SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What Pistol Brands Do You Recommend to People?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Pistol Brands Do You Recommend to People? Login/Join 
posted
I have been asked for pistol recommendations a number of time from new shooter. I usually recommend M&P, Glocks, HK's, and SIG's. Each brand are better in some areas than others and people asking for a recommmendation have their own criteria which may not match mine.

If the above big 4 do not work for them then I discuss Ruger, Beretta, CZ, Walther, FN, etc. Smile

Question:
When people ask for pistol recommendations what Brands do you give out of these 2 and why?

Choices:
SIG Sauer
H&K

Question:
When people ask for pistol recommendations what Brands do you give out of these 2 and why?

Choices:
S&W M&P
Glock

Question:
When people ask for pistol recommendations what Brands do you give out of these 5 and why?

Choices:
Ruger
Beretta
CZ
Walther
FN
Springfield Armory

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
recommendations a number of times from new shooter...

Guess I'd have to say Glock on this. It works. Replacement parts are so common, they'll replace parts that haven't gone bad. No shortage of mags, etc...

Later on they can reconfigure it as their needs/skillset changes.

Don't know if an SVI would be for a beginner.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

Guess I'd have to say Glock on this. It works. Replacement parts are so common, they'll replace parts that haven't gone bad. No shortage of mags, etc...

I like Glocks and would have many but the recoil does not agree with me due to tendernitis. So now I mainly shoot my SIG's.

PS What is SVI?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep,
Signed,
A P239 fanboy who wonders about future parts.

Posts: 7350 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I actually recommend the new shooter get with some friends and go shoot, or hit a range a rent a handful off stuff to see what fits them best, and they are somewhat comfortable with,

I do have them try different brands for hand fit, ability to work the slide etc, and work the controls,

then let them decide,

but I am in the business,
when asked I will tell them what I carry and why
I try not to put myself in a position to promote one brand over the other,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I like Glocks and would have many but the recoil does not agree with me due to tendernitis. So now I mainly shoot my SIG's.

PS What is SVI?

Strayer Voight Inc., perhaps.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Depends what they want the weapon for / what type of shooting they do.

In general I recommend the following for typical HD / CCW dual roll gun.

Glocks (generally 9MM versions)
S&W (generally Shields and M&Ps)
HKs (P2000/SK - P30/SK - HK45C)

For more of an HD / house gun roll, I'll add Beretta 92 and HK USP to the above.

For more of a CCW only, I'll add Walther PPS, Ruger LCP / LC9 / LCR, and S&W J-frames.

Don't recommend SIG often these days. Their metal guns are too pricey for new shooters and polymer guns are still in their infancy (other than the SIG Pro).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

PS What is SVI?

Strayer Voight Inc., perhaps.

Yup, Spectacular firearms, just don't get in a hurry to get one. The wait time is about 15 months or so. By the same token, I don't recommend the new shooter buying their first firearm from Italy and waiting for it to clear through customs. That only takes nine months. Big Grin

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rarely recommend a brand of gun. Rather I like to explain the pros & cons of each brand & model in an effort to educate. When more than one manufacturer makes very similar models (I.e. 1911 or full-size striker fired poly gun) then I go into features and the manufacturers' warranty, customer service, and reputation. I try not to allow my personal bias enter into the conversation, but when I do, I let the individual know that piece of information is my opinion and then tell them what other people think.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For newbies usually Glock. As a platform they are reliable, relatively inexpensive, well supported and now have models from pocket .380s through 10mms for hunting and long slide competition models.

I don't own one, but if I were starting out now, I wouldn't fight drinking the kool aid. I'm a big believer in sticking with the same operating system for defensive guns if at all practicable, the Glock family makes that really easy.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glocks in 9mm. Easy to shoot, clean, disassemble, purchase and replace parts, accurate, very reliable, inexpensive.

HK VP series in 9mm. Easy to shoot, clean, very accurate, very reliable, inexpensive.

S&W M&P 2.0 models in 9mm. Easy to shoot, clean, disassemble, purchase and replace parts,
accurate, very reliable, inexpensive.

Special circumstances may dictate other choices.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I always advocate they try different things and find what works for them. if asked about any specific brand I'll give my honest opinion.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
There are lots of good quality pistols brands available. Many of us have our preferences, and new shooters will, too. It depends on the fit, feel, aesthetics, etc. I suggest that they try several different guns by brands, sizes and types and see what they like for the purpose that they have in mind. Then go out and shoot several of them and make their own decision.

I think that it is more important to talk to them about the purpose of their pistol and the different types available to accomplish that task than it is the brand.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
At the LGS where I work part-time when people ask for recommendations I will suggest HK, Sig, Colt, CZ and Walther.

I sometimes suggest a Glock and would always recommend a Glock over an m&p. Why? Well, if I wanted to rebuild a pistol with aftermarket Apex parts to give it everything the factory couldnt be bothered to (good trigger/accurate barrel) I would still be buying and recommending Kimbers.

We only stock a few s&w guns. We dont carry any of their revolvers and none of those garbage "bodyguards".

We are a Sig master dealer and Sigs constitute about 30% of our sales. Lomg range rifles and high end handguns (Nighthawk/Dan Wesson) being the bulk of what we sell. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I always advocate they try different things and find what works for them. if asked about any specific brand I'll give my honest opinion.

If it's people I know, I tell them come meet me after a USPSA match with me and I will arrange for you to try a dozen or more different guns. Smile

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
I rarely recommend a brand of gun. Rather I like to explain the pros & cons of each brand & model in an effort to educate. When more than one manufacturer makes very similar models (I.e. 1911 or full-size striker fired poly gun) then I go into features and the manufacturers' warranty, customer service, and reputation. I try not to allow my personal bias enter into the conversation, but when I do, I let the individual know that piece of information is my opinion and then tell them what other people think.

That pretty well sums up what I do. Whenever I recommend anything whatsoever, it inevitably turns out wrong for the person I recommend it to. If someone said he was thirsty and I gave him a commercial bottle of water, he’d end up with brain-eating amoebas.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Striker? S&W
Metal frame (DA/SA, DAO, DAK)? SIG
Revolver? RUGER

I've tried them all (well, alot of the anyway). I just decided to narrow the platform for my recomendations.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock, Sig or Kahr. Depends on the budget and wishes of the person. Those that I have let try all three brands seem to equally split between Glock and Kahr. Sigs seem to become the second purchase.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tell people to go to one of the places that rents and try out what they're interested in purchasing. I will tell them which brands I believe are quality manufacturers and suggest that they try those to see what they like and works for them, factoring in the intended use.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It seems a bit simplistic and perhaps presumptuous to start by recommending a brand or model to a new shooter.

Most of the new shooters that I've met haven't thought the question through enough and really don't know enough about guns and shooting to know what questions to ask. Rather than suggest a specific brand or model I feel I can better serve them by asking them questions that will get them to start thinking about what they really need.

Specific use(s) of the gun, what conditions the gun will be used in, perhaps physical and strength limitations etc..

Most would agree that ergonomic and weight considerations are important factors to consider, but I believe the new shooter should start by deciding on which action type they want and the specific benefits and downsides to each action. We live in golden times for gun owners in regards to gun choices and once the new shooter has decided on an action type he/ she can drill down the decision tree to find guns that meet their ergonomic needs and other criteria.

Only after all these other questions are answered will I make a few mfr/ brand suggestions within their criteria. Brand and model matter less than finding which gun(s) work for the new shooter.

Helping a new shooter ask questions and answer those questions for themselves I feel is more conducive to finding the right gun(s) for their specific use(s).

As there was no answer option in the poll for my answer I didn't vote.

quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:

Well said! My approach also.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post