Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low and Left Login/Join 
posted
Took my newly acquired P229 to the range this A.M. Shot two full magazines at 5 yards.
Pistol is grouping 7" low and 3" left.
Noticed finish wear on both sides of slot at bottom of hammer.
Called Sig. C.S. Rep says wear in slot is normal. He also suggested that low and left is caused by operator error of right handed person using second joint of trigger finger, instead of finger pad. I have to agree and will try straight back pull with finger pad, next time out.
Dunno about hammer slot wear..what say you?

Posts: 15 | Location: Katy/Del Rio Texas | Registered: July 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I had the same low/left problem for a long time. I was flinching as the trigger broke causing the muzzle to dip ever so slightly throwing all of my shots.
A lot of dry fire practice and loading my mags with a dummy round or snap cap here and there cured me of it.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot with two hands strong hand on the trigger. Fire 10 rounds and notice the group.

Shoot with your strong hand only, 10 rounds, notice the group.

Shoot two hands, weak hand on the trigger, notice the group, then shoot weak hand only and notice the group.

What do you see?

If the group for your strong hand is low and left and grows low and left, especially with one hand, you're flinching and curling your wrist, and not drawing the trigger straight aft. Focus on following through each shot.

If the problem disappears with your weak hand, it confirms the first observations.

The pistol shoots low and left under all conditions, you need to adjust your sights.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sort of correct. The low left for a right handed shooter is a clear cut pre-ignition push that goes on slightly before ignition. And it is a pretty common demon that people fight with. The “second digit” thing is BS. The amount of finger necessary to pull the trigger straight back is driven by hand size and pistol size. It’s about leverage and not position. I can shoot tight groups using only the tip of my finger, and I can shoot tight groups with my finger ran all the way in to the knuckle. And all points in between. As long as I pull the trigger straight back and put no inputs into the gun until after the hammer or striker falls.

Have a friend shoot it. And as always make sure the sights are tight and centered in the dove tails.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The “second digit” thing is BS. The amount of finger necessary to pull the trigger straight back is driven by hand size and pistol size. It’s about leverage and not position.

That's been my experience also. When I first began battling this problem I tried moving my trigger finger all over the place but my low/left group never budged. I was fortunate to have had a bad primer one day when I was paying attention and when the gun went click instead of bang I saw my front sight dive.
I have since "unflinched" myself. Cool

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anything mechanically wrong that would possibly account for 7" low at 5 yards.

That is pure flinch/anticipation, perhaps with a looking over sights to see the hole. All user error. Train yourself to get used to blast and concussion, double up ear pro, and shoot outdoors. Don't let yourself look at the target until you've shot 5 rounds. Live fire is the best way to work on a flinch, but if the DA pull is giving you problems, dry fire won't hurt.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dummy rounds will help fix that issue. I think you may be squeezing the grip with your entire right hand. Then add the anticipation and it makes sense. Force yourself to stick to follow through as well.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What sight picture are you using? I doubt your sight picture is your whole problem, but may very well contribute to your groups being low.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are you familiar with The Shooter’s Wheel? This may help you to diagnose the issue:

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
This easy to do drill at the range will show if you are anticipating/flinching.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are you familiar with The Shooter’s Wheel? This may help you to diagnose the issue:

This needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

This target was designed for one-handed, slow-fire, bullseye shooting.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

This needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

This target was designed for one-handed, slow-fire, bullseye shooting.

It just needs to go away. This one is much better, except change watch videos to take a class.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Stolen. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst
It just needs to go away. This one is much better, except change watch videos to take a class.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
This easy to do drill at the range will show if you are anticipating/flinching.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NxyTFzgWjhk?rel=0" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This is a great one, particularly at speed.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So one "Circle" indicates jerking and another indicates flinching.
Who the hell can get ANYTHING out of that??
Additionally, no one has commented on the wear at bottom of hammer slot after 25 rounds. Is it normal or not?

Posts: 15 | Location: Katy/Del Rio Texas | Registered: July 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Satan:
So one "Circle" indicates jerking and another indicates flinching.
Who the hell can get ANYTHING out of that??
Additionally, no one has commented on the wear at bottom of hammer slot after 25 rounds. Is it normal or not?

Jeez, a guy tries to be helpful and that’s your attitude?

Piss off then. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I mean you've been a member for 6 years and only posted 11 times? Kinda odd to be rather demanding, it's not like you've contributed much to helping anyone here, why are you so entitled to answers?

But, I'll try a third time to be helpful.

It's almost impossible for us to truly diagnose what your problem is over the internet. Even in person it's hard because we can't see through your eyes. A super-high speed camera would help, but those are expensive. Have an RSO or known good shooter try your pistol. If it shoots fine for them, go invest in a class from a reputable instructor in your area.

As for your hammer wear, I'm not really sure what exact area you're talking about. Pics help. But based on your description, I think you mean the part under the hammer spur, that is visible when the pistol is decocked. Although none of my SIGs show any wear there, I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you felt the DA pull was extra hard or gritty.

posted Hide Post
The reason for low post count is simple. I have not had a problem with the Sig pistol I owned (P6) I am not trying to run my post count up if I have nothing to offer.
The P6 was stolen from my truck a couple months ago and the P229 is it's replacement.
The 229 does have an unusually high DA pull and that might be the root cause of my down/left issue.
As indicated in my original post, the wear area is on both sides of the slot beneath the hammer spur.
See picture attached. [IMG:top]

posted Hide Post
That doesn't look like wear, it looks like grease.

Edit: get a Q-tip and clean the area and take another picture.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Chryst...Sir, You are correct.
Pictured is the Q-Tip and cleaned slot.
My fingers are too damn big to stick in the slot and the grease looked silver, as in worn, sintered metal.
Good as new!..Many thanks! [IMG:top] [/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Satan,