SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning Hi Power pistol smith help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Hi Power pistol smith help Login/Join 
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted
I've got a newer production Hi Power I want to have made nicer.
My "vision" is to have a tough combat ready pistol that shoots great.
I have emailed cylinder and slide as well as Don Williams.
I have never had any work done on a pistol and am not sure what to do and who to use.
Anybody have someone they recommend?
Looking to get a great 4 pound trigger with better reset, some nicer sights, single side safety, and maybe a refinish. My pistol has the epoxy finish.
Also, Novak vs Heinie? Opinions? I want an all black rear.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wayne Novak and Karl Sokol come to mind, I have heard great thing about both of them.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
This fellow does great work:

http://www.fletchercustompistols.com

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Don Williams, Jim Garthwaite, and Ted Yost are three that often come up when people are looking for a HP gunsmith.

I've used Don and would highly recommend him. I think his work is on par with anyone, prices are reasonable, and the wait time isn't bad.

He did this one for me earlier this year:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...830019724#6830019724

Another will be heading out to him in December.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Don Williams FTW. The others mentioned are also good, but Don is not only good with Hi-Powers, he is a great gentleman to meet and a fine smith (for 1911's and High Powers). I have engaged him in several chats, being that he is local to me I take my guns to him directly.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with ANYONE mentioned on this list.

Cylinder & Slide and everyone else mentioned are some of the best in the business when it comes to BHP's. Let them know what you want, and these craftsmen will give you back damn near a work of art.

As far as your question about sights. I'd start looking at pictures of the work that these guys do, Im sure that there's pictures that you can compare with the sights you want.
Novak vs Heinie - pretty much the same as far as quality goes, it's just what's going to work for your taste.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8346 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Don Williams. I sent him a Hi-power that was already buggered up by another smith and he fixed it up for next to nothing. Great guy to deal
With.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subscribed for future use on my Hi-Power.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Don Williams fan-boy!! Don has done two of my BHP and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
This fellow does great work:

http://www.fletchercustompistols.com

Ted yost, is awesome also. Fletcher currently has one of mine.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've been given some good suggestions. I'd also check KS Customs (Kent Singletary); he'll probably be both faster and cheaper than the shops mentioned. He's done a few 1911s and a S&W M13 for me and I've been very happy.

I'd strongly recommend that you put some thought into what you want done, versus what others have had done or suggest; in order to avoid disappointment.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've not done too much comparative shopping, but at least for 1911 work, Don Williams is quite reasonably priced. Turn around time? That's another thing, but well worth the wait.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a NOVAK, done 20+ yrs back. it's STILL reliable, accurate and one of the absolute LAST guns I would EVER get rid of.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
Wayne Novak and Karl Sokol come to mind, I have heard great thing about both of them.

Yup - Karl Sokol is a BHP master.

Chestnut Mountain Sports http://www.chestnutmountainsports.net

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Cylinder & Slide does excellent work, but you'll have to wait a while, as they're very busy.
I had a lot of work done by them on my S&W 686 and it turned out great.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post