New
Find
Notify
Tools

80% P320 Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted
Our fine search function didn't find an existing thread on this...

Your thoughts?

Ghostguns.com has announced an 80% insert for the 320. Not sure how easy it would be to obtain the other needed parts to complete the insert.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...-control-group-p320/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
No thread of it's own but was mentioned in this thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6740086814/p/2.

What's the price point? Like you said you still have to obtain the other parts and at what price?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the article on TFB yesterday, I think. This seems to be a solution searching for a problem. If a person is legally able to buy a P320 - why not just buy one and avoid all the potential pitfalls of this contraption?

If a person isn't able to legally obtain a P320, then I'm not sure I would want them to make one!! On a practical note, it would have to have a serial number stamped into it AFAIK. If it's made of sufficiently hardened steel - then there's a risk of damaging the whole contraption by trying to stamp a number into it.

Sorry, you asked for thoughts, to me it's a dumb idea...

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the price point? Like you said you still have to obtain the other parts and at what price?

Part of the allure of unfinished lowers and such if for those who desire things to be "off the books". Price isn't the main concern.

How similar is the 320 insert frame to the 250? From everything I can see theyre almost, if not identical, just with different internals.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What I have generally found with the 80% anything crowd has nothing to do with illegal anything and more to do with simply not wanting the gov. In their business(frankly as it should be) and even more so just wanting to tinker and build their own gun for the sake of tinkering and building their own gun.

That's too much work and thought for the average criminal.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great idea, especially given how modular the P320 is already, grip frames and conversion kits are easily obtained.

It certainly makes no less sense than any other 80% receiver.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there is an exception about serial #'s on guns made for personal use, not sale. There used to be.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I unintentionally criticized the 80% anything crowd - that wasn't my intention. I haven't been in a traffic stop since 1997 - but I can't imagine being comfortable with a non-serialized but working firearm in the car if I ever am. In some instances the officer, from what I have seen here, will want to take the handgun back to his vehicle during the proceedings. Could lead to some problems - but it may be OK. Just not for me - I shoulda been clear about that.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
I guess I unintentionally criticized the 80% anything crowd - that wasn't my intention. I haven't been in a traffic stop since 1997 - but I can't imagine being comfortable with a non-serialized but working firearm in the car if I ever am. In some instances the officer, from what I have seen here, will want to take the handgun back to his vehicle during the proceedings. Could lead to some problems - but it may be OK. Just not for me - I shoulda been clear about that.

I have been stopped a couple times and never was there any question about disarming me or taking my firearm during the stop.

No offense was taken by me, but as you're starting to see, there are many reasons to want to build an 80%. In some ways I equate it the justification 'reason' that was required on NFA paperwork...do you really need a suppressor or a short barrel rifle? My reasons are all lawful purposes and in a free society we shouldn't be asking what your needs are.

While stripped blem AR lowers had been selling for $40-50 apiece, I paid more ($60 each) for three 80% lowers just for the giggles of building it myself...but I like to tinker.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with 80% receivers.

But in the case of the P320 three issues come to mind;

1) Are parts available to complete this, would one require an entire pistol to get the parts?
2) Would the overall costs be justified?
3) Perhaps most important, due to the timing of the components required for for safe operation, how precise must the pin holes and milled surfaces be?

#3 Is especially important to me since the P320C I bought new in Jan 2015, had shortly thereafter developed an excessively long double click on the trigger pull that eventually worked into a failure to reset at the range.
Pushing down on the back of the slide while pulling the trigger would result in a normal double click (obviously dry firing only).
I was able to rectify the issue but probably blew away my warranty in doing so.

I suspect that a burr or high spot on some part wore away while breaking it in dry firing thus creating the issue.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a few 80% projects just for fun, really to use my small mill for fun things. But here I don't see how its possible. Sig will not sell the internals of the FCU. I know that making them as an individual is totally impractical. SO either I steal them from an existing FCU (seems stupid) or the vendor makes most of it and I get to finish it (the 20%), which seems equally impractical.
I'm guessing this will not see the light of day.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Serious question for the 80 percent crowd.

Do you guys think that the government is not going to know who has the 80 percent stuff when and if we ever come to the point that the government is attempting to examine who has guns in this country????? Do you really think that you are far enough off the grid that they are going to to "Shit, I don't find any 4473s in his name, he must be good to go?".

That might be a good selling point, but if it were to come down to it, your 80 percent stuff is going to be sought just like all of my guns on a 4473 will. The lack of a 4473 isn't going to save you. The "Oh, yeah, how are they going to know" is a foolish retort as they are many other indicators of who has/who does not have guns in this country. There are many databases out there that can be searched to find your firearms footprint.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
You're correct, lots of ways to track me down already, but that's not the reason I built mine.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Keeping off the grid? Depends on how the parts are bought. Paying with cash and buying local it could be done. Around here ARs are easier (from a parts buying standpoint), but I know I could corral all of the parts for a Polymer 80 G17 or G19 build without having to turn on my smartphone or computer.

Now if only I could do something about those pesky traffic and surveillance cams... Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Do you have a state issued concealed weapons permit? Any hunting/shooting sports related business licenses? NRA vanity tags? Gun stickers on your vehicle? Does the postal service deliver the American Rifleman to your house? (and that is just a few indicators that are available about people)

Not trying to be a kook here, just pointing out that if the government were to go looking, buying used guns "with no paperwork" or the 80 percent route is not going to shield you from government scrutiny. Most everyone has a footprint that would lead someone who might be looking for guns straight to their door.

Some people think that it will, but anyone with a good access to a few data bases, and a 5th grade education can figure out quickly who most likely may be armed. The "off the books" idea is a joke when reality sets in that people have far more indicators on whether they own guns or not.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never tried one of the 80% lowers personally. However, I have contemplated them. My reasoning has nothing to do with government tracking (they'll figure it out if they decide to try), and everything to do with my desire to participate in the building process.

I've built several AR's, uppers and lowers. I've fully customized a government 1911 into a personal "custom". I've learned to fully disassemble and reassemble almost every firearm I own, and bought countless tools to do so. FOR ME, the attraction is directly on these lines -
"building it" myself.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd... I haven't posted in a while, but apparently my post count got restarted...

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i see this huge in CA due to the stupid handgun roster. guns not on the roster fetch a premium. p320s easily go for $1000-1100. not uncommon to sell for $1300-1400. and i see x5's listed for $2000+. going the 80% route you can have a p320 without paying that premium.

i was able to pick up 2 p320s when we could get them through a single shot exemption which is no longer available. i'm considering posting mine for sale at a ridiculously high price and seeing if it sells. i would like to fund another build im working on. so if someone wants to pay,i'm thinking $1500ish, then i'd sell but, if it's too high and no one wants to buy it i'm just fine keeping it.

Posts: 97 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Do you have a state issued concealed weapons permit? Any hunting/shooting sports related business licenses? NRA vanity tags? Gun stickers on your vehicle? Does the postal service deliver the American Rifleman to your house? (and that is just a few indicators that are available about people)

Not trying to be a kook here, just pointing out that if the government were to go looking, buying used guns "with no paperwork" or the 80 percent route is not going to shield you from government scrutiny. Most everyone has a footprint that would lead someone who might be looking for guns straight to their door.

Some people think that it will, but anyone with a good access to a few data bases, and a 5th grade education can figure out quickly who most likely may be armed. The "off the books" idea is a joke when reality sets in that people have far more indicators on whether they own guns or not.

True, for almost all of us here it's too late in terms of staying out of the eyes of undesired scrutiny. But for a somewhat paranoid, relative newbie, the possibility does exist.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
While the feds allow 80% guns, do all the states? I could see this being very illegal at the state level in anti states.

quote:
Originally posted by jay_cue:
i see this huge in CA due to the stupid handgun roster. guns not on the roster fetch a premium. p320s easily go for $1000-1100. not uncommon to sell for $1300-1400. and i see x5's listed for $2000+. going the 80% route you can have a p320 without paying that premium.

i was able to pick up 2 p320s when we could get them through a single shot exemption which is no longer available. i'm considering posting mine for sale at a ridiculously high price and seeing if it sells. i would like to fund another build im working on. so if someone wants to pay,i'm thinking $1500ish, then i'd sell but, if it's too high and no one wants to buy it i'm just fine keeping it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post