SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver loading question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver loading question Login/Join 
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted
I'm not a revolver guy, but I recently acquired a Smith 36 snub. I know you're not supposed to flick the cylinder closed with one hand, but I've heard some people say that I should close the cylinder by pressing on the crane instead of the cylinder itself? Is that a thing? It seems more difficult to operate that way under stress, and at times I can pinch my thumb in the gap that way.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned multiple S&W revolvers for more years than I care to admit to, and have never closed my revolvers by pushing on the crane only. These revolvers are pretty tough, and not apt to be damaged by closing them via the cylinder itself. Slaming the cylinder closed is not a good idea, or closing it one handed by "flicking" the handgun is only for the movies!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Definitely do not snap the cylinder open and closed like you sometimes see in the movies because you risk bending the crane. Beyond that, I do not see a problem.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check out this video... it will answer most of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspksqvtO3k

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Revolver guy here. I've never closed the cylinder on a revolver by pressing on the crane. I always close by pressing on the cylinder. Never swing it closed.

I'm not sure why, but this is probably the second or third time in the last couple of years I've read about someone saying to press on the crane. In 20+ years of shooting, I've never heard that advice before.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good video

But I close by pushing on the cylinder
I can not imagine using the crane to close and not pinching something eventually

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught to close with the crane but I really don't see how pushing the cylinder would damage the revolver. I mean there are different ways to rack the slide on a semi-auto so varies ways can be considered "correct". I think the video is good in the sense of showing how you can damage a revolver by swinging it closed.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Why would you press on the crane? Confused This is the first I've ever heard of it. You push on the cylinder, encircling it with your thumb and forefinger, and give it an extra twist in the direction of rotation so it locks into place. http://www.corneredcat.com/art...nd-reload-revolvers/

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfede:
check out this video... it will answer most of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspksqvtO3k

I'd take that with a massive grain of salt. Like most of the others here, I've never heard of a recommendation to only close the cylinder by pushing on the crane, as touted in that video.

Funnily enough, he himself closes almost every one of the revolvers in that video by pushing on the cylinder, not the crane. Except the two times when he's specifically talking about being sure to "push on the crane itself not the cylinder", of course. Roll Eyes

(Do as I say, not as I do...)

I also perused a couple of that old guy's other videos, and there's questionable or outright bad advice in some of the others too. (Like claiming Glocks aren't safe to carry with a round in the chamber, and you should instead practice racking the slide after drawing.)

Owning a pawn shop or having a Youtube channel doesn't make you a firearms expert.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Theoretically, pushing on the crane is better.

Realistically, it would probably take a couple lifetimes to matter.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've used revolvers before, but I don't really know them that well.

Revolvers have always felt a little awkward in my hands, but this little J-frame feels pretty comfortable for some reason!

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Funnily enough, he himself closes almost every one of the revolvers in that video by pushing on the cylinder, not the crane. Except the two times when he's specifically talking about being sure to "push on the crane itself not the cylinder", of course.

Ha! I was totally noticing that. I guess if he himself pushes the cylinder in, it can't be that big of a deal.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
No thumb on the crane by the revolver master!

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah but when Jerry wears out a gun they send him a new one. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first DA revolver nearly 40 years ago. I've never swung one shut and never closed with the crane, just the side of the cylinder. I've also never sprung one or needed to send it in.

I think there are guys out there that make this crap up to assert their little niche of (contrived) expertise.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Isn't the most resistance when closing at the end of the cylinder, meaning the crane is the wrong end of the lever to be pushing on?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Isn't the most resistance when closing at the end of the cylinder, meaning the crane is the wrong end of the lever to be pushing on?

Yup. The crane pushing is exactly the opposite of what he is trying to remediate.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Yup. The crane pushing is exactly the opposite of what he is trying to remediate.

Agreed. It would seem to me that pressing on the crane would be more likely to mess up the crane/yoke alignment than pressing on the cylinder due to leverage.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crane? NFW. I've owned over 40 revolvers since 1962. Never heard of such a thing.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think the the idea is pushing on the cylinder would provide more leverage in bending the crane. Which in theory is true.

posted Hide Post
Push on the crane ? ? ?

On the CRANE ? ! ? ! ?

Seriously????? Who does this?????

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post