SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What Pistol Brands Do You Recommend to People?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Pistol Brands Do You Recommend to People? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Honestly they all make really good products and all of them have had a problem child or three.

Before brand really comes into play, philosophy of use does. Do they want home defense, purely fun, concealed carry, striker, hammer etc. etc. I mean "I want a revolver, what do you recommend, is probably gonna make me lean Smith and Wesson over Glock, Ruger over FN. Big Grin Like has been basically touched upon that being said in specific answer to your question above.

SIG OR HK?
HK - HK rarely releases a half baked product on the market, their QC, engineering and the fact from product to product gun, magazine etc. the variation in quality is very very small. Yes I do think the VP9 was a bit of misstep at first as I think they were chasing a price point but generally HK is pretty rock solid.

Conversely SIG, ever since Cohen came aboard has been known to use its customers as beta testers for product after product and that puts me off. They were a different company in the "To Hell and Back Days" I know this is to chase profitability and SIG makes some fantastic arms but company to company today I choose HK.

GLOCK OR SMITH

Glock all day, everyday and twice on Sunday. Besides the fact that they generally have great QC and you are mostly assured of getting a great product, you have a huge history of real world experience in both law enforcement holsters as well as the worlds more popular shitholes. Combine that with their legendary durability, the ability to detail strip them with wet Q-Tip and the fact that you can buy parts at accessories basically at Pep Boys, I gotta go Glock.

Not that the M&P series is a bad product, I really like the 2.0.

THE REST

This is a tough one because I fall about equal Beretta and CZ. For this one I am thinking metal framed hammer fired guns.

I lean Beretta because they are generally better finished and they are just nice looking and operating handguns with lots of history.

Where I start to lean CZ is for CCW and competition. The P01 and PCR are incredible all metal carry guns and even the basic SP01 makes a great competition pistol, not to mention there ...... well competition pistols. Big Grin

So tough call for everyday normal metal hammer fired gun Beretta, for the more specialized uses CZ. But frankly I like both about equally.

HI-POINT OR RAVEN (BONUS ROUND Wink)
I gotta go HI-Point as they are more reliable then Raven but more importantly when they do inevitably fail ain't nobody getting hurt by a flung Raven .25 to the noggin. A Hi-Point .45 however will knock a fool cold if thrown with even a modicum of force. :P

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
I rarely recommend a brand of gun...

That pretty well sums up what I do. Whenever I recommend anything whatsoever, it inevitably turns out wrong for the person I recommend it to. If someone said he was thirsty and I gave him a commercial bottle of water, he’d end up with brain-eating amoebas.

I thought it was just me who was inevitably wrong. Good to know I am not alone. :-)

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Nobody listens. Smile

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
What Pistol Brands Do You Recommend to People?

What I don't recommend is anything new model.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Hi Point, always Hi Point Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I know it's sig forum and all but I would recommend hk over sig. I've had a few lemons with sig. Never with hk. Look at all of the issues with the 365.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
What Pistol Brands Do You Recommend to People?

What I don't recommend is anything new model.

Same. Don’t care how cool it is. Fool me once....

There are just too many vetted, viable, pistol choices out there. Metal, polymer, DA/SA, striker, DAO, condition one, LEM, DAK. I tell people to go rent, drive hours if you have to. And do not listen to anyone. Buy what you shoot well, what fits your hand and what YOU like.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For beginners, I often recommend a used S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel. As a "learning" pistol it excels.
For others, my most often made recommendation is for a late production P225 Classic. It does everything well.
You just have to find one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I ALWAYS recommend a 22 to new shooters.

They will never get comfortable shooting if it's not fun to start with. 22s are fun and the best way to learn fundamentals.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
First, I discuss caliber, then work through the types of operating systems, then we explore the intended primary use of the gun (CCW, carry in bag, home defense), and then we get into which companies make reliable firearms that fit the identified criteria.

As for companies, I recommend S&W, Glock, Sig, HK, Ruger, Springfield, Beretta, CZ, Colt (only if the person is a 1911 type, and I never recommend that as a first gun), Steyr, FN and Walther. Each of those companies produces a good, reliable, repairable firearm. Buy the one that fits you, that you shoot well, and that you are comfortable with. For the intensely cost conscious, I recommend the Ruger SR9 Series and the Springfield XDm or XDs.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Depends on budget and intended use. Based on that I give some recommendations and stress that they need to allow for training/ammo costs. Often times it’s people thinking they can just spend a couple hundred bucks for a nightstand pistol. I always recommend saving enough to get a known reliable weapon.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I stick with the major brands. Glock, sig, Ruger, Smith ... But people rarely remember once they’re looking at price tags.

Usually, they aren’t going to practice or train with it, much less carry it. They get to the gun store and come away with a SCCY, Bersa, Taurus, hi-point, or whatever because it was cheapest. The same box of ammo will last them decades.
Had a guy at the range with his Taurus revolver. It locked up. His words “I’ve had this for years and it never failed before”. Umm, yeah, because in the decade you’ve owned it, you’ve put 36 rounds through it....

Anyway, yeah...thread drift...sorry
Glock, SIG, Ruger, Smith for what it’s worth.
I also offer to let them shoot several of mine. Fondling one in the gun store is one thing, but you don’t really know how it feels until the recoil hits you.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I usually ask how much money they want to spend, and how do they intend to use it. If someone has a budget of $300 max there is no sense recommending Sig, Glock, or HK. If someone wants something to carry I won't suggest a P226 or anything full size. Now, if someone is limited by finances I often will suggest saving up a little longer to buy a quality brand (Sig, Glock, S&W, or Springfield are my top choices).

I will warn them against Taurus, Hi Point, or anything else with a low price tag as typically you get what you pay for. You don't want something that causes you problems. It is better to save up for higher quality than buy something that will just cause problems.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For new shooters? M&P or Glock for a carry piece. Or, perhaps a PPQ or PPS. I absolutely won't recommend an XD-series or a Sig these days. I love my Legions, but I won't recommend new purchases given their apparent QC issues of late.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock over M&P. The Sig, H&K choice was more difficult before H&K dropped prices on many of there pistols. Now it’s H&K easily. I want to like Sig, I truly do. They just seem to have issues with almost everything they release.

Posts: 123 | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Nobody listens. Smile

Ain’t that the truth.

They ask, you recommend.

They amble off to the LGS and get massaged into the Taurus Curve, Honor Guard whatever, or Keltec whatchamacalit.

“But the guys at the LGS said it’s great and it only cost $399...!”

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
My answers depend so much on the person asking.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Nobody listens. Smile

Ain’t that the truth.

They ask, you recommend.

They amble off to the LGS and get massaged into the Taurus Curve, Honor Guard whatever, or Keltec whatchamacalit.

“But the guys at the LGS said it’s great and it only cost $399...!”

Big Grin

It is a bizarre fact that most humans don't ask advice to take it, they ask advice to ignore it. It may not be logical, but it is sometimes true.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Honestly they all make really good products and all of them have had a problem child or three.

This. Each and every manufacturer to some extent beta test new products by selling them to the public. EACH company hides severe problems that show up in their product line from time to time. They all have fleas to some extent.

So, to say "I always recommend" has to turn a blind eye to issues that manufacturer has had (and likely tried to cover up) in the past, and conversely, "I never recommend" carries the same weight.

It is a Ford Versus Chevy debate among the major manufacturers.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG -vs- HK = SIG based on personal experience. Have never owned or even fired an HK.
M&P -vs- GLOCK = M&P due to better ergonomics/feel.
The Shield is very comfortable, if a bit small for my hands.
The Glocks feel like I'm holding a piece of lumber.
And the Others . . .
RUGER = for revolvers only! GP100 and SP101 are simple and reliable.
(Bad experience with Ruger semi-autos!)
Probably BERETTA for semi-autos, but that is based on very limited experience with these 'other' brands.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post