SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P210A Normal not to go into battery question? Shot it, ISSUES!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P210A Normal not to go into battery question? Shot it, ISSUES!!!!! Login/Join 
posted
I bought a new P210 standard and went to my FFL today to fill out the transfer paperwork for the 5 day wait. It's a very nice gun, very tight, good trigger etc. However, what I noticed is while testing the trigger, when you rack the slide back, if you don't let the slide stop go to put it into battery, if you just ease it forward or pull the slide back and push it forward, it get's stuck about 3/16" from going into battery. You can't even push it into battery it's like it's caught on the barrel hood or something. The only way it goes into battery is if it's slingshot back by releasing the slide stop. Is this normal? Are they that tight and it loosens up a little with use

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was as smooth as butter.Can you go back and make sure it has lube on the rails and barrel before you pick it up? I would also take a snap cap to make sure it will chamber a round.

I just double checked mine and can feel a little resistance right before the barrel locks up.Took the magazine out and there is no resistance.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I handle one in gun shops I’ve noticed that too

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Many semi-automatic pistols act that way, especially when new. Don't baby the darn thing. When it fires, it goes forward with much greater velocity and it is designed to withstand that punishment.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has a ton of lube on it. I'm going to shoot it when I pick it up, so will make sure it functions well. I'll make sure it returns to full battery at least on the first 2 magazines. It appears to be extremely tight. The two employees at the gun shop were all over it and thoroughly impressed with it. LOL......

I wasn't worried about babying it.

posted Hide Post
P210A's have tight barrel lockup to the slide to ensure accuracy, and slide fitted to frame with almost no play at all. Clean, lube, then shoot it. If there are any problems call Sig.

Mine takes a bit of force to get it out out battery, and if eased forward will not go all the way into battery. But I can push it the rest of the way. If there is interference with the barrel hood to slide locking then you will see wear marks where the hangup is.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
It’s normal for the 210A.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, that puts my mind at ease.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The tightness on these new P210s (including the Germans) varies. Yours is within specs, as they like to say. My German P210 Midnight 5" lockup is extremely tight, and it took about 400 rounds before the "issue" goes away. The previous Silver Super Target 5" took about 70 rounds, iirc.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even so, a P210 is not as bad as a Les Baer on tight lockup! I've seen Baer 1911's that could not be racked by hand and needed an impact of some kind to break them open.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Normal. The Swiss,German and American 210s have the kind of precise fit people pay gunsmiths big bucks to achieve on custom pistols. The goal is to have barrel/slide/frame consistently lock up as if they were a single piece of steel in battery. My 210s,X-5, Baers, earlier S&W Performance Center pistols, Clark Colt, etc. have this type of fit.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Shoot it. You can't exert the same speed and force on a slide with just your hands that firing a cartridge does.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Mine does the same but shoots fine.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P210A standard had some tightness first 100 rounds or so, but never a malfunction, always went to battery, slingshot or not. I use a lot of Lukas oil on rails. Now the gun slides like on bearings, no play between slide and frame. Fabulous pistol. It replaced a much more expensive Les Baer 1911 for me.
I am warming to the idea of a Carry P210A, if it ever comes out.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan on shooting it Friday or Sunday when I pick it up. i'll shoot it against m new CZ custom 75b SA stainless and a few others.

I only handled one P210 target and couldn't stand the grips or feel of it in my hand with the target grips. Stumbled across a great deal on a new standard and took a shot on it without even handling one. I looked at it, handled it last Saturday. Gun feels very good with the standard grips, has a very good trigger, is tight as a drum and looks good.......so only thing left is to see how it shoots......

posted Hide Post
SO, I picked it up today and shot it. 100 rounds of Blazer brass .124 grain, 50 rounds of blazer brass .115 grain. I had around 10 failures. 5 slide stuck back, rounds in magazine and empty case stuck in chamber. The other 5, it was about 3/8" from going into battery. Seems to hang up, even with no rounds in it, 3/8" from going into battery.....like the barrel hood hangs up right before going into lockup. I'm going to put 500 rounds through it before calling SIG and see if it loosens up a little. I didn't have any other brand of ammo to try. It did the same with my fiance shooting it. It does have really nice balance, is very accurate and has a pretty nice trigger, a bit of take up though.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It has a ton of lube on it. I'm going to shoot it when I pick it up, so will make sure it functions well. I'll make sure it returns to full battery at least on the first 2 magazines. It appears to be extremely tight. The two employees at the gun shop were all over it and thoroughly impressed with it. LOL......

If it wasn't you that put that oil on it, it wasn't lube. It was a bunch of preservative and not proper lube.
That stuff needs to come off and lubed properly.

You may also feel the disconnector slowing the slide just before going into battery.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it wasn't you that put that oil on it, it wasn't lube. It was a bunch of preservative and not proper lube.

When I bought my P210A I cleaned everything that was on the gun--particularly on the rails and guide slots--off and lubricated it back up with a fine machine oil. The slide fit on my NH SIG isn't to the level of a hard fit scenario, but its tolerances are much tighter than how my German Legend was when that one was NIB, almost to the level of a Swiss example of the gun. A buddy who's into all of those tight tolerance, expensive 1911s recommended this technique for break-in; I don't know if it really made that much of a difference but my P210A has run fine and without histrionics since Day 1.

The one thing I did have to watch out for is how quickly this particular machine oil would heat and burn off, so to minimize the effect of running a bone dry gun. If I recall correctly I only ran about 200 or so rounds using the machine oil; now I just use my regular lubrication oil and the gun runs like budda.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

You may also feel the disconnector slowing the slide just before going into battery.

Bob

I'll clean it before I shoot it again. But what is on it sure feels like gun oil. Nothing on the slide or frame, those are clean so I'd think if it was a preservative that they'd be soaked too, it's only the barrel exterior and slide rails and such are very very wet.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Mine came with a ton of white grease

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post