SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Difficulty Racking Slide in new CT380
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difficulty Racking Slide in new CT380 Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday I was able to pick up a near-new CT380 here locally. I sold my CW380 because the grip was just too small - but it was 100% reliable thru around 70 rounds. I really like my CM9 - the slide is tough to rack, but not nearly as difficult and it's big enough to get a good grip on it.

I also have a SIG P230SL - the slide is a little tough to rack on it but an order of magnitude (or two!) easier than the CT380. So - here is a Kahr-newbie question: I'm thinking about ordering a spare inner recoil spring from Kahr - then clipping about 1/4 or 1/3 off of the original inner recoil spring. Hopefully that might reduce the gi-normous slide racking effort?

I'm kinda-sorta savvy about semi-autos so I understand this might cause reliability issues and maybe some frame battering. But, this is a pistol that I'm only going to put a box or two through it - then put it into my carry rotation. Is anyone here on Sig Forum Kahr-savvy? Do I have rocks for brains? It'll be easy to reverse by swapping the inner spring back to the original.

For the life of me - I cannot understand why the CT380 is so tightly sprung - given that it's not a blowback...

Edited to add: yes, I'm aware that a lot of folks here prolly consider Kahr's to be one step above Hi-Points. That said, I've had no reliability problems with either the CW380 or CM9...

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would put some rounds downrange and see if it loosens up a bit. If that does not work I would call Kahr and see if they would suggest changing the weight on the spring. Just my two cents. I am assuming you are using a good grip and racking technique.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am assuming you are using a good grip and racking technique.

I'm wondering about this too, in particular with such a small gun that has little slide or grip to grasp. Be sure you're using all the mechanical advantage you can get. This site covers slide racking techniques: http://www.corneredcat.com/art...-gun/rack-the-slide/ Don't be put off by its being aimed at women.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents for the good info. I'm just going to leave it alone for a coupla days and let my hands and forearms recover - I have been mucking with it too much the past two days. And, I haven't fired it yet so hopefully it will improve over time. I also appreciate the link on racking techniques - I self-identify as a teenage girl Wink so I wasn't put off at all by it's focus on women ...

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Try this: Lock the slide back on your unloaded pistol for a week or so.

I did that on my Browning HI Power 40 cal with the 20# recoil spring and it helped some.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I can only say that the slide of my SIG P238 .380 is easier to rack than any other semi auto that I've ever owned, or fired. I love this little gem.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I can only say that the slide of my SIG P238 .380 is easier to rack than any other semi auto that I've ever owned, or fired. I love this little gem.

Aye - but there aren't any problems to solve with SIG's - they're so boring! One needs a Kahr, a Hi-Point and maybe even a Davis derringer to help one sharpen one's problem solving skills ... Wink

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:

Edited to add: yes, I'm aware that a lot of folks here prolly consider Kahr's to be one step above Hi-Points. That said, I've had no reliability problems with either the CW380 or CM9...

I'm a bit put off that anyone would compare a Kahr to a Hipoint.
I'm with you that I've never had a problem with any of my Kahrs after the 200 rd break-in.

I like my CM9 so much I had it refinished in Ion-Bond.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Try this: Lock the slide back on your unloaded pistol for a week or so.

I did that on my Browning HI Power 40 cal with the 20# recoil spring and it helped some.

I did that as well with my Kahr CW380 and it helped a bit.
I've only run 100 rds thru it and need another 100 before I replace my LCP with the CW380.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I'm assuming the CT380 is a blow back action like the Sig p232 and Beretta 85/84. The blow backs by design have very stiff recoil springs, whereas the P238, although SAO, is not blow back nor a 1911 action. It is a tilting barrel type action that requires a much lighter spring so racking the slide is much easier.

As already suggested, leave the slide locked back for a couple of weeks and/or shoot the hell out of it. Either or both will tend to lighten up the recoil spring. I definitely would not clip the recoil spring.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Edited to add: yes, I'm aware that a lot of folks here prolly consider Kahr's to be one step above Hi-Points.

Wait, what?

Don't confuse Kahr's slide break-in to Hi-Points slides breaking. Wink

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
CT380 is tilting barrel type action much like a traditional Sig or Glock.
All mine have been a bit tight when new..

Okay, I just assumed it was a blow back. I looked up a few reviews and hard to rack is one of the main complaints. Again, I assume this will lighten up some with use, but it seems the spring system is designed to reduce recoil at the expense of a stiff slide. Still, seems like a nice little pistol.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took it out today and it runs great! OK, truth is I only ran four mags thru it because range time is $20 an hour ... Frown (and I had four other handguns to shoot). I've been keeping the slide locked back each night since I saw that suggestion here. I think it's easier to rack now, but letting my arms rest for a couple of days has also helped. If I had paid 500+ for it then I would be disappointed. I also put a tritium front site on it although it's not ready for carry, yet. For $300, it's now a keeper.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been keeping the slide locked back each night since I saw that suggestion here. I think it's easier to rack now, but letting my arms rest for a couple of days has also helped.

You will get a better result by leaving the slide locked back continuously for a week, but it may work as you are doing , but perhaps take longer.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post