SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about Springfield 1911’s
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Springfield 1911’s Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've had a bunch of SA 1911s, none were TRPs, but all were perfectly serviceable and reliable. One or two I got for ridiculously low prices. My SIG Nitron Nickel 1911 is better and was about $1000 new. And my DW Valor is, hands down, the nicest, most accurate 1911 I've ever shot. I would put it up against any other far more expensive, boutique 1911. Never letting it go.

Posts: 3514 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
OP, good call on the TRP. I have one I bought lightly used from a member here probably... 8 years ago? Since then it's been shot and carried a whole lot. Fantastic, accurate, reliable pistol. I put a Storm Lake threaded barrel in mine to attach an Osprey 45... paintball gun quiet, but I've had to play with different recoil springs and magazines to make it run both ways. Definitely not the gun's fault.

I'll reinforce the two main complaints here: the cheese grater 20 LPI front strap checkering is somewhat less than pleasant, and the full-length guide rod is a PITA.

I personally love the sights it comes with, although mine are getting quite dim. Probably about time for a trip back to the factory.

Enjoy your TRP, and post pics.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have a SA 1911 TRP, great gun. I bought it lightly used and had one problem. The ejector was held in place by adhesive, not pinned. The adhesive gave way and jammed the slide. I contacted SA and sent it in for repair (I had the ejector pinned) and some tuning. Good service from SA and the gun is 100% reliable.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a bad Springfield Armory 1911. Had a stainless Loaded model which got a perfect trigger tune and beavertail grip safety added. My cast 200 gn. H&G style bevel base target loads would chew the X out at 50 feet. Never a issue with the gun. Very well made 1911.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an Elite Operator 10mm in December.
Almost great gun. SA customer service not so great.
Sent back 4 times.
Loose front sight out of the box.
Sent to SA. Returned with a new loose front sight.
Sent to SA. Returned with a pinned front sight, finish ground off inside slide.
Sent to SA. Returned refinished. Sight pin protruding, could not install bushing.
Sent to SA. Was supposed to replace slide, only set pin and refused to admit problem.
Won’t buy another SA.

Recently bought Sig P210. Absolutely love it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the opinions again... my TRP is on the FED EX truck and should be here in a few hours. This is the first gun I’ve really been excited about in a while. I’ll post pics soon.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I bet you'll like it. The front strap checkering feels abusive until you actually shoot it a few times. I really like it now. Gun certainly isn't slipping in your hand.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A Springfield was the second non-Colt I bought and it was nice. I got the loaded parkerized and added a short trigger, arched mainspring housing, and a GI guide rod assembly. It's shoots GREAT and is very accurate.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^^ Beautiful gun Sir.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TRP is a best buy in the 1911 world. Feature rich, I have not seen one that doesn't run. I even carried one for duty use for many years, only switching to a SACS version of nearly the same gun.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well here she is! A quick trip to the range yielded these result... 50 rounds at 10 yards. Not to bad, have I mentioned this is my first 1911? I’m impressed so far except for the one piece guide rod. I’m sitting here cleaning it and that has GOT to go.

posted Hide Post

Springfield GI 45.
Professionally 'smithed to replicate USGI WW-II .45...complete with USGI Colt Wide Ring WW-II Grips.
Project worked out very nicely, and all aftermarket parts fit perfectly. It's a tribute to how closely Springfield Follows the 1911 build specs. O got an older M1A Supermatch that lost its' 2 stage trigger thru the years. SA fixed it under its' lifetime warranty, sent me all the original manuals, and even several discount coupons as if I were the original owner.
Would NOT hesitate to buy their products.
BUT recent CCW purchases have been S&W and H&K...which were more to my needs.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The FLGR is an easy fix. Just need a Government size guide rod and plug. Brownell's has several options to choose from that don't cost much. I MIGHT even have a plug and rod in my box of spare parts. I'll look when I get home tonight if you like. No promises on the rod. About 90% sure I've got a spare plug.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Copaup ... I really appreciate the offer, but I bought a Dawson Precision guide rod that takes care of the issue supposedly. We’ll see. Love the gun though!!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats, dry-fly, on the 1911 - looks great!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I really like its rear sight. Too many a 1911 out there with a Novak looking fixed sight. Also I didnt know the TRP did not have a barrel bushing. This too is a nice feature. Being as its your first 1911, learn to use that thumb safety like a pro. Dont ever holster with it off. I know you wont. I just recall Hicock45 holstering a Sig a few times fully cocked. Then draw and fire. Nice pistol. Enjoy.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Been eyeing the full rail version for a while.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Than you David for the pointers and everyone again for the kudos!

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Lee:
Too many a 1911 out there with a Novak looking fixed sight. Also I didnt know the TRP did not have a barrel bushing.
[QUOTE]
Some do and some don't. My TRP has Novak style sights and it does have a barrel bushing.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post