SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is, "the melt treatment"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is, "the melt treatment"? Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted
Saw this term on another site and was wondering what it was.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It's when all the sharp edges on a pistol are machined into rounded snag free surfaces.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's pretty much it. Sometimes they will even go as far as rounding off a trigger guard if it is square.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A more extreme than usual rounding and contouring of all edges and corners. SIG "SAS" models are an example, and some gun makers or customizers go even further. Now, I don't like sharp edges peeling strips out of leather holsters or cutting/gouging hands, but except for guns carried in pockets or other deep concealment, "'melt' jobs" aren't my personal taste.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Dehorning

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The goal is a "used bar of soap" feel. Sometimes they go too far.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The above is exactly one of the "extreme" ones.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Looks like a Clark Meltdown

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:

Looks like a Clark Meltdown

Yes, it does. I always liked Clark meltdown guns. They are true meltdowns, if you ever want to see what a meltdown looks like.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'IF' I remember correctly, wasn't the dehorn/meltdown concept started by Jim Clark Sr.?

I've seen a few of them, but the above example is truly extreme; I doubt you could go any further, and why would you need to??

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOVE! That's all I got!

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by titus66:
'IF' I remember correctly, wasn't the dehorn/meltdown concept started by Jim Clark Sr.?

See the two posts above yours.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

The "melt treatment", you're doing it wrong.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Sig does it, the models are designated S.A.S.
Sig Anti Snag

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep Clark started it. A friend of mine spent the better part of 20 years looking for the right Clark meltdown. He finally found a blued commander. He took it to one of Clark's nephews where he then found out that nephew was the actual builder of that gun. Kind of full circle. He said he would never sell the gun.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Sig SAS has the 'melted' features.
As others stated, rounding sharp corners usually on the slide.
Here is my P239 compared to my SAS P239.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 350zee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

The "melt treatment", you're doing it wrong.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------

Posts: 1311 | Location: Everett, WA. | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that blowtorch on high for a short time or low for a long time? It works on smoking briskets and such...

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post