SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Un-braced SHTF pistol project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Un-braced SHTF pistol project Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
With the possibility of large format (AR type) pistol and braces become NFA items, I am considering putting together a purpose built pistol and supportive gear that can be carried in a sling pack or messenger bag and carried in a vehicle, think - pistol version of a “get home bag,” to replace the 9” 300 AAC Blackout and mags in a backpack.

I’m looking for ideas on suitable pistol platforms and supporting gear. I am thinking Glock 34 type with large format mags, but I am not a Glock guy. Steel frame? Long slide? Custom compensated barrel? I like my P10c, thought maybe a P20F, maybe even a CZ SP01?

I’d like a magazine with extended base plates with at least 20 rounds, 24-30 is even better. An optic is fine, but it would need to be compatible with an astigmatism, so no red dots unfortunately.

What would you put together for this task?

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
When was the last time you heard of somebody who didn’t specifically put themselves in the situation need to employ a long arm or mass amounts of ammo to egress?

I’m not trying to be an ass nor would I ever deign to tell one what they want to own or carry is wrong. I am just being practical.

That said I would imagine your normal carry pistol with a few extra in case shit mags would be more then enough. If you want to build a specific in case shit bag / pistol any of the big full size guns would fit the Bill. Glock long slides or duty sized, CZ75s, Beretta 92s or Storms, etc. etc.

If it were me I would run one of my HK P2000’s or P30 with 17 round mags. Easily, concealable, plenty of firepower and most importantly they are my carry/house/go to guns so I am comfortable with them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’d go carbine in a bag that matches your pistol.

My plan is a Kel-Tec Sun 2000 and Glock 19.

Need to buy a keltec still tho lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92 of some flavor. They offer factory 30 round magazines that run. Blacked out rear u notch with tritium (preferably orange) front sight can be pretty quick without star bursting like a reddit to astigmatism eyes. Wilson Combat makes a couple of 92s, Centurion and Brigadier that fit the bill though the sights on the Langdon offerings are easily swapped.

CZ extended factory magazines are crap.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a rifle. A Ruger PC Carbine takedown, Glock mag insert. Or an AR broken down; lower with a Minimalist stock, upper with a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" min. muzzle device pinned and welded. Upper should be around 22" long; not great but a tallish backpack should easily swallow that kit of parts. Make it a pistol caliber AR and my handgun would use the same mags (Glock). Same goes without saying with the PC Carbine getting along with a G19 or G17. Backpack sized to match.

-MG

Posts: 1990 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I'd rather have a rifle.

So would I, but the purpose of this exercise is an alternative to a PCC or short barreled large format AR pistol. A full on rifle is great, but a rifle in a vehicle needs to be unloaded and locked, not conducive to a hasty exit scenario.

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:

How about the factory 19 Roy fees with aftermarket +5 base extensions?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As far as factory extended mags go I think Glock and Beretta are your best bets for reliability and durability as well as having a fairly long history to base this on.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...hasty exit scenario...

That's the thing. If you're really in some dire get-outta-Dodge scenario, are you actually going to care what Mr. ATF man says or that you're in full compliance with the latest reinterpretations of the NFA regs?

Survive first, worry about any possible consequences later. That would be my boundary for any such exercise.

-MG

Posts: 1990 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Something that matches your carry gun mags would be ideal. I've almost set on just carrying my Glock 45 off duty all the time so Glock 9mm mags work for me. If CMMG would ever get production faster, my Banshee lower from September would ship. I bought the 9mm Glock version.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need to buy a keltec still tho lol

Better said is " Need to find a KelTec you can buy" seems the motto there is produce little, distribute few.... LOL

Looked at getting a Sub2000, LGS had a lot of them and they were on sale, kept debating buying it, now they are hard to find and overpriced...

If I were doing a bag gun, the Sub2000 would be it... No need to build one...

https://www.keltecweapons.com/...arms/rifles/sub2000/

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:

How about the factory 19 Roy fees with aftermarket +5 base extensions?

I personally do not have experience with extended base plates. It always seemed like adding another variable and possible point of failure. I run mecgars in my CZs as I found the factory options less than desirable. The 26 rounder is actually 2 magazine bodies welded together. You can see this if you remove the rubber boot they come with to prevent over insertion. They cost twice as much as Block and Beretta offerings and I have never had one feed correctly the 26 rounds they carry.

Adding an extension to factory CZ magazines may prove problematic as well. It has been my experience that factory CZ magazines are under sprung. The base plates on the 19 rounders tend to walk off after usage when forcefully loaded into the guns. They disassemble themselves in short leaving you without a reload. Unless the extension you are eyeing comes with a stronger spring adding tension to the base plate, I could see this issue being exasperated. The Mecgars are cheaper and run better. I found 19 rounds to be plenty for the platform. They are easier to store and carry than the 30 round offerings from other manufacturers.

If your considering the compact CZs, P-01, PCR, 75D, I would still go Mecgars as the slides are capable of out running the weak factory magazine springs leading to failure to feed malfunctions whereby the slide closes before the round is correctly oriented to feed into chamber. Compared to Berettas, the round feeding in a CZ has a lot of territory to cover when feeding.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Change your AR pistols buffer tube to an M16 rifle tube. Or go Glock 19/17MOS with a quality light and high vis sights, and a few 33 round magazines.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Dropping in again...

You could find an HK Mk23. It was/is the first “offensive pistol” or something like that.

But why not just take the brace off the .300? If that’s what you’re worried about, if they pass that as a rule then go to a buffer tube and viola. You’re still doing better than a .45 or 9mm going at 1,000ish FPS, no?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could find an HK Mk23. It was/is the first “offensive pistol” or something like that.

It was deemed the first 'crew served handgun' as I recall... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
With the possibility of large format (AR type) pistol and braces become NFA items, I am considering putting together a purpose built pistol and supportive gear that can be carried in a sling pack or messenger bag and carried in a vehicle, think - pistol version of a “get home bag,” to replace the 9” 300 AAC Blackout and mags in a backpack.

I’m looking for ideas on suitable pistol platforms and supporting gear. I am thinking Glock 34 type with large format mags, but I am not a Glock guy. Steel frame? Long slide? Custom compensated barrel? I like my P10c, thought maybe a P20F, maybe even a CZ SP01?

I’d like a magazine with extended base plates with at least 20 rounds, 24-30 is even better. An optic is fine, but it would need to be compatible with an astigmatism, so no red dots unfortunately.

What would you put together for this task?

If the brace is what becomes a legal problem, well, why not just lose the brace, and keep the AR in pistol form? For good measure, one could use a totally “feature-less” buffer tube.

I do not know your CZ system. I do have several 33-round Glock magazines, that fit my G17 and G19x pistols.

I found that the ACRO P-1’s red dot works OK with my slight astigmatism. Keep in mind that one looks at the target, and brings the red dot to the desired point of impact, so, a totally sharp dot is not necessary. When my COVD vaccine has reached its effective date, enabling me to start going to ranges again, I plan to start vetting a new-to-me, pre-owned G45 slide, milled for an ACRO, on my G19x.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm of the view that either I am relying on a pistol (and really it doesn't matter which one conceptually) with a few mags or I am relying on a rifle. And when I want a rifle to fit in a small space without form 1 issues I either put the LAW folder on it (which usually is enough) or I add a removable barrel (via the cry havoc takedown kit, but there are now others). Those I have lots of experience on.
And there you go.
There are some other ways that I can think of to do it that I have not actually tested, for example the ACR barrel separates and rejoins easily so that could act as a takedown. Same for the ARX. There are many custom takedowns that I would say would be great, I especially enjoy the survival ones lever action ones for Alaskan bush pilots.
But until one sees the new rule and they survive some court issues just carry a braced pistol and be happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I add a removable barrel (via the cry havoc takedown kit, but there are now others). Those I have lots of experience on.

I totally forgot my dealer ordered six of these months ago and they finally came in. One of them is mine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
But why not just take the brace off the .300? If that’s what you’re worried about, if they pass that as a rule then go to a buffer tube and viola. You’re still doing better than a .45 or 9mm going at 1,000ish FPS, no?

My concern would be less about a brace ban, and more about a requirement to NFA said large format pistol as an SBR. I live very close to a state line and would find myself unable to carry it a lot of the time. AND, it would no longer be a pistol.

posted Hide Post
I was looking at an ad for the CZ Scorpion micro and realized my G34 with comp is only vaguely smaller in the barrel. Maybe a quarter to half inch. If you are going unbraced I think the gap would close and you can IWB the G34. With the comp and dot its not an AR but its a very capable pistol at the top edge of the size envelope.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post