SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bond Arms Bullpup 9
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bond Arms Bullpup 9 Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
SigForum strikes back! Again...

Sort of...the Boberg thread on here reminded me that Bond Arms was now producing an updated Boberg XR9 "Shorty". I'd been a follower of the design since the beginning, even signed up for one of the first pistols ... but wisely backed out. I'm an engineering geek at heart and found the design intriguing - and the small size and easy shooting very appealing. But the Boberg had some quirks and frankly the design needed refinement.

Enter Bond Arms, they bought the design and took over a year to refine and then bring to market - the biggest shift being the addition of a coating to barrel and locking luck that was a natural lubricant - meaning only light oil and not grease was needed. Now that this has been out for over a year, many owners are reporting thousands of rounds trouble free and the fantastic build quality Bond seems to be know for (I don't any other Bond so can't speak directly to this).

The design is unique in having a reverse feed that will pull the bullet due to G-force if the bullet is not crimped...but seems to have beaten this mostly and now pretty state "don't shoot with Blazer - go have fun". The barrel is a rotating barrel with locking lug and the same barrel length as much longer gun in a package almost the size of an LCP. The range report still needs to come if I can get time tomorrow - but for now it fits easily in Jean pockets and I could hide with an OWB belt holster too and a T-Shirt.

Honestly seems to be impressive, the trigger is smooth DA only and just right / not too hard. Like my SP101 after I changed the springs and stoned. So far - liking it, but proof is after a 1,000 rounds.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a very cool piece and you are right being a unique design. I have never actually held one but seems like a cool gun.Any pics of the magazine?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Interestimg piece.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, it is all my fault. I hope it runs great! Looking forward to the range report.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
This is going to be very interesting. I've read about this design more than once but otherwise haven't heard from anyone shooting or carrying one particularly for SD.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Dumb question from having spent a little time with a 'retired' P7: what's the easiest way to holster that thing so that it doesn't feel unbalanced when you carry it and you can still get a good grip on it when you need to?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “The design is unique in having a reverse feed that will pull the bullet due to G-force if the bullet is not crimped”

Could you please expound on “reverse feed”? I don’t know what that is.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Here is a animation of loading / firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSva89jbNM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Here is a animation of loading / firing.

That is certainly unique.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thank you, cee_Kamp, now I understand. Very interesting mechanism. Makes for more barrel length in the short slide.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Here is an animation of it firing:
Bond Bullpup Firing

Magazine loaded with snap caps - it is 7+1 capacity:

Did not get out this weeken to shoot, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday. Pesky work that pays for toys had my full attention.

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Dumb question from having spent a little time with a 'retired' P7: what's the easiest way to holster that thing so that it doesn't feel unbalanced when you carry it and you can still get a good grip on it when you need to?

As a fellow P7 afficianado, not a dumb question at all. Even the back heavy P7 has a protruding snout fairly absent on the Bond Boberg. Perhaps it's best role at 4.2" x 5.1" is as a pocket pistol.
I do wonder a little if one needs to be careful of one's fingers.
I really like Bullups and their center of gravity -- AUG's, Keltec KSG, even the Beretta Storm (though not actually a Bullpup). I am fascinated by this Bond Boberg design.
I sure hope this proves reliable. I had one on order when they were Bobergs, and the order got fouled up then Bobergs faded away. Unless they prove a flop, one will be in my safe within a year.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have a Meco split back sharkskin pocket holster on order. I do think OWB would work and could cover with a shirt too...but starting with a good pocket holster.

-Scottish proverb

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have always carried my Bobergs in a pocket

If I am wearing a belt holster, then I carry something BIGGER

The beauty of the Bobger/Bond Arms design is that a 3 3/4" barreled 45 can be pocket carried with ease.

Or how about a 4.2" barreled auto loader in 9MM or perhaps even 356TSW Eek

That is a longer barrel than the compact Smith and Wesson M&P, it is also longer than the compact Glocks, Neither of which pocket carry very well.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I know recoil is subjective, but for those who've shot these, what are your impressions and comparisons of the recoil?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I do wonder a little if one needs to be careful of one's fingers.

That's my first thought, looking at the pistol. It would be really easy to get one's support hand in front of that muzzle, if not careful and exercising extra vigilance.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post