SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hardest wearing dark/black finish?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardest wearing dark/black finish? Login/Join 
posted
I was hoping some of you could advise me on the toughest dark (preferably black) finish you've used. I have an old 1911 project that I need refinished, and I'd also like to apply something similar to a Ruger 10/22 that appears to have a bare aluminum receiver.

ETA: I would prefer a melonite type finish on the 1911 if someone can recommend someone for that...I realize that wouldn't apply to the aluminum receiver.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Severns Custom Hard Hat is the best of the melonite type finishes.

IMO, a melonite type finish is one of the worst for tightly fit handguns.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:

Very much agreed. This is a project I've been working off and on for 25 years based on a Colt 1991A1. It's not particularly special, other than the amount of time I've spent fiddling with it over the years. It's loose as a goose, so I figured melonite would work well for the slide and frame. The barrel and bushing are fine as-is. I just need to finish it up...been sitting on it too long. Anyway, thank you for the reference!

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Ion Bond DLC (Diamond Like Coating).

Can be done in High Polish, Satin , or Matte.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:

Interesting.

I owned my Springfield Range Officer for ~5 years before I had it refinished in Grey Guns Super Black. I figured by that time it'd be broken in well enough.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I like Black-T. Very slick finish.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Ion Bond DLC (Diamond Like Coating).

Can be done in High Polish, Satin , or Matte.

Yep. Just take a look at the current SIG barrels in DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) finish. It does live up to its name.

P210 barrel after 1000 rounds. Good as new.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rugman1
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Wilson,'ArmorTuff' I think its called.

Posts: 967 | Location: VA | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm Ruger SR1911 and whatever they are using to coat the aluminum frame is absolutely the toughest coating I have ever seen. BTW I suspect it's cerrocoat but Ruger has not stated what they are using anywhere I've tried looking. Currently I have probable 2500 rounds downrange and while cleaning it this week I gave the frame a good looking over using a visor magnifier and I still cannot see ANY indication of wear. The slide is a bit of a different story, you can see where the grooves are taking on a bit of a polish.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I've been outta pocket for a few days. Thanks for all the replies. I'm really liking the look of that barrel in Ion Bond...I think that's the direction I might be headed. Thanks again for all the replies!

I'll post some pics once I finally do finish this thing. I did it up in the style of the old Marine MEU pistol. Some of the parts are correct, like the King's commander hammer and rear sight and the Pachmayr grips. But it'll never really be close since it's a series 80 after all.