SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PX4 Compact Carry
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PX4 Compact Carry Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Langdon is now doing milling of PX4 slides for RMR’s.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs...igshid=1wxdb24s6uhtt

https://www.langdontactical.co...t-mounting-solution/

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I need to quit reading threads like this. Cabela's has the full-size and compact in .40 at absolute blowout prices right now. Must resist...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the necro thread, I know it's been two years, but you guys with the PX4 CC still enjoying the gun? I usually get a birthday Glock and a birthday Beretta every year and I already got the birthday Glock and am looking at the PX4 CC.

I don't have any Glock 19s anymore (mom stole one, sister stole one, girlfriend stole one) so this is about the same size and I want to try something new. I never carry or shoot my LTT Elite Centurion since it's kind of big for summer carry.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a PX4 Storm in 40 cal. It’s so new to my collection I’ve not had time to actually shoot it. Hope to fix that this weekend.
I do like the looks and size. We’ll soon see how it functions.

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: April 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PX4 CC is one of my favorite guns. Now if LTT would only get more of the bevel cut mags in stock. At some point I'm going to get another one and have LTT do their latest / greatest optic setup on it. I wasn't a fan of the first iteration of optic mounting they came out with for the PX4 but the latest one is the same style as their 92 RDO stuff.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have all 3 sizes of the PX4 in 9mm. If I had to do it over again I’d just skip the Compact. I much prefer the full size and for carry, the subcompact. I made my own versions as I don’t care for the LTT versions. Don’t like the sights nor the finish.
The sub is better for carry, love the damn thing. And I like the full size for range, HD, etc. Compact is my least favorite.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the subcompact does not have a rotating barrel like the full-size and compact models. Is that accurate?

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^
Correct.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Gotcha, thanks. I assume they implemented the different design in the subcompact because there wasn't room for the rotating barrel system? Is there a noticeable difference in the feel of the action when shooting between the two designs? I've been hearing more about these lately, and I'm intrigued by the rotating barrel...maybe I need to snag a police trade-in cheap if I come across one.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak to the tilting sub vs full/compact rotating barrel but can to the full/compact vs a standard tilting barrel alternative.

The rotating barrel shines in heavier calibers (.40 for example) or fast shooting. IME.

If you simple run a 9mm vs a Glock 17 for example there really is not a TON of difference. Is it noticeable if you look for it ….. yeah. Is it noticeable shooting fast and staying on target…….yeah but none of it so vastly different that the operating system would make or break my choice.

Now as a solid, hammer fired, polymer pistol option in its own right I think the PX4 is a wonderful pistol. Just maintain the rotating bolt properly/keep it greased. Just don’t go into thinking it will be some paradigm shift in recoil control.

I find it similar to how folks speak of .45 HK pistols. To hear folks speak of them you would think they take the .45 down to a .22 magnum!!! When the reality is they do tend to shoot a TAD softer then other .45s but not enough to make that a real decision point. The PX4 or other rotating barrel systems are similar to this.

Super fun gun geek, something interesting pistol though. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Gotcha, thanks. I assume they implemented the different design in the subcompact because there wasn't room for the rotating barrel system? Is there a noticeable difference in the feel of the action when shooting between the two designs? I've been hearing more about these lately, and I'm intrigued by the rotating barrel...maybe I need to snag a police trade-in cheap if I come across one.

You are correct and let's say, after you've shot both, rotating, and tilt, well maybe a better way of explaining would be this......the Subcompact is a lot like a glock 26. It shoots like a full size gun. In almost 30 years of buying handguns, it was the most incredible model to open the box up, lube and shoot. I mean from the first magazine I hit every single target I aimed at, effortlessly. And this was my first one, around 2010 or so, not the one I have now. I put through that first magazine, and with an open slide, I laid it down on the bench. I was in disbelief. Loaded up another magazine, and shot it again, same thing. That small package with high capacity really was the single most impressed I have ever been with a new pistol. Just didn't expect it to be that good. I only sold it because I was still a 357sig shooter and carrier. But then I migrated away from 357sig years later due to ammo cost and specifically the Federal HST 124gr +p round. It was developed so well and I was so impressed with that cartridge that I sold all ammo and migrated to 9mm. But anyways, that little PX4 subcompact may be the most underrated CCW around, at least for the DA/SA crowd. I saw "looks" cited as the most common reasons and rolled the eyes. I didn't know handguns were such a beauty contest. I've always been after how it shoots, reliability, and how it carries. Anyway the sub is "my precious" for some reason. I carry it almost all the time.

I really notice the rotating barrel in the full size PX4. As cslinger said, you run that thing fast, and fuck me, it's something else. You shoot that thing and nothing moves but the slide. This is where I feel the rotating barrel pays huge dividends. Others have mentioned muzzle flip. I don't get that at all when I shoot the full size. Not believing the accuracy or precision, because it's a relatively cheap pistol. I handed it to someone more skilled than I that shoots way more. He didn't move, the pistol barely moved, just the slide sliding back and forth like some much more expensive handgun, like the slide was on ball bearings. Extremely accurate. Think much higher end pistol and it should make sense. Got damn steal at the $350 bnib I paid. They usually go for a whopping $400 in normal times.

Why this platform goes largely unnoticed in the DA/SA community escapes me. I get some hate the looks (I'm particularly fond of the sub looks, and ambivalent about the compact/full) but there are really some unique features on these pistols. The tear drop placement on the slide for your shooting finger, when your finger isn't on the trigger. For training, it's magnificent, even if you are seasoned at this like many of us are. Why someone didn't think of something similar, that I realize is kind of insignificant to many, escapes me. The patented design of the flip down lever on the subcompact is much the same, it's incredible for me, turns the the small sub into a full size and it shoots like one. On a Glock you have to buy Pearce extensions for that for a full purchase. The platform really is exemplary. Stock, the triggers are damn good. Compared to my Robert Burke modified HK triggers, as a comparison, the stock PX4 trigger is still better sans Robert's reset on the HK's as the PX4 stock reset is longer than I like. I mean HK triggers have never been great. But then the PX4 Burke trigger is fucking magnificent. Think tuned well P Series Sigs. So I always say the Burke HK trigger and stock PX4 trigger are not equal but same ballpark. But then you modify the PX4 trigger and wow. After migrating and trying many platforms once I decided to get away from my pant saggers (Sig P Series) the PX4's ending up being the perfect droids I was looking for.

There are only two things with the platform I don't care for. The stock levers of the pistols really do suck. When carrying they can dig into your side. And on the range they are kind of sharp. I practice a lot of DA shooting. Fire it, decock, fire it again in DA. Over and over for several magz every range trip. I mean done enough you can draw blood. So if you buy a regular version, order the slim levers before you even get the pistol. Thank me later. Those slim levers also turn the width into the width of a Glock. I think with the regular levers it's 1.4", with the slim levers 1.2" width.

Then realize the Bruniton finish is not exemplary by any stretch of the imagination. Bruniton starts flaking off the interior of the slide after just a few hundred rounds. So either don't care or take it as an opportunity, as I did, with an inexpensive pistol to refinish it when new or down the line. That's it as far as complaints. The things are bulletproof in reliability. The OEM triggers are good enough for carry guns and pretty damn good actually stock. It's just the reset I wanted changed as DA and SA are good out of the box. But I'm extremely picky on my DA/SA pistols and prefer 10#/4# and a nice crisp glass like trigger with a short reset. The PX4's have ended up being a nice replacement for my previous DA/SA platform, Kriss Sphinx pistols. My PX4 sub is right there with the Sphinx subcompact for my needs, same capacity, and Beretta parts can be bought while Sphinx parts cannot. I took the platform as a project to make my own versions to be modified right to my picky taste and they turned out better than I ever thought they could be. With such a low buying cost it was the perfect opportunity to get Robert involved and CCR finishing was icing on the cake.

I would suggest getting your hands on any size you can for finger banging. Some guys prefer a 19 sized pistol and don't like the 26. I'm the opposite. On Glocks I love the 26 and 17, and could do without a 19 altogether. It's much the same with the PX4's as I'm in love with the subcompact and the 17 is like a comp pistol to me, it's that good. I don't like the Compact nearly as much as the other two, don't like the purchase on it at all, and don't feel in that size the rotating barrel is a big deal in the size. Others will say the opposite. But I'd suggest trying before you buy. In normal times they are so inexpensive you can take the opportunity to DIY, send it off for trigger work, or you can pay for the expensive LTT versions so you have many choices. They do not have Glock like support, nothing does, but there are enough holster and sight choices to satisfy.

I had planned on doing a full review of Robert's triggers, CCR's refinishing, and the platform as a whole with sight information, holster information, etc. And I will. I just had shoulder surgery right after I got the project done then the pandemic and the ammo prices but I will do a full review of them on here once temps cool down. Very happy with the platform switch. So much so I sold everything else I own pistol wise and down to the PX4 set for primary CCW and range, and 2 HK's (P30/P30sk) strictly used for gloved work as the trigger guards are larger.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the writeup! I've been re-devloping an appreciation for the DA/SA trigger after a brief jaunt with striker guns, and the PX4 is intriguing as a polymer-framed DA/SA option....it kinda falls in between the poly/striker world and the metal DA/SA one. Add to that that it has a weird action that appeals to the design geek in me, and you have my attention. I need another gun like I need another hole in the head right now....but for less than $400, I'm very tempted.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Also I forgot to mention. The triggers out of the box are not bad at all. I am not a trigger “snob” so to speak but I find the PX4 triggers pretty nice all in all for a DA/SA gun.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a px4CC 2 years ago, it is honestly a phenomenal gun to shoot. I really don’t know why I don’t carry it other than I usually throw a P30 on when I’m carrying a larger size weapon, the CC has a much superior trigger than the HK, shoots better for me, follow ups are a breeze. I would have to say with all the shit that’s gone on for the last 18 months, I just had a lot more time on the P30 and knew I was capable with it. Now that I’ve been able to get some more time with the PX4, as soon as I can find a holster I like, it’ll probably be my main larger carry gun. I have no regrets getting it at all. I thought maybe with all the good vibes Langdon has given it, that it would gain a bit more popularity but striker is king for many and da/sa is not something people want to put the time in on.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a PX4 Compact 9mm several years ago when Beretta was offering the factory rebate. $50 bux, I think. I put around 100 rounds down the pipe with no problems. 13+1, I believe.

Got the matching holster and gave everything to GF son when he turned 21. He said he loves it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Langdon Tactical / Robar Beretta Compact Carry late 2017. I love it. I prefer the grip angle and feel over the G19. The trigger work done by Langdon and the NP3 make the double action a treat. My double action breaks at around 7 pounds and my single action around 3.
Recoil with 9mm is a breeze. During my first 100 rounds I had 2 light primer strike. Since then she has been completely reliable with no further issues. The gun shoots better than I do. It’s often my nightstand gun. So I trust my life to it.
It is thick. I’m ok with some thickness in my firearm and my woman. Find a holster your comfortable with. I use a Vedder lighttuck for AIWB with the claw and it’s comfortable for a pistol that’s thick but doesn’t get carried as often as my P365.
The looks of the gun have grown on me. It doesn’t have the aftermarket of the G19 so accessories and holsters may be limited but the pistol itself is a solid performer.

Posts: 28 | Location: FL | Registered: February 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
The standard Compact is my main practice gun.
I also like the balance and handling of the compacts the best.
Mine are all G with Fugly levers and Trijicon HD sights.

I put the Langdon stealth levers on mine, but aside from that, this is how mine are set up (Trijicon HD sights). I put the trigger job in a bag in all 3 of mine (and the reduced reset trigger bar). I alternate between the 9 & 40 compacts for carry, and the full size is a night stand gun.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
In addition to my carry pistol on page 2, I picked up a second PX4 Compact last year to be a dedicated training/gaming/back-up gun.

Same set-up as my carry gun - basically a poor man's LTT:
Extended mag release
Frame plug
Stealth levers
#12 hammer spring
Skateboard tape grip.
(All for just over $100)

I recently added the LTT Optimized Trigger bar, but the only real difference I can tell is the significantly shorter reset (which was never a problem - IMHO - to begin with).

About the only time I don't carry the PX4C is in the colder months when the WC CenTac or 92 Compact are easier to conceal - and even then I still carry it quite a bit.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PX4 compact is one of my favorite pistols. The only thing I don't like is that damned slide mounted safety. Why, Beretta do you insist on putting it there? And to make things worse, the factory safety just sucks, I hate the way it feels. Did anyone actually use it before it got approved? Aside from that unpleasantness, its awesome.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Yeah not much fun at the range or digging into your skin depending on the holster of course. These should be the first part ordered.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-...f-type-g-mfg/c89169/