SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P365 Striker Drag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P365 Striker Drag Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
After I made my first range trip with my P365 and fired 450 rounds I noticed some minor Striker Drag. It wasn't bad, and I wasn't concerned about it. However, because I had an extra $99 laying around I ordered and installed a LSI replacement striker. Today I fired 250 rounds of various 9mm 115gr ammo. Still having MINOR Striker Drag.

I'm not a gunsmith, firearms engineer/designer and did not spend the night at Holiday Inn, but I think the striker drag is being caused by weak striker springs. The striker is not getting out of the way quick enough. A heavier spring may do the trick, but may also prevent the striker from hitting the primer with enough force.

I could be wrong.

And, as an afterthought, I really like this gun.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked my 365 up from my FFL yesterday and put 200 flawless Speer Lawman 124 FMJ through using the two ten round mags and two 12 round mags this morning. Striker drag was barely perceptible but there. Nothing like the examples people have posted. Mine was made October 17th. I did thoroughly clean it and grease it like my 229 despite the manual saying to use CLP. It got pretty hot but a buddy was loading and I was shooting as fast as he could load.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that idea of the LSI striker wasn't to eliminate the drag, just that it might not break, being that it's a machined part made with a different material than the (MIM?) striker that comes in the gun.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure just about every striker fired gun has primer drag, not just the upgraded P365.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
I'm pretty sure just about every striker fired gun has primer drag, not just the upgraded P365.
Well you'd be wrong then John.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my P365 was born Oct. 4th. It exhibits minor primer drag (as do many?, most?, all? of them).

I don't lose any sleep over it. Sooner or later Sig will "fix" the problem. That is, if it really is causing premature striker breakage).

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I don't now what I'm doing but I have been using handguns, rifles and shotguns for 55 years. I have had mechanical failures with each type of firearm. Anything made by the hand of man is subject to failure and/or malfunction. I bought a 365 made in mid October of this year. I took it to the range and ran 115 grain ball ammo, 115 grain hollow point, 124 grain ball, 124 grain hollow point, and 147 grain hollow point. I ran some magazines with mixed types of ammo and some loaded with all the same type. No problem whatsoever in 200 rounds. It does exhibit striker drag, but the drag does not seem to make it to the edge of the primer pocket, although I didn't use magnification. I'm not in the least worried about it. Am I supposed to fire 500-750-1000 rounds until it breaks and then declare the gun defective and unfit for its intended use? I have other guns more suitable for target shooting. I'll shoot the 365 from time to time in practice and carry it with confidence.

Posts: 92 | Registered: April 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought one dated 10/19. It exhibits more primer drag than that to which I am accustomed with my Glocks. Tonight, I shot 115 grain Winchester White Box, 124 grain standard pressure Speer Gold Dots, and 147 grain +P Buffalo Bore hard cast Outdoorsman. All exhibited primer drag almost to the end of the primer. I am just going to shoot it a lot in different conditions, use it in IDPA matches, and see what happens. I've had malfunctions with just about every gun that I shoot a lot.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have owned Kahr pistols that exhibited serious "primer drag." I have read accounts, when using +P ammunition, of the mark going off the primer into the brass. Yet they are not known for breaking their strikers, or slam-firing. There must be some other game afoot with these Sigs. It doesn't seem likely that this is the only factor or sole cause.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It doesn't seem likely that this is the only factor or sole cause.

Not to mention the fact that most Classic line SIG pistols exhibit the same thing. It’s usually not to the same degree as I’ve seen posted with P365s, but if primer drag were the only thing that was responsible for broken strikers, it would be a common occurrence with P220s, P226s, P229s, etc.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I was shooting my P365 yesterday and, when I was finished, I picked up a handful of brass just to see what the striker drag was like. Here’s a shot of a mixture of SIG 115, Fiocchi 124 and Remington 115. Striker drag appears to be unchanged since I got it in July. Mine is June ’18 build and I’m pushing 1,000 rounds. Absolutely zero malfunctions to this point and I couldn’t be happier with its performance.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The 1st and 4th on the top row and the 3rd and 4h on the bottom row are good examples of the rounds i fired before and after changing my striker.

I think next trip out I'm going to give 124 gr a try and see if that doesn't speed up the slide.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine looked like bottom row, number 3&4 as well. Very pleased with the pistol and I’ll probably run another 200 this Thursday to see if I have the same results as Wednesday.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
Well you'd be wrong then John.

RHINO, you are wrong. The big man from SIG already told us dummies that the primer drag was normal. Sit down, please.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I've shot about 1500 rounds through my P365 and haven't seen a single striker drag. Of course, I haven't looked at any spent casings yet either. Maybe ignorance and reliability so far is bliss!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Striker drag is a huge issue it just ruins primers, I have that horrible drag in every one of my 7100 rounds that I have shot thru mine. I just keep waiting for it to quit. any day now any day. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I each (individually) purchased P365 at big sale. Shooting at 10 yards, they are more accurate than expected - fill black on 50 foot NRA bullseye target as long as one does not jerk. POA is Point of strike. Recoil - several people have noted is less than Shield and G43.
However, over 85% of the recovered cases show the that the case was being ejected while the striker was still extended - "primer drag."
Several here seem to believe that this is not a problem, is not indicating a future problem, and is best ignored. . . . and is a feature of the P365. A link to an authoritative conclusion about this will be nice.
I also note unexpected wear on the bottom-outside of the barrel's breach end. Can not see what it is hitting. Pattern is a bit different between the two P365 pistols. Both have an early August date.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig recontoured the tip of the striker to make it stronger. There is an aftermarket stainless steel one that is also stronger. Even if both of these new strikers prevent them from breaking they don't address the drag issue just negate its affect. I think Sig would need to go to a heavier recoil spring to allow more time for the striker to retract before the case ejects. But then people would complain about it being too difficult to pull back the slide.

quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Wife and I each (individually) purchased P365 at big sale. Shooting at 10 yards, they are more accurate than expected - fill black on 50 foot NRA bullseye target as long as one does not jerk. POA is Point of strike. Recoil - several people have noted is less than Shield and G43.
However, over 85% of the recovered cases show the that the case was being ejected while the striker was still extended - "primer drag."
Several here seem to believe that this is not a problem, is not indicating a future problem, and is best ignored. . . . and is a feature of the P365. A link to an authoritative conclusion about this will be nice.
I also note unexpected wear on the bottom-outside of the barrel's breach end. Can not see what it is hitting. Pattern is a bit different between the two P365 pistols. Both have an early August date.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s a shot of a mixture of SIG 115, Fiocchi 124 and Remington 115. Striker drag appears to be unchanged since I got it in July.

Interesting that the Fiocci primers seem to show the most drag. Maybe the degree of drag is dependent on the primer or primer seating?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
every one of my 7100 rounds

Holy smokes! Did I understand that correctly? You've got 7100 rounds on a P365? Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post