SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought a twin to me P6...or I thought I did
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a twin to me P6...or I thought I did Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Slide marked 12/83, in my haste I said, “always wanted one made the year I was born”, think twice when making late night purchases on the couch Smile

Am I mistaken that this date on right side of the slide means that is when the slide and frame were proofed and not necessarily put together? Even being proofed in 1983 this pistol was still born then in my opinion.

No worries either way, shows 37 years of wear and I’m leaning towards NOT sending it to CCR.

As for the hollow point feed problem, it’s never gonna be a carry weapon so as long as it feeds FMJ I’m good with it. Kinda like the fact that is comes with problems. After all, I bought it to be my reminder that shit takes dings and still has good value.

Maybe I put some Nills on its dinged up frame like lipstick on a pig Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Top of this sub-forum there’s a serial # thread. All you have to do is look up where your P6 falls in the # range to determine when it was manufactured.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Top of this sub-forum there’s a serial # thread. All you have to do is look up where your P6 falls in the # range to determine when it was manufactured.

Eah, still trying to get date code from current owner.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky, I’ve always wanted one dated 9/81 for the same reason. A member here does have one that I’ve seen pictures of, can’t remember who it is though.

I would leave it as is for the reasons you stated, it will be a range toy more than likely.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
That's a nice pistol, you could totally just keep the original finish and have a nice shooter.

I actually have a P6 from my month and year of birth too, I was just lucky years ago when P6's were going for around $300 dollars I had a choice between a few of them and noticed my birth month/year on one of them

you'll probably want 1 of these (parts kit including the roll pins to be replaced every so often (check armorers section etc)

https://www.sigsauer.com/store...ts-kit-p225-9mm.html

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pistol in such good condition from my view would be totally senseless to refinish. Until a blued gun can be mistaken for stainless it is not getting refinished ( and by the time it gets that worn is probably not worth it anyway)
Refinishing guns is 100% a loser. It never adds value to a gun, costs money and in some cases with collectibles can drastically reduce value. It looks like a fine gun to use at the range or carry.
You’re just going to put more wear on it anyway.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely leaning that way.

I wont be getting rid of any pistol I refinish so value isn't of concern to me. I'll be replacing the sights, and likely the grips and likely a parts kit but otherwise I'm HOPING this proves to be a good platform for my wife to learn the basics of shooting.

DA/SA difference, smaller frame, minimal recoil, I think she will enjoy it.

posted Hide Post
Maybe not mint but for a former LEO weapon finish doesn't look bad at all. As for mechanicals it's probably in excellent shape knowing the Germans attention to detail. Like the P-225 would make for an excellent concealable carry weapon.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the hollow point feed problem, it’s never gonna be a carry weapon so as long as it feeds FMJ I’m good with it...

I'd try a couple boxes of hollow points before I condemned it for that purpose. Mine gobbles up hollow points with never a hickup.

If nothing else, it'll be an excuse for a range trip. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Now you do realize once you get some Nills, you will wonder what took you so long. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Still a great find. It's first ding shouldn't bother you as much. Wink

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post