SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about Springfield 1911’s
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Springfield 1911’s Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Are they quality, reliable stuff? I know we’re not talking DW fit and finish, but the TRP and Marine Operator models I’m looking at are a good chunk of cash less and are peaking my interest.

Thanks as always

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They seem to be a respected 'standard' of sorts in the non-custom 1911 world, against which others are judged against.

I strongly considered buying one, but since my desire was for a GI-ish 1911 and Colt was running a sale that put it only $100 more than a comparable SA 1911, I went with an O1991 model Colt.

I'm sure I'd be just as happy with an SA Milspec, however.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1911 experience has been poor, to say the least. Over the years, I've owned 6. 4 went back to the factory at some point. A Kimber went back twice.

The two that didn't? An STI Trojan 1911 9mm and a SA TRP 1911 .45.

The SA TRP is a bank vault. I don't think there's a better factory 1911 out there. Mine never malfunctioned in 1000 rounds with various magazines and loads, and the accuracy was SUPERLATIVE. A better shooter than me could probably crank out 1.5-2.5" groups at 25 yards on demand with good loads. Safety would snick on and off with a click, like it should, and the gun itself was flawlessly constructed. No play between the barrel and slide or the slide and frame. Fit was flawless. The SA TRP was leagues beyond the other 4 factory 1911s I mentioned and I regret selling it.

My only complaints are very minor: The front strap is checkered at 20LPI and it was a tad sharp; the full-length guide rod is a pain in the a$$ during cleaning, but easy to replace; and I'm not a fan of the Novak Lo-Mount night sights because of the sloped design of the rear sight for one-hand reloads. Other than those minor things, the TRP is the finest factory 1911 I've ever shot, and probably the most accurate pistol overall I've ever shot.

Buy with confidence.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Springfields from the G. I. to the Range Officer. When I bought my Range Officer, it shot so well that I sold my Kimbers, including a Warrior model. The fit and finish on it was not bad at all. The R. O. was my work gun for 6 years or so until I bought a Colt Competition Model that shot just a touch better. Every TRP that I have seen is top shelf and I have always wanted a railed model. But then I retired from LE and my full-time retirement job makes us carry Glocks. I keep saving for one anyway but always run across something else that I can live without. I have looked at several of the new Range Officer models and they are really nice pistols too. Lots of match parts on them.

My only bitch about the R. O. was the damn rear sight. I cannot tell you how many times it whacked my funny bone and put my arm to sleep.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank y’all for the input..

posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield Loaded and love it....more accurate than I am, and it hasn't jammed yet.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 Milspecs that were perfectly fine, serviceable handguns. I sold one to a friend and my brother currently has the other. I had a Loaded that was nice, but was probably a bit overpriced for what it was. I currently have a TRP which is probably the best gun I've ever owned. It's not the prettiest or finest fit and finished (my Valor owns that spot), but it is rock solid, bank vault tight, and shoots like the bullets are laser guided. It's not a CHEAP gun, but its a hell of a value when you consider how much more you have to pay to get anything appreciably better.

Only things I changed on my TRP were the grips (the VZ clones it came with weren't grippy enough and felt strange with that cheese grater checkering) and the FLGR had to go.

It's one of the few guns that I've added to the "Never Sell or Trade" list.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like them.

I have an SA Mil-Spec that I purchased new about three years ago. It has hiccuped once on the range (incurred a stoppage that was immediately cleared) in over 3300 rounds through it so far. I like its “basic” look and feel.

This same pistol’s front sight worked itself loose in its first 500 rounds or so - sent the slide back to SA and it had it back in my hands fully repaired in under two weeks, so kudos to SA’s customer service.

I’m working with a new-to-me Loaded model that the previous owner reportedly put about 400 rounds through. I recently completed its maiden range voyage in my hands with 300+ rounds. Zero issues, lots of grins, and lots of successful Mozambique Drills at 10 yards. This particular pistol seems to be quite well-fitted.

Now awaiting the arrival of yet another SA 1911, this one a 2000-era early Gunsite Service Pistol before (I believe) Colt 1911s were branded as such. I’m looking forward to it.

I also own a Baer Thunder Ranch Special. My SA’s are clearly not at that same level of craftsmanship; they do just fine themselves just the same.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good guys, you’ve just about pushed me over the edge...

posted Hide Post
For the money go with a Colt Competition. You can buy them either blued or S/S for around $850 new. The fit and finish on them is really really good. I bought a 9mm one, and the slide to frame fit and the barrel bushing fit rival my Wilson Combat. The finish on the gun is awesome and it's a great shooter. The grip safety has a little side to side play and the trigger has some play, but breaks clean with no takeup at about 5lbs.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Look into the Professional model. Amazing pistols.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I don’t doubt it! Too much money at this time

quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Look into the Professional model. Amazing pistols.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure the model, but my brother in law has a pretty basic model that's been 100% reliable. Blued with some red wood grips.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15313 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks again fellas. Once again the SF drains my wallet.... pics ina couple of days

Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
I have an early Springfield mil-spec, (late 80s/early 90s manufacture). Currently has over 40,000 rounds and never missed a beat.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Eek

quote:
Originally posted by crash:
I have an early Springfield mil-spec, (late 80s/early 90s manufacture). Currently has over 40,000 rounds and never missed a beat.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Thanks again fellas. Once again the SF drains my wallet.... pics ina couple of days

Congratulations. I think you will like it.

I had a mil spec, the magazines that came with it were crap but that's a problem easily solved. I got it, was going to make a project gun out of it, then decided to sell it because I was better off money-wise buying something with the upgrades already done. Never got back around to that already upgraded 1911.

I have the original EMPs in 9 and .40 both of which have served me well.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the TRP as well! I love mine!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have a loaded MC Operator (45 ACP), an RO Elite in 9mm, and a 10mm TRP. All have performed flawlessly.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post