SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tomorrow all semi-automatic pistols disappear from the face of the Earth. What’s your replacement?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomorrow all semi-automatic pistols disappear from the face of the Earth. What’s your replacement? Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
If I had to make the switch tomorrow, I'd probably carry the 627 PC I own but would order a 327 PC since it's quite a bit lighter.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got them already; new release Colt King Cobra with a 3" and S&W Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel in .357. And one of the 1990's production Colt Detective Specials.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine works as a stock broker. Over the weekend, he relayed the story of some new customer placing a huge “BUY” order for Ruger shares on Friday morning. He said the customer’s last name was Jones.

Something smells fishy here.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
If FORCED to choose a new production revolver, I'd choose a 3 inch GP100 or a 3 inch Colt.

But I still have my 3 inch pre lock 66-4. So I would just start carrying it instead. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
GP-100 in .38 and .357. Probably need to get a j frame Smith for ccw.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Ruger GP100 3" in 10mm.

My choice as well, and I already have it, along with 10 TKCustom moon clips.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You are in need of a replacement. Something Glock 19 sized but not a semi-automatic. There are only so many older Smith 66s.

What would you purchase today as a compact sized carry gun if semi-automatic pistols no longer existed?

Since this is a ridiculous hypothetical scenario, my answer will be as equally outlandish - The G18. About G19 size and not semi-auto. Big Grin

^^ for the win,

although, I had my hands on a Browning Hi Power years ago that was converted to Full auto, and had a stock,

that would be my option,,,

and it was not semi at all, as in full auto , no selector

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the crap going on in the world, I desperately needed a fun thread that would put a smile on my face. Smile Thanks Jones.

Two revolvers I've owned for years: (1) S&W M36 3" HB .38 Spl (2) Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag. Why?

1. I've always shot them well. World of difference between 2" and 3". Point better better and have better applied accuracy than 2". I'm too old to carry M19's like I did in the seventies.

2) Both dehorned. Very nice actions. Easily carried.

3) Both Magna-Ported. No abnormal muzzle flash with premium SD loads due to flash retardant powders. Muzzle rise is half the distance of non ported. No, they don't blow s--t into my face as long as the gun isn't held close to my face.

4) Could carry both at same time if I wanted. Weights loaded are 27 Oz and 32 Oz.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Honestly As fast as you could operate a mag fed "semi auto" if you had a lock back each shot and used the slide release to return to battery that I imagine a "single shot" mag fed option could be designed fairly easily with a more ergonomic mechanism to return to battery "button" allowing for a mag fed near semi auto.

But I am happy with my revolvers for this mental exercise. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Honestly As fast as you could operate a mag fed "semi auto" if you had a lock back each shot and used the slide release to return to battery that I imagine a "single shot" mag fed option could be designed fairly easily with a more ergonomic mechanism for a return to battery "button" allowing for a mag fed near semi auto.

But I am happy with my revolvers for this mental exercise. Big Grin

SORRY, I didn't mean to quote myself. Meant to edit.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I knew there would be dudes that try to game the system with gizmos and whatnot. To try to skirt the revolver idea.

But, if you straight ask "What revolver would you pick today" it turns into a juvenile pissing contest for what they like best. If you hide the question inside of a hypothetical, you seem to have better answers minus the "I'm-going-to-figure-out-how-to-answer-without-saying-revolver" revolver.

It's really nice that people still think Smith and Wesson has a standing in the market.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's really nice that people still think Smith and Wesson has a standing in the market.

Honestly I cannot imagine going wrong with a Smith or Ruger revolver barring the crappy ones that sneak out of either company.

The lock sucks, but mostly aesthetically. (Yes I know it can fail catastrophically but so can any number of other small fine parts in a revolver and Yes I would prefer not to have it.)

All in all I have been very happy with my newer Smith Revolvers.

posted Hide Post
I already carry S&W revolvers pretty regularly. The 60 Pro is my hiking companion for long treks. The 686+ I often take on long car trips or just carry around town. I had S&W do a Combat Revolver Package on it, really a great gun. I’ve got a no dash 686 4” too but don’t carry it.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3" Korth National Standard.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 123 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Strictly for carry, I would use a Colt Detective Special, 1950s-60s. Not too difficult to find.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add my S&W 640-1 pre lock and 642 to go with the K-Comp.

As for all those of you out there looking at this hypothetical - here in CA it’s not do hypothetical. On our list Of certified guns only adds revolvers now and semi autos keep falling off. Eventually it will only be revolvers... And remember where CA and NY go - the rest of the nation may follow..

Sorry for the rant

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Why are only revolvers added to the list? I thought as long as the company paid the extortion and it had the right features (LCI, 10 round mag etc) it was good to go???

It looks like there were shield models added in 2020?

Not that I am saying YAY YOU GET A 7 SHOT SEMI AUTO WAHOOO. Just saying that it appears that you can still have semi autos added to the registry.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
360 PD, 327, perhaps a 329 would work, the 986 Performance Center could be choice since it's 9mm..

COme to think of it, all those and some more...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They make other guns besides Glocks? Hmm...

I guess a Ruger SP101.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Why are only revolvers added to the list? I thought as long as the company paid the extortion and it had the right features (LCI, 10 round mag etc) it was good to go???

It looks like there were shield models added in 2020?

Not that I am saying YAY YOU GET A 7 SHOT SEMI AUTO WAHOOO. Just saying that it appears that you can still have semi autos added to the registry.

My apologies for jjones...I don't want to hijack the thread...so I'll try to answer it here...

Our state legislators passed a law requiring all new semi-auto pistols to be able to do micro stamping on two portions of the spent casing as it's fired. (Usually within the chamber and the firing pin.). NO firearms manufacturers are developing new pistols with this due to problems with the system. As a result, no new semi-auto pistols have been added since 2015-ish. Any new ones on there are generally renewed older models. This is why we don't have Glock Gen4-5, newer Sigs (P320/P365) and S&W 2.0's. Revolvers get a pass...so there is that.

Law Enforcement can buy "off-roster", and many can sell them on the second hand market. Also, those who move here with them can sell them second hand (I think...but I can't even keep track of the laws effectively anymore...) So the second hand market is alive and well. My agency is listed with the Penal Code as not allowed to sell to anyone who isn't LE. Eventually I think it will be that way for all LE...you can buy it, but can't sell it in state, or only to Law Enforcement - which seems fair...but sucks. That may motivate people to get more politically active and push the state to make some compromises. Right now, it's vast majority blue here in CA and so there is no voice for anyone, conservative gun owner, etc... my apologies for the rant...just trying to warn others what their future looks like if they vote without considering the candidate's position on gun rights...

So, it's a hot mess....

That being said, if they told me tomorrow I had to get by with just revolvers...I'd be OK...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post