SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .22LR Conversion Units
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR Conversion Units Login/Join 
Picture of FPrice
posted
Who makes the best .22lr conversion units for Sig pistols? In particular the P220 and P229.

Also, will a P229 .22lr conversion also fit the P228?

Thanks.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai

Posts: 168 | Location: The People's Commonwealth | Registered: March 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.osagecountyguns.com...sig-sauer/22-lr.html

Happy with mine works well. Out of stock at present. TGS may have them as well

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AFAIK Sig makes the only conversion units. I have several run and they fine with minimags.
There are two for the 229 and yes the non rail one should fit a 228.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FPrice
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Buckaroo Banzai

Posts: 168 | Location: The People's Commonwealth | Registered: March 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FPrice:
I appreciate the advice, thank you.

One more data point. I had light strike issues when I first got mine. Second trigger pull always solved it. After 300-400 rounds it went away, not sure why, but it works 99% of the time now. Mine is 226, not 229/8.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
AFAIK Sig makes the only conversion units.

Hmm. Well, maybe not.

This appears to be a prototype P226 .22lr conversion made by the Italian firm of Pietta. I have never seen another like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MG34_Dan,

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig .22 conversion for my P226. Conversions for any gun are finicky. Still worth owning one though. I had to do a little tuning/polishing on mine, especially the extractor. Also, be aware of the fact that there will be ignition issues if used with RP mainsprings, especially 18# or lower. Factory is fine, 19# depends on the gun.

The following is a post I originally did on April 19, 2017. Link to full thread is
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...140069224#1140069224

Rules for .22 LR conversion units:

1) Start with CCI MiniMag HV ammo. The gold standard. Usually, if a gun doesn't run with MiniMags, there is a problem other than ammo selection. Then, after break-in, try other ammo. You might get lucky with some less expensive stuff.

2) Most units require a break-in period. Don't pass out if you have some malfunctions during your first one or two range trips.

3) Clean, inspect and lube after EVERY range session. The .22 is a low powered round with very little margin for error. If the slide is slowed due to grunge, you'll have problems. Do NOT use grease on the rails.

4) If having problems after the above, inspect every contact part of the slide for burrs or irregularities. Or, before you use the unit.

Conversions are generally less reliable than dedicated .22's. This is due to the design restraints. The frame is designed for a centerfire and the conversion slide must be designed to operate within those parameters.

Regardless, I'm a firm believer in the value of at least one conversion unit. They're fun and a good training aid.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Yea I know this is an ancient thread. But I thought everyone should know that I'm going to revive this Italian conversion and place it onto it's own lower receiver. It may take some time, but I'll get 'er done. This project will clean my mind of the search for a Hensoldt BLITS manual.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Speaking of ancient, Here is my P220 in 22lr:

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Y'all got my hopes up. I've been wishing for SIG to start selling them again for a while.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A quick surf tonight brings up a "P229 22LR Police Trade-in Conversion Kit" for $169.

https://sigsauerusafirearms.co...e-in-conversion-kit/

It's mighty tempting, but internal skepticism says, "Hey, I've never seen that particular web site before... legit?"

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts:

I have a 22lr P229 railed conversion kit. It works on my P229 and my (unrailed) P228. You have to jiggle it a little to get the slide on the P228. It works perfectly.

Taylor Tactical offers upgrades for the mags. Their follower is better than original, and it locks back the slide after the last shot -- but it does not lock the slide back all the way.

The message above lists sigsauerusafirearms.com as a source of conversion kits. In fact, those people seem to have everything I ever thought of "in stock." I cannot find any reviews of this site. I would not order from them.

Posts: 39 | Location: Center of U.S.A. | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents, I was very suprised that the site had the conversion kits I wanted listed in stock when I haven't seen them in my usual reputable sites in years. I'm going to hold out for TGS to get them.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Those of you with a 220 conversion. Does it bulge the fired 22 case in front of the rim? Mine does just like it has an unsupported chamber where the ramp is cut too deep. I shelved the conversion after Sig poo-pooed the problem and refused to do anything about it. The bulge down into the ramp cut is significant.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FPrice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IBM360:
A couple of thoughts:

I have a 22lr P229 railed conversion kit. It works on my P229 and my (unrailed) P228. You have to jiggle it a little to get the slide on the P228. It works perfectly.

Taylor Tactical offers upgrades for the mags. Their follower is better than original, and it locks back the slide after the last shot -- but it does not lock the slide back all the way.

The message above lists sigsauerusafirearms.com as a source of conversion kits. In fact, those people seem to have everything I ever thought of "in stock." I cannot find any reviews of this site. I would not order from them.

It seems to me that this website was discussed in another thread and was found to be, problematical, for lack of a better word. No real contact information other than an email?

If I can find that particular thread I'll post a link to it.

Buckaroo Banzai

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I bought a 22 conversion kit for one of my sigs. But I got to thinking, why? I already had a 22 pistol. I don't think any savings in using 22 vs 9 mm in the sig would offset the cost of buying the conversion kit. I sold mine in this forum to get some of my money out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Rey, here's one answer to your question. My wife and I took a pistol class from OpSpec. My wife has arthritis in her hands, can't rack a regular P226 slide. But she can rack the .22 conversion; she used the conversion for the class. Could have used a revolver which we have but she preferred the .22.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Rey, here's one answer to your question. My wife and I took a pistol class from OpSpec. My wife has arthritis in her hands, can't rack a regular P226 slide. But she can rack the .22 conversion; she used the conversion for the class. Could have used a revolver which we have but she preferred the .22.

I’m just asking to understand: so on normal situations, you would rack the slide for her on the P226 that she’ll carry? And I’m not being a smart ass, I’m the one who preps my wife’s gun and she still has the P225.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Decades ago, when I was looking to buy my first 9mm pistol, SIG offered the SIG P210 with an optional .22LR kit. Wish that I’d bought it instead of the S&W Model 39, but at that time I thought DA-SA was better than SAO. I’m now a SAO guy.

The S&W is now a safe queen, but I’d still be shooting the P210, and wouldn’t’ve needed to buy my P226 X5 and Beretta 87 Target.

ETA – It was 1968, or close, that I was looking at the convertible P210.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Nice. We have one too and fun to shoot and terrific when you want to practice 22LR on a quality DA/SA pistol. Great for practicing DA only or DA to SA transition.

Posts: 9741 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post