SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning High Power Ends Production
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning High Power Ends Production Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still my favorite 9mm.

Posts: 413 | Registered: July 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Prices just jumped 25%

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
My brother had a 9mm Capitan model with the tangent rear sight that was a very good shooter and I had a .40 HP for a short time that shot pretty well, but he sold his and I sold mine long ago. It is a venerable classic no doubt, but with the function and features of more modern pistol designs these days, I can understand Browning's decision to discontinue it.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in elementary school, I would go to the local gun store just to stare at the Browning Hi Power they had. Was set to buy one for my first gun when I hit 21 but bought a Browning BDA in 45acp (still have it and the original box). Second gun was a SW K-22 and then I found my Belgium Browning Hi Power.

Brand new and simply beautiful. Cleaned it up and took it to the range … would not feed anything. Kept running some rounds through it and it improved. Round count got up to about 200 and I sent it to Austin Behlert. New trigger, new safety, lowered Bo-Mar sights and removed the mag safety. Simply an amazing handgun.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

What model is the glock and sig in this picture? thks

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
BHP sure is pretty, but it's never been a pistol I particularly cared for.

There are many things I do not like about it. I should probably have one, just because it's sort of an essential pistol to have in a collection, isn't it?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Thread from last year:
The End Of The BHP

quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
My brother had a 9mm Capitan model with the tangent rear sight that was a very good shooter and I had a .40 HP for a short time that shot pretty well, but he sold his and I sold mine long ago. It is a venerable classic no doubt, but with the function and features of more modern pistol designs these days, I can understand Browning's decision to discontinue it.

The first BHP I ever shot had a rear tangent sight...I've dreamed of owning a nice example of an El Capitan for decades now.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat sad to see it go, but can understand, since its being outclassed by all the other modern offerings available today. I always found the Hi Power difficult to rack with the hammer down, especially if my hands ware wet, or sweaty. With it being not as popular, the sales number probably don't justify keeping it in production.

Reading Stephan A. Camp's Range Reports on them is what made me buy my first and second one (sold the second to a forum member here). My first one was send off to Yost Bonitz (when they were still working together) for a C&S hammer and sear job, resulting in a very nice trigger. I'll probably keep that one forever.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a note about non-Belgian HPs: India made and sold a few HP in US some years ago. Put side-by-side with Canada-made HP and one can conclude that Canada sold production tools to India.

Outside of Indian HP is "simple" and sights are part of slide, but it shoots like a HP. HP is an interesting bridge between 1911 and "modern" pistols.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The sexiest pistol ever made.... But I got hammer bite bad from it. I did bubba up a hammer on one of mine with a dremel, and never got around to fixing it up right. Always wanted a custom job BHP but realized I'd never spend the money to get it done so I sold them.

But despite the bite I loved the ergos and the lines and the way it shot, very accurate.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I do like the one that I have (and the FEG clone as well), but sadly I'm not really that surprised to see it finally go. They seldom sell quickly when we brought them in, and FN has been brutally lacking when it comes to recent development and promotion of the product.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Considering how their poly pistols seem to sell, maybe a "next-gen" Hi Power would make sense for FN if the pistol worked well and was reasonably affordable to make.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
Tisas of Turkey has been making a Hi-Power copy for many years.

Yes, but they have never been imported into the USA until Jan. 2018 as far as I know. None of the Stainless models have arrived yet, but soon.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Guess i'm lucky, I just put down payment on one 2 weeks ago, before the "Official Announcement".

Was mulling whether it was worth the $$$, always wanted one, it was brand new with a decent trigger.

Anyhow, should have it paid off in a month.

Glad I bought it!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cremaley
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of my all time favorite guns. Sorry to see it go.

Sig P320 X-Compact 9mm
Bul SAS 11 UL 9mm
US Army Veteran
NRA Member

"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Posts: 152 | Location: Alpharetta, Georgia. | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious to know how much inventory Nighthawk stocked up on before the plug was pulled.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite ones too and sad to hear it no longer in production at FN. Bought a nice "C" series in 1979 and had to sell it a few yrs later to pay for some college related bills. Finally got around to buying another in 1992 (a MK III") and still have it. Since then a few more accompany that one at my residence including a FN HPDA and some FEGs.
I had always wished for FN to make an all-stainless steel High Power and also a more compact version along the lines of the "FM" out of Argentina.

Posts: 2006 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been eyeballing the Nighthawk Hi Power. May have to jump in.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post