA/SA and the reset on the P2000 is just too long for my taste - I short stroked it more than I care to admit.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.0 Compact and a full size 2.0
Love both.
Is it possible to get a aftermarket 9mm barrel for your HK 40 you currently own? Change barrel and mags and you have a 9mm HK.
I did this with my M&P gen 1, bought a Storm Lake 9mm barrel and 9mm mags and use them in my M&P 40

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, ve read that a barrel exchange is possible on the HK. HK site indicates it works. Most seem successful, although a few have mentioned relibility issues with the 9mm barrel in the 40 frame. Reccommendation seems to be fine for range but maybe risky for carry.

I’m leaning towards sw because I have 2 17 rd mags that are spares for the gen1 12 rounder as well as a holster. The price is attracrive as well as the readily available parts. That being said, the HK in 40 that I have is a wonderful pistol that I choose if Icould only own one handgun.

Good dilema to have I guess. 2 excellent choices.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'd take an HK P2000/P2000sk, in any caliber, over a S&W any day...for professional work, range or personal safety.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went with the SW. The 2.0 4inch is wonderful. Trigger and overall ergonomics are excellent. I think both of these are excellent. I still carry the .40 p2000 and p2000sk.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’ve had both and while I like the P2000 the new M&P 2.0 Compact is pretty sweet. I shot mine today for the first time. Not too shabby at 10 yards...

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Dusty.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Your shooting to the left. Razz

I can make fun because well I group like that at less then one yard.....with an ice pick.... if I haven’t had any coffee that day ..... maybe.
Frown

Posts: 7626 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I’ve had both and while I like the P2000 the new M&P 2.0 Compact is pretty sweet. I shot mine today for the first time. Not too shabby at 10 yards...

Nice shooting, Dusty!

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Geez, remind me never to piss you off! Awesome shooting. This old broken down guy could never do that

Had a P2000, really liked the gun but wasn't thrilled with the mag release location. The H&K mag release locations seemed to bug my middle finger. I never had problems with the old Walthers that have the European mag release.

I have not yet handled the SW 2.0 but I found the older models were too thin and pointy in the grip and I didn't like the trigger.

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I'd take an HK P2000/P2000sk, in any caliber, over a S&W any day...for professional work, range or personal safety.

Hmm...I'll need to get you out to the range with my new 2.0 and Compact. That way you will at least be less certain. Big Grin

Dusty, Well, why don't you just go kick some ass with that pea shooter! Nice shootin'.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I tend to dislike, through previous experiences, Smith autos (3rd Gen not withstanding) but man that 2.0 M&P seems like a solid pistol. I like my DA/SA and hence love my P2000s but the 2.0 Smiths seem like a damn good gun

posted Hide Post
Finally gave up fitting VP9SK to a competitor. Changed two springs to get trigger down to about 4.5 pounds-force - springs from H&K. Found the compound recoil spring is way too stiff for anything but warm factory ammo - so can not craft better ammo. And finally, shooter has slightly smaller hands such that with all of the adjustments available could not reach trigger in an optimum way.

Felt the M&P M2.0 4.25" that I shoot in IDPA: even with the larger grips that I use, feel and finger placement were very close to working. Thinking seriously of the M&P M2.0 4" "Compact." About $200 less than H&K when one needs at least three magazines.
Advantages of M2.0 include: four grip sizes, easy sear change to Apex two-dot and trigger pull is below 4.5 pounds-force, lots of even better sights (Williams has a fiber-fully-adjustable that is a delight), recoil-spring is on a rod so not too difficult to adjust for ammo, and lots of "stuff" available to fit M&P.

H&K is off to safe in company with P320. Much better choices are available today for competition.

For carry, great choices are PPS-M2 (eats everything) LC9s Pro, G43, or even G42. Jury is still out on M2.0 Shield. Just my opinion.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My cousin has a P2000; the way it shoots for me reminds me of my USPc. Its DA/SA is okay but not great compared to a striker. The M&P9 2.0 Compact is really a nice shooter; for me the S&W is the no-brainer choice.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
the way it shoots for me reminds me of my USPc. Its DA/SA is okay but not great compared to a striker.

That’s really all it is. A product improved, slimmer USPc.

The 2.0 Smiths are very enticing. I have gone back over that past several years to DA/SA though.